[v0.999] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: [v0.4] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Post by chronoteeth »

thats kinda a bummer really, i dont think anyone has actually done something like that :o
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

wow, yet another mod to try when i get home, this sounds like a REALLY REALLY good idea.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I'm trying to work on the projectile weapons (Rocket launcher, Plasma and BFG) but I don't really know what I can do to alter their behaviour. Obviously impact damage. But what other features could I add? I guess I could have projectile speed. I think adding spread would work against the idea. Also what Specials could I have? I want something different for the projectile weaponry, of course.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas. If you think of any new specials or mods I'd love to hear.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, turning rockets into AOE attacks with all the specials that sort of billow out of the explosion would be nice.

accuracy can be used to add spread to projectile weapons? maybe you want a little spread with say the plasma gun.
damage is... well damage.
bullet count... triple bfg hmm. or triple plasma rifle.

by the way, there are no pistols that spawn it seems. might be nice to have a zombieman drop one from time to time, with stats.
also removing upgrades might be nice, but that could be tricky to code, so i wouldn't blame you if this wasn't added. sometimes you have to chuck out a weapon and start over.

wasnt too impressed by the toxic/poison effect. seemed like i was playing duke lifes a beach :P idk, maybe make it a poison puff instead?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Yeah, the toxic effect isn't really a good visual indicator. I didn't really know what to do with that while working with Doom's sprites.

Removing upgrades like Accuracy and Damage would be a pain, but removing Special upgrades like Overdrive, Icy, High-tech etc. would be doable.

For projectile weapons I don't know if I'd stick with the same stats as with the hitscan weaponry. I could add some different stats which makes upgrading your rocket launcher or plasma rifle a little different to upgrading your shotgun etc.

I had some ideas for other software, too. A rare drop which 'hacks' your Mod Counter allowing you to add more than the default limit, or another drop which randomises your weapon's stats completely - those sorts of things could be fun to toy with.
SuperSomariDX

Post by SuperSomariDX »

I'd definately love to he how those would play out. I already laughed like a maniac when I had an hefty Incid ssg with no spread, Revenants were dropping like flies, fun stuff.
goanna678

Post by goanna678 »

will you add support to the...
chainsaw
rocket launcher
plasma rifle
bfg9000
pls?
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Incendiary chaingun with even a single Bullet Count mod is hilariously overpowered. Add 3 more Bullet Count mods and Death quits his job in utter disgust.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

The other weapons are planned, just so you know. I'm still running several ideas through my head.

@Funky Gnoll: yeah incendiary is pretty overpowered especially combined with bullet count mods - which is why they're rare.

Future plans: Overdrive is now getting an overhaul - You will be able to use an Upgrade mod three times now. Each upgrade boosts your weapon's properties a little, instead of making the weapon instantly overpowered. As a result Upgrading only takes up one slot, not two.

The third and final upgrade will greatly increase your killing potential. For example, High Explosive at base level will have a small explosion and radius, at level 1 the damage and radius is bumped up a little, at level 2 the explosions now damage bosses and at level 3 each explosion releases a cluster of explosive projectiles from above.
Jigstraw

Post by Jigstraw »

Trying to give this a go as an alternative to the Doom Rogue-Like Arsenal mod, see what the key differences are, but I can't get it running. First I got an error saying sprite names somewhere in the code needed to be exactly 4 characters, but i realized i was on a dated version of GZDoom and updated to 2.2.0, and now I've got a script error. Don't feel like typing it out, so I took a screenshot.
Spoiler:
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Jigstraw

Post by Jigstraw »

Alright, that cleared it up. Thanks! Unfortunately my keyboard died today, and I'm not getting a replacement until tuesday, so I'll have to wait til then to try it unless it's a controller friendly mod. Using windows on-screen keyboard for now. xD
Mikk-

Re: [v0.999] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Post by Mikk- »

I've updated this mod to [v0.999] which means I'm really close to a full release - I just need to complete the BFG9000 [not touched in v0.999] - quite a lot has changed, so please view the main post for details.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Loving the new parts of the mod so far. I found that the toxic mod does no damage whatsoever to revenants and lost souls. And yet, the incendiary one works just fine. Also, apparently, the toxic mod (with a rocket launcher) can infect enemies through walls if they're close enough.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Oh bugger. A typo in the actor definitions means that Revenants and Lost Souls are immune to poison damage where they should be immune only to the infection damage, not the attack itself. I'll have that fixed in the morning. About the poison rockets infecting through walls I don't really know how I can tackle that as it uses A_RadiusGive to infect enemies.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”