Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) v0.9

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Hetdegon wrote:In terms of subweapons I seem to end up always settling for the Cross Mine. It's really good and looks pretty nice, specially after the latest changes.
Yes, I think putting the RIPPER flag on it helped a lot.
As a little wish for future updates, I found that some dynamic lights would be a pretty welcomed addition. Also the Buster is perhaps the most underwhelming weapon around. I love it to bits, but every time I get it I end up changing for something stronger because it just doesn't perform very well. Seems to overlap heavily with the Crush Blast, which does better damage and is, somehow, more efficient at clearing large amount of, say, imps. And the Storm Grenade as well (barring the parabolic trajectory).
I was on the fence about dynamic lights, since I wasn't sure if it would take away from the retro feel. However, there were times where there was a Strike Orb in a dark room, and thought a dynamic light on it would have looked nice, so I think I will add them in after all. As for the Buster, I could probably up the damage a bit, since it does seem weaker than some of the other weapons. I believe I need to increase the range and damage of the L2 effect as well, and maybe even change the L3 effect just a bit.
As for the music, well, don't take the irony bit as a criticism. I grew up with a lot of the music featured here, so it feels good to me. Got a couple of extremely fitting ones in a few dire situations and it was just *right*.
Oh no, of course I didn't take it as criticism! I just wish there was a better way to preview SNES music. Currently, my method is selecting a random letter from the SNESmusic.org site, looking through the list and finding the game with the most interesting name, or something that sounds futuristic. Afterwards, I look up one of the song titles on Youtube. As you can tell, it's not the most efficient method, but I get results.
Anyway, it's a great mod, definitely one of my favorites. I look forward to see how it evolves!
Why thank you! And as always, feedback is much appreciated. I do have some nice and interesting plans for future updates. One involves sub-weapons...

I made some slight changes to the Repeater and Triple Wyvern. For the Repeater, I increased the damage of the L2 and L3 effects further. Also, the L2 effect was missing the +FORCERADIUSDMG flag, so I added that in. As for the Triple Wyvern, I upped the base damage slightly & scaled up the Damage Factor against bosses and high tier enemies, while also reducing the spread, so hopefully it will be useful in more situations. These will be in the next update!
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

Cool mod bro. It's really good. The only compliant I have is that four weapons share the same sprite. Will you change that in the future, because that would be appreciated. Other than that this mod is great!
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Ts879 wrote:Cool mod bro. It's really good. The only compliant I have is that four weapons share the same sprite. Will you change that in the future, because that would be appreciated. Other than that this mod is great!
Definitely! When this mod was still very young, the original plan was to have the Spitfire graphic (the pistol) used on all weapons. The idea was that the "Ammo" type was changing and not the weapon itself. I decided to change things up when players suggested adding different weapon graphics, and I thought seeing the same weapon all the time would eventually become boring. I slowly changed the appearance for weapons with each update, with this recent update changing nearly all of them. Hopefully I can find some neat weapon sprites to replace the rest of the weapons and ship them out with the next update.

Thank you for the feedback!
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

I see you are still active on this mod. I have a bug. Hold down the key you have bound to Bullet Eye mode and hold down the fire key. You will now rapid fire whatever primary weapon you currently wield. Now as fun as this bug is (especially with the crush blast, as it sucks enemies to it and kills them) it really breaks the mod...
But it also gives me an idea...
It would be cool if you added some sort of special attack to each weapon that can be performed only with precise timing, or maybe an alt firing mode.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Chloroxite wrote:I see you are still active on this mod. I have a bug. Hold down the key you have bound to Bullet Eye mode and hold down the fire key. You will now rapid fire whatever primary weapon you currently wield. Now as fun as this bug is (especially with the crush blast, as it sucks enemies to it and kills them) it really breaks the mod...
But it also gives me an idea...
It would be cool if you added some sort of special attack to each weapon that can be performed only with precise timing, or maybe an alt firing mode.
Yes, I actually didn't get to fix all of the weapons that had that bug yet. I think I will release a small update soon that adds some much needed fixes and changes, and also a new enemy once I finish it, which I am close to doing soon. As for special attacks on primary weapons, I was actually thinking of doing something like that. Perhaps pressing a key to switch to this mode, which would then consume Sub-Weapon Ammo to power the shots with a different effect. Nothing too extravagant, since I plan to have it act the same no matter what level weapon you have. Or I could only make it only usable at level 3. I'll have to see what I can come up with to make things interesting!
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

I also have another idea! Arcade style death animations. For example, enemies bounce into the air and explode upon death, the bigger they are, the more explosive.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Chloroxite wrote:I also have another idea! Arcade style death animations. For example, enemies bounce into the air and explode upon death, the bigger they are, the more explosive.
Get out of my head! I was planning to do that too! Though, I was on the fence of that type of animation or the beat-em up style, where they launch into the air, fall to the ground, and then blink in and out before fully disappearing. I also had the idea to turn enemies into flying gibs when killed with the Bullet-Eye. Some of the custom enemies I plan to add already have sprites for such a situation too, so I'm thinking I'll do it!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

If you are going to do a vintage style feedback system like that, i would suggest something like making enemies flash red when in a wounded state (<25% health or something,) or even having tougher enemies flash white and go into a temporary invul after taking damage shots... that last one might hurt the balance of some of the weapons though, so you could always take the weaker high RoF ones and give them a foilinvul flag or the like to compensate (or even set special pain thresholds that require a minimum damage to trigger the temporary invul)
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Do explosions. Not meat or blood explosions, like actual fiery explosions like if every single enemy was loaded full of gasoline and firecrackers. Now that's truly arcadey.

(...I miss that so much in modern games...)
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

Bug report:

If you're out of sub-weapon ammo, and you hold down the sub-weapon button while firing most weapons (the Spitfire doesn't work, there might be others as well), you'll begin spamming it like crazy. As far as I've discovered, you need to actually have a sub-weapon for this to work.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Atendega wrote:Bug report:
If you're out of sub-weapon ammo, and you hold down the sub-weapon button while firing most weapons (the Spitfire doesn't work, there might be others as well), you'll begin spamming it like crazy. As far as I've discovered, you need to actually have a sub-weapon for this to work.
HEY! You...You knock that off! Nah, I actually mentioned this earlier. I should really get to fixing it since it's the most common bug report. The reason it doesn't work on the Spitfire is because I fixed it for said weapon!

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT...I will work on that problem now, and even finish up the new War Visor effect. Hopefully I can finish these small changes in a few hours or less, so then I can release it today. There won't be anything major in the update, other than some bug fixes and more balancing. However, it WILL have the new Mancubus replacement, so as stated, I hope to finish this small update up today so I can get some feedback on the new enemy.
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

Welp, guess I should have scanned the topic more thoroughly, sorry about that :oops:
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I feel like the weapons and abilities could do with more impact. Unlike some of the other retro-themed mods that employ flickering or custom effects when hitting/killing enemies, Bullet-Eye just has the standard Doom flinch (if that). What's worse, is since pretty much everything is projectile-based, there's no blood splatter. I attached a blood mod and added +BLOODSPLATTER to a few projectiles, which did make a noticeable difference. Problem is, I'm too lazy to add it to everything. It's my one real criticism of an otherwise enjoyable mod.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Atendega wrote:Welp, guess I should have scanned the topic more thoroughly, sorry about that :oops:
Don't worry about it at all! If anything, it just pushed me to fix this ASAP, since it seems to be such a commonly found bug.
Tekish wrote:I feel like the weapons and abilities could do with more impact. Unlike some of the other retro-themed mods that employ flickering or custom effects when hitting/killing enemies, Bullet-Eye just has the standard Doom flinch (if that). What's worse, is since pretty much everything is projectile-based, there's no blood splatter. I attached a blood mod and added +BLOODSPLATTER to a few projectiles, which did make a noticeable difference. Problem is, I'm too lazy to add it to everything. It's my one real criticism of an otherwise enjoyable mod.
Hopefully the little change I just released will partially fix that problem!

Look at this!
v0.9.1 - 6/3/17
=WEAPONS=
+BUSTER+
-Increased radius of L2 effect.
+SCRAP LAUNCHER+
-Reduced overall damage.
+QUICKSTRIKE+
-Damage reduced slightly.
+HUNTING LASER+
-Increased overall damage slightly.
+REPEATER+
-Increased damage of L3 and L2 effects and main projectile. L2 was missing +FORCERADISDMG flag.
+TRIPLE WYVERN+
-Increased damage slightly, and reduced spread.

=EQUIPMENT=
-Riskbreaker Armor now deals less damage, but occurs more often.
-War Visor drop has been re-enabled.

=ENEMIES=
-Added Mancubus replacement.
-Enemies now flash red when entering their pain state.

=MISC.=
-The player now starts with the Mag Shurikens Sub-Weapon.
Please let me know thoughts on the Mancubus replacement. I want to get the balance, challenge, etc. right! Also, hopefully I fixed the rapid firing bug.
Ryuhi

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) v0.9.1 - I see r

Post by Ryuhi »

=ENEMIES=
-Enemies now flash red when entering their pain state.
YESSSS~

Return to “Gameplay Mods”