Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shotfan

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 4.1] 4/29/17 Video Poll

Post by shotfan »

Actually, your remark made me recall that there was a special item planned that would allow you to force Barons and Knights to fight for you... any news on that one?
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

I was actually just thinking about that the other day at work.

I haven't quite found a way to make that possible without altering enemies, which is something I don't want to do. If I can't figure it out, it'll be an item that summons an ally Hell Knight instead.

Edit: Oh I just woke up and didn't see this thread was a little more active then expected. Time to answer some more questions.
I hadn't really considered a speed boost for the Bruiser Sphere, but it shall be done. A longer ranged melee was something else I hadn't thought off. I'll experiment around with it, but I think I like the idea. Like as you melee your claws are so hot they exude heat and hit from a small distance. And while not listed, the Brusier Baron was indeed going to get damage reduction and potentially see the return of health regen. Maybe. Again, something that I'll experiment with.

Bruiser Sphere will be a permanent transformation. The Sphere will be a very rare spawn, but if you can find one, it'll be 1000000000% worth.

Now the Hell Noble thing. Simply put, other Barons and Hell Knights are aligned with the Spiderdemons, and The Baron doesn't like that one bit. And they know he's coming and want to stop him from disrupting the current structure of Hell because of said alignment. While he does want to free Hell from the Spiders, it's only so he himself can take over, and return it to what he remembers Hell to be from like 800 years ago.

See also: Infighting.

May The 4th Edit:

OwO what's this?
*NOTE: Only for testing purposes. Will not be selectable when released.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Wow, wow! WOW!! Yes, the best thing you could do to an already high quality gameplay mod is to make it even better! Option to play with regular or the bruiser baron? FUCK YEAH :twisted: :twisted:
Spoiler:
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Brohnesorge wrote: *image*
*NOTE: Only for testing purposes. Will not be selectable when released.
Hate to burst your bubble. Though, in a post beta version, I might let the player select the Bruiser right away, but I would want to have the selectable Bruiser to have his own special spell and weapon behaviors. I was also going to put in a Hell Knight class that's a weaker version of The Baron, but again, this won't be until much later. The Archon idea isn't a bad one either.

It was mostly just showing that, yes, Bruiser Sphere progress is getting made. There is an incredible amount of work to be done to make the Bruiser Sphere.

Let me walk you through the process so hopefully we all understand why things turn out differently then expected and why sometimes things need to be dropped. I don't mean to come across as bitching, I just kinda want to talk about the process.

The first step, and the easiest, is defining the Bruiser Baron class that you morph into when picking up the sphere. Next will be adding the Bruiser Mode flag to the mod, and then defining the Bruiser Mode for all the spells, which can take several hours. At the same time, sprites need to be edited for the projectiles and VFX, changing them to relevant colors and programming effect spawners and the like. Next is editing the hand sprites to be orange with yellow aura for flames. This is another several hours of work, and i have to do it with both spells and claw attacks. Testing happens along the way, and this is all just for the Bruiser Sphere. I have other things planned as well, and need to do it all again with the Boost Mode for the Bruiser Mode. Then I test it all again after, and tweak around with it before moving on to the next thing.

Hence why I asked everyone to please be patient and give me (possibly) over a month for the next release. Not only will all the planned updates (Belial rework, Bruiser Sphere, Spell Strikes) take a good chunk of time to complete, but the mod itself is competing for my time against life obligations, other games*, and my job. Luckily for me, Lt.Blam has stepped up to help develop the mod, and is helping me with a lot of misc stuff, like sounds and whatnot, so I don't have to worry about that at all which takes a lot of stressing over workload off. Can't thank him enough for that.

Honestly, the times would be a lot less if my motivation could hold. But work just really drains me mentally and physically, and I really only have 1 day a week that I can (if I so choose) devout fully to working on the mod, outside of taking potshots at in the hour or so before bed after I get home from work, which is how 85% of the mod gets done. And sprite editing in Paint.net SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKs. Or at least I think it does. It's nothing to do with Paint.net itself, I just find it very tedious and boring, and there's a chance that you get it all done, put it in game, and it looks like shit, so you have to start over again. This has happened a few times.

*These games being Pathfinder and Old School Runescape. Judge me all you want, I don't care; I got a DWH drop so HA.

PS making the video won't distract me that much, because rendering and uploading a video takes several hours, so I can just work on our big pink and orange friend during that. Also, see as how it's looking like Hell of Earth is going to win, I've played through that a couple of times, it shouldn't take me too long to beat it again, either. I plan on starting recording next week, Wednesday-ish. I hope to get the Bruiser Sphere at least somewhat functional by then, so I can use it in the videos.
Last edited by Brohnesorge on Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

No problem about taking your time! You already update this mod much more often than most authors! Specially when making the bruiser baron, that I bet is making many things again.
Anyway, in your nex release , dont forget to take look at the missle launcher sprites. In higher resolutions it becomes cropped from the right side.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Dalse wrote:Anyway, in your nex release , dont forget to take look at the missle launcher sprites. In higher resolutions it becomes cropped from the right side.
Dammit, I must have lost a version somewhere, cause this was, like the Vulcan enchant thing, something I thought I fixed. I'll get right on it.

Also, finally updated the OP to actually be accurate and expand the story a bit. Nothing major, but there we go.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Just take your time man, we ain't goin' anywhere xD :lol:

Jokes aside, don't press yourself too much, patience is the key, and I have that plenty :wink:
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Alright, I'm on break at work but when I get home I'm going to start recording. According to the poll, Hell on Earth and Colorful Hell are the winners. Im also going to be using Droplets because its good stuff, okay! I'll fast forward through any parts of me being lost/wall humping.

I'll be playing with my dev build as the Bruiser, so expect to see some stuff that isn't available yet! I expect this to be like 3 parts, an hour long each, as I am pretty familiar with Hell on Earth and The Bruiser is strong af. I'll probably do another one later as just The Baron on Alien Vendetta with DoomKraken monsters.

Look forward to it!
SHayden

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 4.1] 4/29/17

Post by SHayden »

Great, can't wait to see it :)
Brohnesorge

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 4.1] 4/29/17

Post by Brohnesorge »

Boom. Episode 2 coming sooner rather then later.
Dalse

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 4.1] 4/29/17 NEW VIDEO

Post by Dalse »

I am liking the new feature and your way of showing gameplay and video editting! The shotgun is funner to use and the maximum melee is now usable in slaughtermaps!
I just hope you change the landing sound though , it was annoying.

And I feel for you for finding this weird bug. Coding is hard.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

The landing sound thing is a weird bug that is present in GZDoom 3.0.1 64-bit. I don't really know how to address it other then to use a different version.

See, I have two computers: my main gaming desktop, which is what I'm using to record the videos, and my really shitty laptop, which I use to develop and test the mod. For some reason, git builds of GZDoom behave strangely on my desktop. 3.0.1 gets the sounds mixed up, and 2.5pre HUD scaling won't work. Luckily, I do have a release version of 2.4 which works, so I can go ahead as scheduled.

As for the spell bug, it's a new one on me, but I noticed watching back that my Mana was constantly being drained on some levels. I've had this happen in Community Chest 2, as well, so I think it has something to do with some factor of the map. ACS or DeHacked perhaps? Because I was able to play though the entirety of vanilla Doom and Doom 2 without it happening again. I wouldn't even know where to start looking to fix it.

Anyway, I'm starting to record Episode 2, so expect that either within a few hours or tonight sometime.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Brohnesorge wrote:The landing sound thing is a weird bug that is present in GZDoom 3.0.1 64-bit. I don't really know how to address it other then to use a different version.
If the issue is still present in the latest development build, then I suggest submitting a bug report. Going back to old versions of the engine isn't a solution in the long run.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

The issue is gone in the latest dev build, so it looks like they took care of it, whatever it was.

edit: I should also note that it was only present on my desktop. The bug didn't show up on my laptop, so I'm assuming it's probably a problem on my end.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

I like the new Azazel and Belial SFX.

I hope that M202 will get a new 3rd person sprite, since it now clashes. Personally I prefer the current 1st person sprites, but I will deal with the replacement anyway.

Seems from your video that the Bruiser is powerful to no end. I have not seen that you even suffered a 5% (100 HP) health drop throughout the whole playthrough of the episode! Maybe a higher difficulty next time? :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”