Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [0.9.2] 5/17/19 Throw Poll

Post by Brohnesorge »

Optional. It is one of many new toggles and options that will be available.
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Really excited to see this is still going! It's great fun.
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Absolutely loving this mod, but I do have a small, hopefully reasonable feature request:

Could we get an option for "Simple" spell switching? Where rather than getting a menu where the mouse buttons choose your spell, pressing Reload simply cycles to the next spell on your right hand, and Zoom cycles to the next spell on the left?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

GLad to hear people are still enjoying the mod, despite my long hiatus from it!

On the subject of a quick switch, the switching code is pretty complex and wasn't written by me (read: it was written by an actual programmer) and I don't fully understand it so its hard for me to make modifications to it. That said, I am also interested in a quick spell seitch, so I'm not gonna shoot doen the suggestion. I'll throw myaelf at it and will see if I cant add an option for it in a future release.

Speaking of releases, 0.9.5 is just about complete, and you can expect it to hit sometime January 2020. Im working on a trailer and doing some testing and ironing out the last few things.
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Neat! I did have one other question: I mostly play on a controller, so it's quite irritating to have primary fire on the spell hands fire the left spell instead of the right. Is there any way we could have a toggle for reversing the left and right hands' buttons for controller users? I know Cola 3 uses this feature.
kuemmel

Post by kuemmel »

This is a real cool mod you have written here! 8-) After playing it some time (Hell on Earth), and sice you ask for it, I'd like to offer some feedback for you.

a) The Diabloesque magic system and how you solved to set up the spells for each hand is great! Consider putting the keys {7,8,9,0} to use for either simply common selections or, most elegant if at all possible in the doom engine, a quick-save quick-load mechanism that might work like this: Hitting, e.g., 7 while in setup mode would save the current spell selection. Hitting it while outside setup mode would load it back. This way players could have Fireball and Immolation on key 7, the summoning spells on key 8, and so on.

b) Sometimes summoning spells fail -- probably due to your algorithm not finding a valid spot for spawning. While this can be practiced by the player and thus can be seen as a feature, I would at least decrease the mana cost for failed attempts.

c) If the ceiling is very low shooting an exlosive weapon explodes it right into your own face. How about auto-crouch in those cases? IMHO that would also improve realism.

d) Perhaps it is just my style of playing, but I find that the rocket launcher is relatively weaker to the other guns. I seldom use it due to the issue mentioned in (c).

e) Being a weapon mod you probably have no interest in this one, perhaps it is not even easily implemented: Still, how about, for the classic doom episodes, replacing the story text screens by your own lore about the war against the spiders?

Keep 'em coming! Your fan, Markus-H.
kuemmel

Post by kuemmel »

P.S.: Two more points!

a) For the Baron Vision you already started on a Baron-Submenu in the "Customize Controls" section. Why not also mirror the zoom, weapon state, reload, and all other keys from the standard menus that you have given a new meaning? That would instantly provide minimal documentation and greatly simplify learning to setup and play your mod.

b) Cosmetic: From the Icarus-Doom-Mod-Video that told me of your mod I see that you had the original Baron of Hell in your Diablo-HUD adorning the blue and red orbs in an earlier version. Now you replaced this demon with someone else. Why not keep the old baron at the red orb? The old bruiser screams "vitality" whereas the newer, more intellectual looking demon could keep his place at the blue orb.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod! Funny you mention it, a lot of these suggestions are actually in the coming update (some time between Jan 10-20 whenever I stop being lazy and do final touch ups)
But to be more specific...
kuemmel wrote:This is a real cool mod you have written here! 8-) After playing it some time (Hell on Earth), and sice you ask for it, I'd like to offer some feedback for you.

a) The Diabloesque magic system and how you solved to set up the spells for each hand is great! Consider putting the keys {7,8,9,0} to use for either simply common selections or, most elegant if at all possible in the doom engine, a quick-save quick-load mechanism that might work like this: Hitting, e.g., 7 while in setup mode would save the current spell selection. Hitting it while outside setup mode would load it back. This way players could have Fireball and Immolation on key 7, the summoning spells on key 8, and so on.

This one is a bit of a doozy cause some form of quicker spell selection has been an oft requested feature. I certainly like the idea of "saving" combinations. I might explore this more at a later update.

b) Sometimes summoning spells fail -- probably due to your algorithm not finding a valid spot for spawning. While this can be practiced by the player and thus can be seen as a feature, I would at least decrease the mana cost for failed attempts.

Maybe could refund some Mana on failure. It fails for that reason, not enough space for the thing to spawn. It is intentionally harsh for a reason; The Baron isn't the best at this type of magic, despite being one of the only Barons capable of casting it. And to balance out how powerful any kind of companion is.

c) If the ceiling is very low shooting an exlosive weapon explodes it right into your own face. How about auto-crouch in those cases? IMHO that would also improve realism.

I put this one on the player to remember to enable crouching and to crouch themselves. You can set Allow Crouch to YES in the Gameplay Options section of GZDoom's menu; this overrides any map restrictions on crouching and is something I consider essential to do.

d) Perhaps it is just my style of playing, but I find that the rocket launcher is relatively weaker to the other guns. I seldom use it due to the issue mentioned in (c).

I noticed this too, actually! The Moloch (rocket launcher) has been significantly buffed in the coming update.

e) Being a weapon mod you probably have no interest in this one, perhaps it is not even easily implemented: Still, how about, for the classic doom episodes, replacing the story text screens by your own lore about the war against the spiders?

Not only is this possible and easy to do, but the Doom 1 text is already replaced! I just need to stop being lazy and do it for Doom 2 (and Heretic!)

Keep 'em coming! Your fan, Markus-H.
kuemmel wrote:P.S.: Two more points!

a) For the Baron Vision you already started on a Baron-Submenu in the "Customize Controls" section. Why not also mirror the zoom, weapon state, reload, and all other keys from the standard menus that you have given a new meaning? That would instantly provide minimal documentation and greatly simplify learning to setup and play your mod.

This is actually a great idea! When I get off my ass, I'll throw this in quick.

b) Cosmetic: From the Icarus-Doom-Mod-Video that told me of your mod I see that you had the original Baron of Hell in your Diablo-HUD adorning the blue and red orbs in an earlier version. Now you replaced this demon with someone else. Why not keep the old baron at the red orb? The old bruiser screams "vitality" whereas the newer, more intellectual looking demon could keep his place at the blue orb.

Heh, the coming update will actually have an option to choose what style of Baron you want on your HUD.
kuemmel

Post by kuemmel »

Thanks for your nice reply, especially now that I realize the sheer length this thread had already reached. Looking forward to your new version!
Cheers, Markus.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

GOOD GOD YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS!

It's finally update time!
Spoiler: A changelog way too long in the making
So I won't lie. This has been sitting here awhile, and some of the recent suggestions didn't make it in cause I'm lazy and have been focused on Soldier Z. Whoops. They'll make it into 0.9.6, or maybe even 0.9.5.x if the need arises.

Anyway, there is A LOT here. A lot of tweaks, a lot of new stuff, a lot of updated stuff. So for a quick overview...
[*] More gameplay options! Control what guns spawn!
[*] New gun: GAU-19/A chaingun as an alt to the M2!
[*] Baron Level now effects spells in addition to decreasing casting cost!
[*] Spells have extra effects at Level MAX!
[*] Soul Gem Fragments and Ammo Packs added! Collect 4 SGFs to assemble a Soul Gem! Ammo Packs increase ammo by 10%! Infinitely!
[*] Updated, more combo focused melee!

Anyway, get at it, have fun, let me know if anything breaks and keep me posted!

as I very slowly get around to updating the OP, oh no
AvzinElkein

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [0.9.5] 1/22/20 Throw Poll

Post by AvzinElkein »

I assume there's no way to get the Flak Cannon in Doom 1?
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Seems I'm having some trouble getting this to run on LZDoom, despite the ZScript version being well-within acceptable bounds. The error that popped up said that it "failed to initialize menu".
kuemmel

Need a simple Hit-Scanner Spell for Sigil Eye-Switches!

Post by kuemmel »

Hello Brohnesorge, still from time to time bringing Havoc to Doom as a Baron!

Only in the Sigil episode there is need to cheat from scene 1: Something like "give pistol" in order to get a hit-scanner weapon is needed to trigger the eye switches. Living fine with it. Pressing "2" repeatedly still will gives the spells. Still: As a regular player Sigil is closed from the start which is a shame when wanting to annoy cousin Baphomet! Perhaps you might add a simple "poke" spell that is slow and weak but otherwise happens to work like a pistol and also is available from the start?
kuemmel

Post by kuemmel »

P. S. : Perhaps even simpler, if Doom allows that at all: A secondary invisible non-damage hitscanner effect on the simpler flare spells would allow them to trigger Sigil eye switches.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Oh shit Sigil. Uhhhhhhh yeah I guess I should add some kind of hitscan thing to prevent this. In the meantime, I have beaten Sigil with Baron and you can finagle to hit the eyes until you get a GAU/M2

Return to “Gameplay Mods”