=Project Ironclad= (It's not quite dead, it's sleeping)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
KarolineDianne

=Project Ironclad= (It's not quite dead, it's sleeping)

Post by KarolineDianne »

=PROJECT IRONCLAD=
(A WiP Gamplay Overhaul by Karoline Dianne aka Karla The Squid)
Current Version: 0.4

-Obligatory (Two versions outdated) Gameplay Footage-

(Behold my shitty amateur video editing!)

-Description-

Have you ever wanted to wade through demonic viscera in a big stompy suit of Power Armor?

Have you ever wanted to carry a rotary cannon that fires explosive shells in one hand, and an energy-wreathed sword in the other?

Have you ever wanted to punch a Hell Knight so hard it falls to bloody pieces?

Well now you can!

In Project Ironclad, you wear the titular Ironclad Armor, a large mechanized suit that augments your strength and resilience beyond human norms. Your physical might is such that you can turn the average human into chunky paste with a single punch, and you can carry weapons meant to be mounted on vehicles in one hand. The armored chassis protects you from small arms fire to a much greater extent than conventional body armor, and its reactive plating ensures that even direct hits from heavy ordinance are survivable. Grab your Fusion Cores and strap yourselves in for a wild ride, because the Pain Train is leaving the station. Its destination: Hell on Earth.

-Mod Features-

- An overhauled Health and Armor system: You start with 4 Armor Tokens. When your Health reaches 0, you lose an Armor Token. If your Health reaches 0 and you have no Armor Tokens, you die.

- Health Bonuses are now Armor Shards: Collect 100 Armor Shards to acquire 1 Armor Token. Stimpacks and Medikits are now Armor Chunks and Armor Plates. They increase your Armor Shard count even more.

- SoulSpheres are now Complete Armor Tokens: Collecting them grants you 1 Armor Token instantly.

- MegaSpheres are now Mjolnir Plating: Collecting them grants 2 Armor Tokens, as well as 200pts of Blue Shielding.

- InvulnerabilitySpheres are now Neutralization Shields: Collecting them grants you 400 points of Shielding, which blocks 100% damage.

- BlurSpheres are now LeechSpheres: Collecting them grants you Lifedrain for 60 seconds.

-Berserk Packs bring your Armor Token count up to 100 in addition to enhancing your melee prowess. Be sure to avoid grabbing one if you already have a Token almost complete!

- You have built-in toggleable night vision. Be sure to map the key in the controls menu.

- Several enemies now have more dangerous variants that may show up. Keep on your toes.

-Weapons-

- Fist: Every weapon now has a melee attack as their altfire. It's got a short delay, but it's quick and powerful and always ready.

- Chainsaw = Power Sword: Find this, and all your melee altfire attacks will have improved damage and range.

- Pistol = Balor Mk.II Handcannon: An oversized revolver that chambers explosive autocannon shells. Custom fit for the Ironclad Armor, and far too powerful for any normal human to use without breaking their wrist. Accurate and deadly, this powerful sidearm will remain a reliable fallback even when deadlier weapons have been obtained. Activate its alternate fire mode for an infinite-ammo blaster, perfect for shooting switches and conserving ammo against weak enemies. Toggle between modes with the Reload key.

- Shotgun = Gorgon Mk.I Flechette Gun: An experimental riot gun that was deemed too heavy for infantry use. This deadly cannon detonates canisters of jagged flechettes inside its barrel, launching them at high speeds to eviscerate anything in their path. While inaccurate and less damaging at longer ranges, this weapon has been known to turn entire groups of targets into bloody mulch at point blank. Includes an alternate fire mode that fires more flechettes in a wider spread for tremendous point-blank burst damage. Toggle between modes with the Reload key.

- SuperShotgun = Wyvern Mk.II Grenade Launcher: An unwieldy weapon designed for the Ironclad Armor's bulky hands. Simple, but effective, it lobs explosive canisters over a long distance, dealing heavy damage upon impact in a moderate area of effect. More reliable at damaging distant enemies than the Gorgon, but dangerous to use up close. Includes an alternate fire mode that launches a bounce grenade on a short fuse, useful for shooting around corners or hitting targets you can't properly arc to. Toggle between modes with the Reload key.

- Chaingun = Basilisk Mk.IV Heavy Autocannon: A large rotary cannon that fires explosive shells at a moderate rate. Normally found mounted on vehicles or turrets, this hefty weapon will stop larger enemies in their tracks, and turn crowds of smaller targets into a sea of paste. Activate its alternate fire mode to turn it into an incredibly high fire-rate minigun that can shred through crowds or keep large targets stunlocked. Toggle between modes with the Reload key.

- RocketLauncher = Chimera Mk.III Plasma Caster: A heavy, experimental energy weapon that has yet to be miniaturized for infantry use. It fires devastating bolts of high-energy plasma, which are capable of obliterating even the more powerful foes in only a handful of shots. This is useful, as it chews through Fission Cells like nobody's business. Includes an alternate fire mode that discharges a short-range blast of deadly, unfocused plasma, perfect for vaporizing crowds of smaller enemies up close. Toggle between modes with the Reload key.

- PlasmaRifle = Hydra Mk.I Pulse Rifle: A scaled down prototype of Plasma Caster technology that fires lower-energy bolts at a much higher rate. Its high rate of fire, damage, and accuracy make it the ideal energy assault rifle.Activate the alternate fire mode to shoot concentrated orbs of explosive pulse energy at a slower rate of fire. Toggle between modes with the Reload key.

- BFG9000 = The Jormungandr Mk.I Pulse Annihilator: An unstable and experimental weapon of tremendous destructive power. All data on its specs is classified, but it should go without saying that such a weapon is to be treated with care...

=Download Link=

DropBox

-Other Stuff-

- This mod should be compatible with all maps and music packs. However, it makes lots of changes to the PlayerPawn, as well as the StatusBar/Hud, and obviously to enemies and weapons. I've only tested it in gzDoom, and have no plans on refitting it to work on Zandronum. (Sorry)

- This is my first mod, if you don't count the handful of weapons I submitted to DUMP 3. If you guys have any suggestions, ideas, or want to point out bugs, imbalances, or other problems, please do. If you'd like to help me out with code, art assets, sounds, or anything else, I'd be more than happy for it. All the weapon sprites are placeholders right now, as well as the hud, and I've yet to change the player sprite. I'm going to keep working on this over time, but making new assets on my own isn't something I can do. Please do contact me if you'd like to help!

-ChangeLog-
Spoiler:
-Credits-
Spoiler:
Last edited by KarolineDianne on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 am, edited 12 times in total.
Thyrork

Re: =Project Ironclad= (A WiP gameplay overhaul)

Post by Thyrork »

It feels powerful to play this. The stomp and the slower movement but the overwhelmingly huge chunk of health and nasty looking and acting weapons make it have an interesting balance. Being able to splatter a demon without changing weapons is wonderful and magical and oh my goodness.

Its a solid start. One of the things you mentioned was a concern regarding armour. On some maps you will drown in it, in others you will be starved. My idea for that is to lift a page from Project MSX, where you exchange shielding into a super attack.

As you are using armour, you could do a few things. Explode a layer of the armour to shrapnel blast everything around you, or in a ludicrously deadly cone in front of you, or a singular devastating point of impact explosion on top of you.

The stompy shoe sound is great but a little loud. I do mean a little, I think maybe dropping it to 80% of its current sound would be perfect.

The red flash is a little too much for me, softer and maybe blue or green would be my suggestion.

The Health System:
Without regular armour, you’re more fragile, but the weapons and armour and stompy sounds makes you feel tougher and take risks. It's a wonderfully screwy experience that takes alittle to get used too and I love it. Actually having more health makes for reckless play and that's great in getting me killed.

The Baddies:
The “Mechanized Knight/Baron’s are real nasty and having some enemy variation like that is always great. The different marines giving cells is nice too.

The Guns:
Fist Replacement
That its on secondary fire makes melee a lot more satisfying. Plus it hits really hard! This is good stuff!
Chainsaw Replacement
I must admit, scary sword aside, I actually like the kinesis in thumpin’ someone. It's a perfectly functional upgrade but my heart will always be in a place of “I’m in giant power armour. *BOOF* Hey, punches pretty hard too.”
Pistol Replacement
I’m not feeling it actually. It looks badass and it's fun to use, but it’s not quite deadly enough for me. Maybe tweak it so it's the most reliable weapon when it comes to damage variation and keep it on the high end?
Shotgun Replacement
Flak Cannons are awesome. This gun is a flak cannon, therefore it is awesome. As an aside, both shotgun replacements being interesting playstyle choices is a big win.
Super Shotgun Replacement
A super grenade launcher is wonderful. I kinda wish they’d bounce if they don’t hit a bad guy, but that’s maybe the quake vibe found in the sounds and maybe that’d end up being dangerous to the player.
Chaingun Replacement
Is really fucking satisfying. Goddamn. I’m not sure about the damage per shot but it’s a pretty fun gun none the less.
Rocket Launcher Replacement
This is fucking great. I really, really like this. This is exactly what I’d want out of an alternative to the spraying Plasma rifle. And the sound is awesome.
Plasma Rifle Replacement
Feels good if a little too similar to the original Plasma Rifle. Using it made me think there's a chance for the shots to pierce enemies? I’m not sure if they do, but that’d be a suggestion from me if possible, a small (say 30%) chance for the shot to piece all enemies until it hits a wall.
BFG9k Replacement
N/A
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

This is actually pretty neat, and fun to play. :)
HannesH

Post by HannesH »

Its awesome.

Great Weapons,but still can use some fine Tuning (i know that this is wip)
KarolineDianne

Re: =Project Ironclad= (Version 0.1B Update)

Post by KarolineDianne »

Hey guys! Got a quick update for you all! Details in the spoiler below!

Let me know what you think! I'm always happy to get feedback!
Spoiler:
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Perfect Power Armor Simulator! It would be neat if, instead of just dying, once health reaches zero the armor shattered and fell off of you, leaving you still alive but unprotected and extremely vulnerable, like some sort of last stand.
Also, I don't know if it's been changed, but it's kind of strange that the arms are still unarmored. Then again, this is just a 0.1 so there's still plenty to do I guess, right?

Can't wait for the BFG!
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

All the sprites for the weapons are placeholders for now. I hope to get proper armored hands in the future, but that's for later on.

I considered doing a last-stand sort of deal, but I don't know if that would really be worth all the complicated ACS stuff required to pull that sort of thing off. It'd be a hell of a lot of work for something that probably won't add too much, you know? After all, you're not D.Va in a mecha, you're more like a Space Marine of Brotherhood of Steel Paladin. There's not really an 'emergency eject seat', as it were. :P

And I've got big plans for the BFG, just you wait. It'll take a lot of work to get it right, but it'll be great. Trust me! >:D

-Edit-

Also! Here's a bit of a teaser for some new features I'm adding!

Things should be getting a bit more interesting in the next update. :3
KarolineDianne

=Project Ironclad= (Version 0.2 Update)

Post by KarolineDianne »

Version 0.2 is out! Have fun with the new alternate fire modes, health system, and gore! :D

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Lt.blam

Re: =Project Ironclad= (Version 0.2 Update)

Post by Lt.blam »

It's pretty damn fun for version 0.1, and I really dig the idea of putting the player into power armored boots and smashing faces. Can't wait to see what comes next!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You posted a .bak file to Dropbox. Is that the file you really meant to post or is it an old file?
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

I hope this one day includes the sound clip of Torbjorn saying "Ironclad!"
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

Eruanna wrote:You posted a .bak file to Dropbox. Is that the file you really meant to post or is it an old file?
Oops, thanks for catching that. I just fixed it! Luckily the .bak file was only about 20 minutes older than the new one, so it was likely only missing a handful of last minute tweaks. It should be fine now!
Turret49

Post by Turret49 »

Is it possible to slow down/quieten the player's footsteps when they're walking or moving slowly? The constant clanking even when doing the most minor of movements gets on the nerves.

EDIT: That's not to say it's not a fun mod! The rate you're adding things to it is amazing too. You're putting a lot of effort into this.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

My, why i haven't check this mod yet? It's really powerful and neat mod i ever seen! Also played it a little and i've got some gripes;
Spoiler: Clicky the gripes
And there you go! And you know, i wanted to talk about more but people already pointed them out. So i have nothing except these.

So you've done a great job and can't wait for the update!
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

Progress is being made, guys! I've taken a lot of what's been said to heart and I've been trying to fix bugs and improve general gameplay. New enemies, rebalancing weapons, and adding new features has been pretty constant. It's important to remember though that all the weapon sprites are placeholders until I can figure out how to make custom assets that are actually worth using. Same goes for basically all item pickups and the UI/HUD.

In the meantime, here's a little teaser for some of the weapon stuff I've been working on!

Version 0.3 should be out soon!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”