Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 7.2] 10/9/2017 Claws of S

Post by kadu522 »

Also could you check the download link? i tried it 5 times and its not downloading at all.
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Did you try both of them? It seems to be working fine on my end on my phone, not signed in.

I'm at work right now but I'll double check them when I get home in 2 or 3 hours.

EDIT: Home now, just refreshed all the links, just in case.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Ok got it now. it was just my internet being shit. :?

Now to get touhou doom :)
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

I am back playing this mod and, man , the new effects are awesome and the baron is kicking even more asses!

There is one thing though : is that I dont understand what exactly the baron ball spell strike does. I know that if you channel it the strikes gets faster or something? It needs a feedback about what it does.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Basically, it makes it where you have berserk, err, double damage, and attack a little faster but each successful hit drains mana. It's next to useless if you have a berserk active. I can add an onscreen message this coming update to make it a bit clearer.
Goregrinder

Post by Goregrinder »

I really like this mod, but i find that the higher step height means that when I'm using the melee claws I end up stepping on top of shorter enemies which makes it a lot harder to use the claws effectively.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

I just fixed that today on my end, so when the new update comes out (tomorrow sometime) that'll be fixed
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

DOuble posting (technically triple because this is the same post as Soldier Z but whatevs) but Hearts of Demons - BARON is now open source on GitLab! So you can see the code online and see it being developed regularly. I'll still post when major updates are done, so you know.

Find it HERE!

Speaking of, that above is a NEW VERSION!
Spoiler: The changelog
There is a wall hit sound for the base claw but it is very much a place holder. And the new ground slam stuff is still incomplete (lacks Bruiser and Rune scaling) but its very usable still.

Also finally removed that Azazel poll. I'm completely remaking the Azazel from the ground up so look forward to that soon-ish.
Goregrinder

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 7.3] 24/9/17 Now On Git!

Post by Goregrinder »

Awesome! how do you turn the git folder thing into a .pk3?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Whoops I'm still new to git and fucked something up. I'm uploading an actually working PK3. Internet's garbo so it'll be a bit but I'll edit this post and the links in the OP when it's ready. Check back in like 30 minutes. Very sorry for this inconvenience!

EDIT: Here's a PK3 : It works now.
Goregrinder

Post by Goregrinder »

Thanks for the pk3 version, but for some reason it's giving me this error message:

Could not find script lump 'Decorate/Effects/WeaponLights'
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

3rd times the charm, I changed the name of something without fully considering or testing the implications.

This one should 100% work this time. I think.

Man, what a update, usually don't have this kind of issue but hopefully this is it.
Goregrinder

Post by Goregrinder »

Hell yeah, it works now. the new fireballs look and feel great, and the claws work great too.
Atik

Post by Atik »

Call me crazy, but I'm both excited and afraid to see the Azazel rework. My roommate had watched me play with through quite a few map packs as the Baron, and commented on how rarely I switch from the Azazel.

Don't get me wrong, the Belial and the Missile Launcher are fun too, but I really feel like I would still use this mod if the only weapons were claws, spells, and the Azazel. But, for that very reason, I can see why it should be changed up a bit. Specifically, I hardly ever use the Vulkan, since it uses the Azazel ammo.

Also, new update it awesome. I'm loving the new ground pound and not stepping over enemies anymore. Makes melee combat much more enjoyable.
Goregrinder

Post by Goregrinder »

the azazel does feel a little too versatile in how it can load everything and how ammo efficient it is compared to other guns, but I use the claws and spells a lot cause I like being a big ol baron of hell.

I really like the ground pound and the special rock throw move, that's great fun.

edit: i've played a decent amount with it now (using brutal doom monsters on archon difficulty) and the main thing i'm finding is its really hard to keep your health at a decent level. the souls either heal too little or don't drop often enough. on both baron and archon difficulty I wind up hovering around 200 health at any given time and I drop down really low quite often. it's good that its challenging on those settings but I end up having to play very cautiously rather than being aggressive.

the weapons are all really cool, I like how the base baron powers feel now, before they felt a little weak compared to the other barons in the game. The azazel is really good, but maybe too versatile. right now it fits a good niche of kind of a mini-rocket launcher with the utility of the doom pump shotgun. the gatling mode is fun but I find I don't use it much because the ammo efficiency is much poorer than the standard fire mode.

the flak loading of the azazel feels more useful than the alt fire of the dedicated flak cannon, and as far as I can tell the rocket loading is about the same as the flash's alt-fire. I think its a really cool, varied weapon, but some of that variety might feel better split out to the other weapons so the azazel is less complex and the other guns get a little more utility. I almost never use the flak cannon alt-fire, but the azazel shooting flak cannisters would be a great in its place.

the flash is great in both fire modes, the napalm area and duration might be a little high for my tastes, but that's just me. its nice that someone finally made a flash rocket launcher in a game that is incendiary like the real thing, so that's really cool.

the vulcan cannon is also way more like the real life version than any i've seen in a game before, which is super cool. it's super lethal and goes through ammo super fast, so it almost feels like a bfg type weapon in its economy which is unique for a machinegun weapon. I like it a ton, but I think I still use the azazel over it a lot of the time because the azazel is way more ammo efficient.

the spells are all really cool although I havent gotten to experiment with all their variants yet. the amount of variation in the mod is amazing and a little overwhelming. it feels like it could be a complete mod with just the spells and the azazel, given how many permutations that stuff has.

I don't want to sound like super critical or anything, these are just my thoughts at the moment. I think its a fantastic concept for a mod and has a ton of great work in it and it's really fun to play.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”