Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AvzinElkein

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 11] 4/23/18 One Punch Bar

Post by AvzinElkein »

Apparently, there isn't a custom message for picking up the Tome of Power!
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

AvzinElkein wrote:Apparently, there isn't a custom message for picking up the Tome of Power!
Good catch. The Chaos Device is missing one too, and the Maultaur is missing a death message. I'll do a quick fix tonight.

EDIT: These are now fixed.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I'm enjoying it so far, but I haven't found any spells yet... (I'm on E1M9 of DOOM 1.) Although the "any-ammo-accepted" autocannon seems quite intriguing! P.S. shouldn't picking up that gun give you 1 or 2 rounds of each kind of ammo?
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

I'll sound dumb for this but....

I have no idea what to download. I downloaded the file on the first page and it has no pk file in it.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

I'm new at this, since I downloaded GZDoom to run the DOOM, Heretic, and Hexen games.

Once I download and unzip, how do I get the mod to work? So far, I'm stuck with Doomguy.

Thank you.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

The instructions are right below the download link. You can load the .zip file like you would any .wad or .pk3
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

GrazewoundZero wrote:I'm new at this, since I downloaded GZDoom to run the DOOM, Heretic, and Hexen games.

Once I download and unzip, how do I get the mod to work? So far, I'm stuck with Doomguy.

Thank you.
First, I recommend getting yourself a mod frontend like ZDoom Launcher or ZDoom Executor. Setting up these programs is pretty self explanatory, but once you do, you do not extract the ZIP, just load up the ZIP with GZDoom.

Edit: Also, for those of you out there, check out that OP, Icarus did a video on the mod. Needless to say, we on the Baron team are really excited by this development.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

Thank you all for your help!

Now, how do I use/cast a spell with both claws? That's the only mechanic I haven't figured out yet.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Right click casts out of your right hand, Left click casts out of your left hand. Zoom switches the spell in your left hand, and Reload switches spells in your right after you've found additional spells.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

Brohnesorge wrote:Right click casts out of your right hand, Left click casts out of your left hand. Zoom switches the spell in your left hand, and Reload switches spells in your right after you've found additional spells.
Thank you for your response.

From it, I was able to mess with my keybinds in order to make it work.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

@Brohnesorge

From your mods description, this mod is for DOOM, DOOM2 Final DOOM & Heretic. I just wanted to let you know that I'm having a blast using it in the Plutonia Experiment, TNT - Evilution, and Hexen.
However, the only pick up are the hearts and flasks. No weapons of any sort (Hexen).

A question about the title, "Hearts of Demons". Is it a general one, or do you plan on other mods with DOOM's bosses?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Yes, I do plan on making more Hearts of Demons. They will be Revenant, Archvile and Archanotron, in no particular order. Archvile and Archanotron are not even in the concept stages, just loose ideas in the team's heads, but there is a super early pre-alpha version of Revenant available here.

However, I want to note that I cannot give a timetable of any kind for these mods. Baron has taken more than a year and a half to get to its current state, and we are still working on it actively. Revenant is next for sure, and Baron will be finished this year. That's the most I can say with any kind of confidence, and it's the most I'm going to say for now in the interest of not getting too offtopic for this thread.

Also, I'm surprised Hexen does much of anything with Baron. It's not targeted or officially supported at all, and no plans are in the works to give it support. So, that's kinda neat.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

Brohnesorge wrote:Yes, I do plan on making more Hearts of Demons. They will be Revenant, Archvile and Archanotron, in no particular order. Archvile and Archanotron are not even in the concept stages, just loose ideas in the team's heads, but there is a super early pre-alpha version of Revenant available here.

However, I want to note that I cannot give a timetable of any kind for these mods. Baron has taken more than a year and a half to get to its current state, and we are still working on it actively. Revenant is next for sure, and Baron will be finished this year. That's the most I can say with any kind of confidence, and it's the most I'm going to say for now in the interest of not getting too offtopic for this thread.

Also, I'm surprised Hexen does much of anything with Baron. It's not targeted or officially supported at all, and no plans are in the works to give it support. So, that's kinda neat.
Great to hear you're doing more boss mods! Can't wait!

Baron kinda works in Hexen & Dark Knights... Now I'm intrigued ...

1. The only drops from your mod, are the demon hearts. The Baron is not as badass now, since you can't replenish your mana, and you don't have access to your snazzy demonic weapons.

2. The Flechette (poison flask) is the only item you can pick up and save for later use. Pressing 0 to use, it will bounce a short distance away before exploding. Similar to the way it acts for the fighter class.

3. Keys, switches, and other puzzle items can be picked up and used as normal.

4. The only weapons you will find, will be those of the classes you can choose from. They act oddly, however :
a. In a spawn point for a class weapon, all 3 will appear for that level. For an example, Ep 1 - Seven Portals. The main hub will spawn the Frost Shards scroll, the Serpent Staff, and Timon's Axe.
b. You can pick up only one of the weapons, as each one picked up will replace the previous one.
c. You can't save the weapon you picked up. If you change to either of your claws, the weapon disappears.
d. For each weapon, you'll get the graphics for the hands of that class.
e. You can pick up and store each mana type.

* For the record, I chose Timon's Axe. It's quite powerful in the hands of a Baron. It only takes 1 - 2 hits to kill something, and larger monsters are sent flying. Even shields are no match for Timon's Axe, when wielded by a Baron!

5. The white text used in Heretic, appears in Hexen. So, your mod does acknowledge the items I can pick up.

6. Korax still refers to me as a "mortal".

I'm going to see how far I can get with bare claws, ground slams, thrown chunks of material, and magical weapons with human arms.

* EDIT *

I was thinking ...

I bought Heretic, Hexen & DD, and Hexen 2 off Steam in a bundle. None except Hexen 2 worked, thanks to the lazy coders at Steam/Valve. A player posted a guide in the Heretic forums, about using GZdoom.

It worked like a charm, even helping in cleaning up the original DOOM games I bought through Steam. Hexen 2 doesn't register with GZdoom, as it runs with a seperate mod file a player made to make it work ( Damn, Steam is lazy. ).

Other than using GZdoom, maybe Heretic & Hexen were created with the same engine and/or game codes? This could explain why Baron can be applied to Hexen, but doesn't work 100%.

* Edit *

The arcane power and weapon enchantment items replace certain items ( i.e. With of Wrath ). While I get a boost to my "mortal" weapons, I can't enchant them.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

While baron can work on hexen as a class. he needs to replace any items with their equivalent mod counterparts. (like makeing most of the healing and ammo items as mana) and exchange the normal weapons with the ones from the mod as well.

This is up to brohne however.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

kadu522 wrote:While baron can work on hexen as a class. he needs to replace any items with their equivalent mod counterparts. (like makeing most of the healing and ammo items as mana) and exchange the normal weapons with the ones from the mod as well.

This is up to brohne however.
It's all good.

I'm having a blast, and seeing if I can make it to the end.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”