Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 1] & Weapon Poll

Post by kadu522 »

Brohnesorge wrote:Dalse beat me to it. I'm pretty satisfied with The Baron's durability right now, so I'm not going to do anything with it; I might take the damage reduction away, but that wouldn't be until much later and after lots of personal testing.
Ok,i get your point,especialy on mods that give you lots of power-ups like Legendon lite,you can get to +5000HP no problem.
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Just a FYI of sorts: It'll be longer than expected before the next update. While working on the miss sound for the melee, I somehow completely BROKE the melee (There is a straight up fukin' "Miss Sound" parameter; YOU WOULDN'T THINK IT'D BE THIS HARD) and it doesn't work at all anymore AND I'm having a much MUCH harder time getting the backhand to work. Hell, I'm even over in the How Do I thread asking for help. I was hoping to get it out before I go to bed here in like 10 minutes, but it's just not going to happen. I'll be throwing myself at it over the weekend to try and get it out before Monday, but I can't make any promises.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Finally got everything working. It was one of those things were it was so simple that I don't want to talk about it. Also ISP stupidness again :roll: .

The next update is here
Spoiler: Changelog
This is the first round of updates to the Melee, so things are going to be a little rough. Especially the backhand. The coming weeks are going to be focused on getting it more fine turned in terms of mechanics and graphics. Just keep in mind that it's not 100% done yet and I am working on it vigilantly.

Also, what exactly do people find wrong with the Baron Ball? I felt pretty good with it, so I'm kinda surprised to see it with so many results in the poll and am curious to hear your concerns.
shotfan

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 1.1] & Weapon Poll 3/9/17

Post by shotfan »

New bug report:
- When Mana Boost Rune is active, enchanted weapon modes still drain Mana
- The same applies to casting spells with offhand while wielding Azazel
- You can launch the following spells even with insufficient (non-zero) Mana: Baron Ball altifre and Immolation altfire
- Boosted Immolation altfire does not produce any sound
- Devastation has no altfire or Boosted versions
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

shotfan wrote:New bug report:
- When Mana Boost Rune is active, enchanted weapon modes still drain Mana
This is intentional. For how outdated it is, the OP does say this and is right about it.
- The same applies to casting spells with offhand while wielding Azazel
This one's not. Will be fixed next update.
- You can launch the following spells even with insufficient (non-zero) Mana: Baron Ball altifre and Immolation altfire
All the spells can be. They shoot as much as they can, like if you have 3 mana, the BB alt will only launch 3 balls. They don't actually go off, though, most of the time. I'm looking into ways to make it where you just don't fire with insufficient Mana.
- Boosted Immolation altfire does not produce any sound
Bit of an oversight on my part. Will be fixed.
- Devastation has no altfire or Boosted versions
The lack of altfire is intentional. The Boosted is not. Rather, it can't be boosted on its own. You have to have the boost active then switch to it. It also hasn't had it's sprites updated and boosted costs 150, so you need a Soul Gem before you can use it. Either way, I'll get it fully functional again soon.
I'll see about getting a mini update out tomorrow, just a little something to fix some of the above bugs and make it seem like I haven't abandoned this project. Don't worry, I haven't. Real life has just been busy lately...
Spoiler:
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

And here is said promised mini update. Mostly focuses on fixing some issue that shotfan pointed out. Thanks as always, by the way.
Spoiler: Changelog
There MAY be something that I forgot to write down. This should be a pretty quiet week for me so I may actually be able to hammer out some mod work this week. As always, stay tuned, and I'm always eager to hear from you.

Also, I'm in some talks about some new weapon sprites, so look forward to that in the near/mid future.
kadu522

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 1.12] & Weapon Poll 3/18/

Post by kadu522 »

Good! i need to update mine so i go back to you if i notice anything.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I gotta say I like this mod very much. I have a suggestion for the mod that shouldn't be too hard considering everything you made so far. It would be super cool if you'd create either a random chance of getting kill animation(like when baron rips an imp with bare hands in brutal doom) OR a glory kill like in doom 4. Bottom line, seeing yourself from third person glory killing random enemies like with your bare hands etc. Just a suggestion that would be cool. Also Melee needs to be worked on, baron is most known for it's six-pack and muscles xD am i right? :D
Cheers, keep up the good work.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

kadu522 wrote:Good! i need to update mine so i go back to you if i notice anything.
Playing your mod on epic2 and i noticed no isues besides the fact that the melle sounds quite low.
But thats probably becouse i have the sound sliders at around 0.10 so...
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

I'm always glad to hear people enjoying the mod.

Now on to crushing dreams: as much as I love Doom 4, there is simply no way to implement its Glory Kill system, or any kind of fatality system, without altering monsters, which is something I don't want to do in order to keep this mod compadable with monster mods. At most, in the future I can make a patch to add such things when playing with BDMonsters.

Now as for melee I'm kinda stumped for a way to make it more fun. I do have an idea to bounce off you, valued players. What if I add a tier 2 melee rune that is either rare or appears after getting a normal one that further boosts melee by making The Baron faster, stronger and more durable, but only while using melee. To balance this, I would take away his passive armor and make his base melee damage and speed that of a normal baron.

What do we think about this?
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Brohnesorge wrote: Now as for melee I'm kinda stumped for a way to make it more fun. I do have an idea to bounce off you, valued players. What if I add a tier 2 melee rune that is either rare or appears after getting a normal one that further boosts melee by making The Baron faster, stronger and more durable, but only while using melee. To balance this, I would take away his passive armor and make his base melee damage and speed that of a normal baron.

What do we think about this?
Personally, I have no big issues with any weapon by now, so I did not even vote in the most recent poll. But you are saying that you propose to add an even more powerful Berserk(-esque) rune? Sounds like something that should be on time limit, otherwise it could turn into another overpowered item (as Mana Boost Rune was before it was time limited as well). Other than that - it sounds great! I am always in for more melee carnage (and The Baron is already well-suited to clawing his way through hordes of weaker enemies, converting Zombies and Imps into a soup with a single swipe). Would the Soul Siphon and Groundslam be enhanced further with that new rune as well?
(BTW: Groundslam can now be activated even when suspended high in the air. Kind of funny... :) )
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

shotfan wrote: Personally, I have no big issues with any weapon by now, so I did not even vote in the most recent poll. But you are saying that you propose to add an even more powerful Berserk(-esque) rune? Sounds like something that should be on time limit, otherwise it could turn into another overpowered item (as Mana Boost Rune was before it was time limited as well). Other than that - it sounds great! I am always in for more melee carnage (and The Baron is already well-suited to clawing his way through hordes of weaker enemies, converting Zombies and Imps into a soup with a single swipe). Would the Soul Siphon and Groundslam be enhanced further with that new rune as well?
That's exactly what I'm saying. Now that I'm at my computer and not on my phone I can elaborate more.
It would go like this:
No rune: Exact same as a normal Baron of Hell in terms of power and attack speed. The Baron has just woken up, so he's not quite as his former splendor. Berserk doubles his damage at this stage. Has the backhand, and a weak version of the backhand. No armor.
Enhancement Rune: Raises his damage to his current base, and raises his attack speed to current as well. Permanent. Berserk not only doubles damage, but also increases attack speed. Gains the Groundslam. Has 30% armor when Claws are selected.
The New Rune: Raises damage to (exact amount TBD) and further raises attack speed. Permanent. Berserk becomes timed, but while Berserked, you do tremendous damage, move at a greater speed, have greater armor and the Groundpound, Backhand and Soul Siphon all get boosted. Gains Soul Siphon and Groundslam is improved. Has 50% armor when Claws are selected.

I could also make it where The New Rune (working title, not final, will probably call Carnage Rune) is togglable (still gives you Soul Siphon), and while active it burns away your Mana, like a Boost Rune or Enchantment Rune for melee.

I'm ALSO thinking about making it where Soul Gems improve your Baron Ball. Like you start with the normal Baron Baron Ball, then you upgrade with a Soul Gem to the the current Baron Ball, so on. It would look something like this:
No Soul Gems: Basic Bitch Baron Ball. Again, a lot of The Baron's power has been from his long sleep.
1 Soul Gem: Baron Ball becomes free.
2 Soul Gems: Becomes the current Baron Ball.
3 Soul Gems: Rate of fire improves.
4 Soul Gems: Gains a mild homing.

But this is still merely me spit balling ideas. I'm much more concerned with melee for now.
(BTW: Groundslam can now be activated even when suspended high in the air. Kind of funny... :) )
Enjoy this while you can. I plan on fixing this sooner rather then later.
Spoiler:
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Also, wow, 100 replies. I didn't think I'd ever get this far with this mod. I was expecting it to just kinda get overlooked and ignored. :shock:
Are you serious? Have you actually seen other mods that try to make you play with demons. Nothing -just nothing- I mean I admit even I tried to make something like that but with other demons(mostly from realm667) and admit I am not good with that and I don't have time for that.

Honestly this is the best mod I've ever played that lets you play with the demon. It's so...what's the word I'm looking for...detailed.
Spoiler:
Keep up the good work :D
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Thank you a lot. Hearing (well, reading) things like that really keep me going on this mod.
SHayden wrote: Frankly I would really like to see you continue with hearts of demon mods and create same mod but with idk revenant, hellknight... :wub: but that's easier said than done.
Funny you say that, I AM outlining a Hearts of Demons: Revenant, as I think they have the most potential to be interesting to play, but it's still only on paper in the planning phase. I plan on getting Baron 90% done before starting work on it so I don't overload myself.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Indeed, I recall no full Doom mod that has a Hellspawn protagonist. A long time ago, I remember watching a video of some mod that allowed you to become any of the Doom 2 monsters... well, technically nothing wrong with that, but that is not something I would want to pick up for a full playthrough. Two attacks per monster is just dull. Now THIS is a proper "become-a-demon" mod, even if still at beta phase!

As for the Carnage Rune:
Brohnesorge wrote: It would go like this:
No rune: Exact same as a normal Baron of Hell in terms of power and attack speed. The Baron has just woken up, so he's not quite as his former splendor. Berserk doubles his damage at this stage. Has the backhand, and a weak version of the backhand. No armor.
Enhancement Rune: Raises his damage to his current base, and raises his attack speed to current as well. Permanent. Berserk not only doubles damage, but also increases attack speed. Gains the Groundslam. Has 30% armor when Claws are selected.
The New Rune: Raises damage to (exact amount TBD) and further raises attack speed. Permanent. Berserk becomes timed, but while Berserked, you do tremendous damage, move at a greater speed, have greater armor and the Groundpound, Backhand and Soul Siphon all get boosted. Gains Soul Siphon and Groundslam is improved. Has 50% armor when Claws are selected.

I could also make it where The New Rune (working title, not final, will probably call Carnage Rune) is togglable (still gives you Soul Siphon), and while active it burns away your Mana, like a Boost Rune or Enchantment Rune for melee.
I guess then that Carnage Rune would give you Soul Siphon permanently, but all of the other effects would be limited. As for how: that depends if you want to make melee a fully-fledged alternative to spells and guns, or more of a occasional/niche way to deal with the enemies. If the former, then that could be a toggeable, Mana-draining Rune. If the latter, then it would be time-limited, but its effect could be made more powerful (relative to the other option) to compensate.
I'm ALSO thinking about making it where Soul Gems improve your Baron Ball. Like you start with the normal Baron Baron Ball, then you upgrade with a Soul Gem to the the current Baron Ball, so on. It would look something like this:
No Soul Gems: Basic Bitch Baron Ball. Again, a lot of The Baron's power has been from his long sleep.
1 Soul Gem: Baron Ball becomes free.
2 Soul Gems: Becomes the current Baron Ball.
3 Soul Gems: Rate of fire improves.
4 Soul Gems: Gains a mild homing.

But this is still merely me spit balling ideas. I'm much more concerned with melee for now.
Sounds interesting, but I doubt I would make much use of such upgraded Baron Ball. It is weak compared to other spells, and you are hardly in Mana drought like, ever. Mana supply should be made (much) more limited to make Baron Ball worth regular use (I hardly use it at all, indeed).

PS: Vote cast for Baron Ball.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”