Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.3b - To Arms!

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Shadez12 wrote:During gameplay, I found myself with 3 weapons, specifically after picking up a slot 2 Repeater while with the Hunting Laser and Wyvern
Did you have the new pistol start type option enabled? And did you download it just recently or around the time the update was recently released? I came across that problem myself and believe I have fixed it, and also uploaded it about 3 hours after the initial update. Hopefully this isn't a new problem!

Edit: Nope. It was a problem that I was notified of on Discord a few days ago. I fixed it for the Slot 1 Powerup, but not the Slot 2. Thanks for that!
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Found a weird-ass bug: If switching from Dual Layered Mail to Combat Armor: Thorn, it drops Enduring Protector instead.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Ikazu-san wrote:Found a weird-ass bug: If switching from Dual Layered Mail to Combat Armor: Thorn, it drops Enduring Protector instead.
Oh, that? Because I'm a dummy. Fixed, and thanks for the report!

Since I don't want to just post this single reply, allow me to show what I am currently working on:

This webm shows two Spitfire weapons. The first uses the old style, and the second uses extra (scaled) frames to allow for a more fluid animation. I will be doing this for all primary weapons: https://my.mixtape.moe/aothsh.webm

Here, I am working on unique weapon switch sounds for every weapon. Some may still need work, but here is what I have so far: https://my.mixtape.moe/oybzfq.webm
Comreak

Post by Comreak »

I've really been enjoying this mod, but I've been having an issue with crashes while using certain max-level weapons. It seems related to weapons that have a lot of projectiles flying around and bouncing off walls, but I can't be sure. For example, with the level three Spitfire weapon, if I fire it as quickly as I can, a crash is pretty much guaranteed. The dialog after the crash usually says something about an access violation, so something to do with memory management?

I did some testing using the current development builds for GZDoom and QZDoom, as well as the current stable builds for each, with versions of Bullet-Eye going back to 0.9.2, and the crashes happened with the Spitfire weapon at level 3 every time. I think I might've had some crashes with other bouncy-projectile weapons during normal play, but I didn't do any testing for weapons besides Spitfire, so I can't say for sure.

All in all, it's been pretty frustrating since Spitfire is one of my faves because of the fire-as-fast-as-you-want (sort of) aspect.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Comreak wrote:I've really been enjoying this mod, but I've been having an issue with crashes while using certain max-level weapons. It seems related to weapons that have a lot of projectiles flying around and bouncing off walls, but I can't be sure. For example, with the level three Spitfire weapon, if I fire it as quickly as I can, a crash is pretty much guaranteed. The dialog after the crash usually says something about an access violation, so something to do with memory management?

I did some testing using the current development builds for GZDoom and QZDoom, as well as the current stable builds for each, with versions of Bullet-Eye going back to 0.9.2, and the crashes happened with the Spitfire weapon at level 3 every time. I think I might've had some crashes with other bouncy-projectile weapons during normal play, but I didn't do any testing for weapons besides Spitfire, so I can't say for sure.

All in all, it's been pretty frustrating since Spitfire is one of my faves because of the fire-as-fast-as-you-want (sort of) aspect.
That's very unfortunate. I've consulted a friend, and I think it may have to do with so many actors being spawned, as the Spitfire projectiles are not only the projectiles themselves, but they also spawn a sprite-based glow effect. That's gonna eat up memory! Therefore, I will see about adding an option in a small update that will allow one to disable such effects. Hopefully this will help you with this problem!

If this does help you, you will be pleased to know that the Spitfire will also receive better responsiveness in the semi-auto fire department, therefore allowing one to truly fire as fast as one can click!
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Panzermann11 »

Will you make the HUD support the 5:4 aspect ratio?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Finder153 wrote:Will you make the HUD support the 5:4 aspect ratio?
I'll see what I can do about that!

On another note, since players seem to want new enemies the most above all else, I am working on adding new ones. Here is a preview of one of them!

The Bounder here, is a Demon replacement, and you'll find it can be quite the annoyance, especially in packs. They like to charge at you, run away after taking damage, and just love to dodge! The Spectre will use a different enemy altogether, so don't expect to find stealth Bounders!

Also, don't worry that the "New Enemies" poll option is winning. I will still add a few new primary and sub-weapons! For now though, I'll focus on the new enemies, and hope you will find them unique and challenging to combat!
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Other than ear-cutting screeches, these things doesn't seem much more annoying that vanilla pinkies. Fancy-nice spritework and...
Oh boy, do I see a level 4 weapons in the possible future?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Mor'Ladim wrote:The Bounder here, is a Demon replacement, and you'll find it can be quite the annoyance, especially in packs. They like to charge at you, run away after taking damage, and just love to dodge! The Spectre will use a different enemy altogether, so don't expect to find stealth Bounders!
Ahh, good ol' shadowcaster sprites. I've had a feeling that someone could use some of the sprites!
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.4 - New Neighbors

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Hey there! I've just released an update. Unfortunately, life hit me pretty hard recently, so I didn't get to add in all of the changes I wanted with this round, such as new weapons. But I've pretty much made a full recovery, so I will definitely focus on new weapons and sub-weapons in the next update! For now, enjoy some more quality of life changes, changes to some equipment items to make them more attractive, and a few new enemies!
v0.9.4 - 8/17/17
=WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Some weapons given more fluid firing animations.
-Adjusted DamageFactor values for some weapons on all enemies.
+SPITFIRE+
-Reduced damage, but increased the responsiveness of the semi-auto fire.
+SPREAD SHOT+
-Increased damage.
+BLAZE STREAM+
-Flames now fire out in a cone instead of a single line, and projectile graphics have been changed. Damage reduced to compensate.
-L2 effect changed.
-L3 fireball launched after firing ends is now smaller, moves faster, and fires out less fireballs.
+SCRAP LAUNCHER+
-Projectile speed slightly increased.
+RAPID VULCAN+
-New critical hit graphic added.
+VOLLEY SHOT+
-Reduced sound usage on L3 floor projectiles so as not to slightly distort other sounds.
+REPEATER+
-Reduced damage of L2 and L3 projectiles and effects.
+BULLET-EYE+
-Now grants a short grace period when activating, granting invincibility during the spin up animation.

=SUB WEAPONS=
-Sub-Weapons now grant Bullet-Eye Energy on an enemy hit. Some have a lower chance, such as the Scatter Bombs, due to multiple projectiles being fired out.
-Ammo usage for some Sub-Weapons increased slightly.

=ENEMIES=
+GENERAL+
-New Chaingunner replacement, "Riveting Bombadier" added.
-New Demon replacement, "Bounder" added.
-New Spectre replacement, "Gargant" added.
-Lost Souls made more aggressive, but health and damage have been reduced.
+DREAD VISAGE+
-Projectile damage reduced.
-New attack gained, "Strafing Run".
+CYCLOPTIC BRUTE+
-Fires an additional plasma projectile and the projectiles now also have a slight spread.
-Homing Missile speed increased and damage slightly adjusted, but the missiles can now be shot down.

=EQUIPMENT=
-Dual Layered Mail has been fixed to work on any map. Before, it only worked on the map you acquired it on.
-Dual Layered Mail now plays a sound when you take damage while the effect has triggered.
-Vital Gloves now grant 50 bonus health when Bullet-Eye Mode is activated, in addition to its current effect.
-Tech Guard now adds a new Strike Orb's duration to your remaining current duration, in addition to its current effect.
-Forged Helmet now grants 2 units of weak shields upon an enemy kill, in addition to its current effect.

=ITEMS=
-Max Health Up Orbs now always drop from bosses, but grant 3 points of max health instead of 5.
-Weapon Enhancer drop chance slightly increased.

=MISC.=
-Chaos Mode returns.
Enjoy, and please let me know if there needs to be any balance changes to any of the new enemies.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet but... the mod breaks Dead Simple.

Also, helmets and the other equipment parts can only be picked up when not in lock mode regardless of whether or not you already have equipment in the slot of the item you're trying to pick up or not. Lastly, picking up things that are in the same space as others can be a pain when you don't want to also pick up those other things. For objects that aren't exactly in the same space, maybe you could make it so that there is a pickup cooldown to prevent picking up 2 objects at the same time when you don't want to? This would give you the opportunity to allow items you pick up to spread out as you scatter them around so you can separate them better for easier inventory management.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Very nice. These chaingunners are as pain in the ass as the real deal.
I should've suggested these things way earlier, but.
1) Score needs immunity to death exits.
2) Scrap Launcher's L3 upgrade is p. bad. I can't write properly, so I did a crude drawing instead. https://my.mixtape.moe/zqvqqd.png
Lime

Post by Lime »

This mod really goes well from new enemies, weapons, tweaks, and so on. Updates are getting better and better.
- One Bug, Using the LVL3?(or is it LVL2) Blaze Stream, Ground Flames are bugged and just stuck in my feet until I die.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

WELL, I'm a dummy and forgot to change some jumps around related to Bullet-Eye, so it will crash the game as soon as you use it if you have certain pieces of equipment. Fixed it! Be sure to grab the new, small update!
Someone64 wrote:Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet but... the mod breaks Dead Simple.

Also, helmets and the other equipment parts can only be picked up when not in lock mode regardless of whether or not you already have equipment in the slot of the item you're trying to pick up or not. Lastly, picking up things that are in the same space as others can be a pain when you don't want to also pick up those other things. For objects that aren't exactly in the same space, maybe you could make it so that there is a pickup cooldown to prevent picking up 2 objects at the same time when you don't want to? This would give you the opportunity to allow items you pick up to spread out as you scatter them around so you can separate them better for easier inventory management.
Thought I fixed the Dead Simple bug. Turns out I forgot to remove the special Arachnotron spawner. It appears to be working now! As for not being able to pick up equipment for a slot you currently have no item for, I was actually going to do something about that, but got distracted with other things in the mod and never got around to it. I'll try to get it in with the next update! For pickups being too close, maybe I can do something like adding the ability to shoot at them to nudge them a bit. The problem with that though, is that they will be launched everywhere in the middle of fights. I'll figure something out! Thank you for your feedback!
Ikazu-san wrote: 1) Score needs immunity to death exits.
2) Scrap Launcher's L3 upgrade is p. bad.
I'll see if I can fix it in the next version, as well as improving the system to allow points for combos or other tricks. I did change the Scrap Launcher with this update using your suggestion, though! Thanks!
Lime wrote: - One Bug, Using the LVL3?(or is it LVL2) Blaze Stream, Ground Flames are bugged and just stuck in my feet until I die.
Had a feeling it would be the slot two version with the problem. I fixed it, and even went further and prevented it from still taking effect when dead! Hopefully that's the end of it! Thanks for the feedback and bug report!

There's also a magazine scan that may help you with these new enemies!

insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Mor'Ladim wrote:Image
Nice scans! Which magazine did you get it from? Game Winner? PC Area? Gamer's Pro?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”