[v0.999] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

Re: [v0.999] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Post by Mikk- »

Pardon the bump but I've been working on version 2 of Custom Gun, subtitled the ZScript-ening. This is ground-up rework of the Custom Gun system using ZScript. Hopefully I'll have a v2 demo up soon.

Some notable changes are:
  • All bullet attacks are now projectile based tracers, not hitscan.
  • Several changes to the current elemental system (including new element types)
  • The player now starts with a Reset module which does not expire
and some planned features:
  • Weapon Durability - once your weapon durability reaches 0 it becomes 'broken', all stats are lowered and elemental effects are removed. Cannot be repaired once broken
  • Repair Modules - special items which come in a variety of rarities that restore your weapon's Durability gauge
  • Behaviour specific modules - such as burst fire, spread shot, charge-shot etc.
If anyone has any suggestions then feel free to post them - I'd love to hear your thoughts
Last edited by Mikk- on Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pokky

Post by Pokky »

The shuffle mod needs balancing.
For example, shuffling a nice rocket launcher with full mod slots. Any mod stats will be integrated into the weapon's base stat permanently after the shuffle.
You can do this over and over again to further raise the weapon stats as long as you have the shuffle mod.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Yeah shuffle is pretty broken.

The ZScript version is coming along nicely. I'm still up for requests/suggestions, should anybody have them.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Mikk- wrote:
  • Weapon Durability - once your weapon reaches a certain level of quality it becomes 'broken', all stats are lowered and elemental effects are removed. Cannot be repaired once broken
Something is worng in this sentence,i don't think quality is the topic in discusion... just saying :wink:
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

kadu522 wrote:
Mikk- wrote:
  • Weapon Durability - once your weapon reaches a certain level of quality it becomes 'broken', all stats are lowered and elemental effects are removed. Cannot be repaired once broken
Something is worng in this sentence,i don't think quality is the topic in discusion... just saying :wink:
hah, my bad. I was rather tired when writing that post. That being said in regards to durability, once it reaches 0 the weapon breaks completely and cannot be used - it is tossed from the player's inventory. Though you are given fair warning before a weapon breaks. Repair software can only be used on weapons that are not completely broken.

To break down durability further - there is a total 'condition' variable which represents the current durability, there is also the decay rate (a random number between 2 and 4) and a variable for the current decay. Each time the weapon is fired, the current decay is raised by one, and when that decay is equal to the decay rate, the weapon loses a point in durability. Multiple factors affect the weapon's condition and decay values, such as whether it was dropped by a monster or if it's heavily modded - factory stock weapons do not deteriorate nearly as fast as a weapon that is overloaded with powerful modules.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Hmm, personally I'd prefer such a system to be optional or at least having some cheat to opt-out, but let's give it a spin and see how it goes. Considering getting a really interesting weapon can be rare or take various mods, it's gonna feel kinda crappy if the weapons break too fast to the point you lose all attachment to them. Unless, of course, repairs mods are relatively common to allow you to maintain at least one custom favorite weapon.
I think breaking systems are better when weapons aren't customizable (see latest Zelda) or when the weapon breaks it gets a huge power down, but can still be repaired (even if at a higher cost).
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I feel the system is fair enough that your weapons don't break after a level, but punishing enough if you're careless with your shots - especially on the new weapon attachment modules.

I'm considering either adding a menu option or cheat - or perhaps even tying weapon deterioration to game skill.

I've hit a milestone, now. All bullet weapons are complete! So all I've left to do is Plasma, Rocket, BFG & Chainsaw. I also have to convert the mod software to ZScript and I'm done! I've been testing this with Colorful Hell and it's mighty fun!
N1ch0l2s

Post by N1ch0l2s »

Unless this mod's dead, is there any chance of it being updated? And is there any way of summoning the mods? Or just giving yourself them?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

The mod isn't dead, I've just been busy with real life stuff unfortunately. You can use the "give all" cheat to obtain all the weapon mods, if you like.
N1ch0l2s

Post by N1ch0l2s »

Mikk- wrote:The mod isn't dead, I've just been busy with real life stuff unfortunately. You can use the "give all" cheat to obtain all the weapon mods, if you like.
I was hoping for a way to give myself a specific weapon mod, but that works too.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Well there's several variations of each mod
all the weapon mods begin with this prefix

Code: Select all

C_WEAPONMOD_*
replace the * with

Code: Select all

UPGRADE1			// Upgrade 
DNGRADE				// Downgrade 
UPGRADE2			// MAX Upgrade 
SHUFFLE				// Shuffle 

ACCURACY_COMMON		// Accuracy 
ACCURACY_RARE
ACCURACY_LEGENDARY

DAMAGE_COMMON		// Damage 
DAMAGE_RARE
DAMAGE_LEGENDARY

SAWRANGE_COMMON		// Chainsaw Range 
SAWRANGE_RARE
SAWRANGE_LEGENDARY

PROJSPEED_COMMON	// Rocket/Plasma Projectile Speed	
PROJSPEED_RARE
PROJSPEED_LEGENDARY

EXPLMOD_COMMON		// Rocket Explosion Radius/Damage
EXPLMOD_RARE
EXPLMOD_LEGENDARY

FIRE				// Incendiary
EXPL				// High-Explosive
FROZ				// Frozen
PLAS 				// Experimental
POIS				// Toxic
VAMP 				// Vampiric
RIPP				// Piercing
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

i cant download your mod and/or maybe your link is broken it says "The connection has timed out"
Lim0n4eG

Post by Lim0n4eG »

download/file.php?id=40326
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

There's a download link attached to Wolfman's post here.

I do plan on returning to Custom Gun at some point in the future as version 0.999 is pretty buggy and unfinished.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Mikk- wrote:I do plan on returning to Custom Gun at some point in the future as version 0.999 is pretty buggy and unfinished.
That'd be delightful, it's a fun one.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”