Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.0.0] 11/3/21

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.0.0] 11/3/21

Postby DemonicArchivist119 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:22 am

Bruiser mode is fun, though I at least have to turn off a lot of the visual bits that can be turned off to avoid lagging out from all the fire. Also glad that the Bruiser Sphere is fully re-implemented, and does fill the bar to enable bruiser right off the bat, since you didn't mention that in the changelog. Even if that can take some challenge out on certain mapsets with megasphere spawns early on. Lack of guns is a little annoying early on, but the power of the spells and melee more than makes up for that. Definitely brings this mod from top 10 to top 3 for me, because its one of the few mods that lets you feel overpowered, without going so far that your feel completely untouchable. Definitely needs a good monster mod to go along with it, but so far I've found that both Colorful Hell, with drops turned down, and RL Monsters give a good amount of challenge, at least until you get to the higher tier spells and have a good mana pool to spam with. Glad to see you stuck it out Brohnesorge, I've been playing this mod almost since it first came out, if I remember right, the first time I played was right after the first time the initial incarnation of Bruiser was added, and you could choose to play as a Bruiser from the starting menu, and am happy to say you've managed to maintain a fun experience all throughout, and I look forward to any other projects you work on in the future.

This is, in my opinion, the best mod that makes you feel like you're playing as one of the Lords of Hell. You have done a great job at not only catching the essence of what playing as a high level demon should be, but making it interesting enough to keep coming back to. And from whats I've played of this one's sibling project, I can see you're on route to make Revenant just as good.

Also as an aside: What enemy mods does everyone think goes good with Baron? Either thematically or from an increased difficulty standpoint.

Thank you for the years of fun.

TL/DR: Good mod is Good. Thanks for making it.
DemonicArchivist119

Postby ExpendableRound » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:45 pm

The sprites for the hammer are... kind of wimpy, if I'm being honest. I was expecting something larger and more lavishly designed, if you understand. Arer the current ones placeholders?

Don't let that distract you from the fact that you have made an excellent gameplay mod, though.
ExpendableRound

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Brohnesorge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:12 pm

Yeah they're placeholders, but who knows when I'll get around to replacing them.
Brohnesorge
The artist also known as Bront

Discord: #7624
Twitch ID: brohnesorge1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Soul Gems Not Working

Postby Caleb K » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:18 am

I'm playing on the map pack Valiant, and the HUD says I have 8 soul gems, but my level is still 0. Am I missing something?
Caleb K

Operating System: Windows 11

Postby Brohnesorge » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:39 pm

The soul gem counter is more a counter of how many mana expansions you have. You need to find an actual Soul Gem to get a level.
Brohnesorge

Postby Caleb K » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm

Brohnesorge wrote:You need to find an actual Soul Gem to get a level.

How do I find them?
Caleb K

Postby Brohnesorge » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:28 pm

They have a chance to spawn over backpacks, you you collect 5 fragments that spawn in place of spells you already have.
Brohnesorge

Postby Caleb K » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm

Brohnesorge wrote:They have a chance to spawn over backpacks, you you collect 5 fragments that spawn in place of spells you already have.

Thanks. Love the mod, definitely one of the best gameplay mods I've played, especially when combined with the brutal doom monsters for that extra challenge and satisfaction.
Caleb K

Postby HunterOfDarkness » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:59 pm

Seems that whenever I redownload HoD Baron, new fun stuff has been added. I only just discovered the Bruiser transformation and am having an absolute blast on Ultimate Doom- Maps of Chaos Overkill with it.
Also trying out Beautiful Doom and Droplets, though I might switch to Brutal Doom for the better gore and gibbing options...I'm an Ancient Baron after all, I must put all the Spiders minions in their place (torn into pieces, before my might!). Playing the Archon of Hell difficulty is nice and challenging, even if the demons are very trigger happy (upto 4 or 5 Caco shots consecutively...or Imp Fireball or Baron of Hell fire/plasma balls etc etc). What is the difficulties in comparison with? I tried Archon difficulty without MoC or anything, but the enemy spawns seem less than that of Ultra-Violence...?

Is there much more to be done/added/changed with Baron? Or is it more focus on Revenant?

I also read about plans for Arachnatron and Archvile versions...? I must admit, I'd be very interested in being an Archvile.
HunterOfDarkness

Postby Brohnesorge » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:29 pm

Archon is UV with extra damage and aggression modifiers.

As for what is to be done with Baron, mostly just getting rid of placeholder stuff and improving the look of the mod. Gameplay wise, its pretty much "done", so yeah the focus is elsewhere for now.

Yes, there will be a HOD Archnotron and a HOD Archvile. I can't say too much about Archvile, but Arachnotron is floating around on my GitLab
Brohnesorge

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods