Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Slayer3201

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 11] 4/23/18 One Punch Bar

Post by Slayer3201 »

I've seen videos of this mod and it looks insanely fun, and I want to try it, but I can't seem to get the HUD to work. I've tried tinkering with settings, including all the Alternate HUD options, and nothing seems to work. Any advice?
(Here's a .zip of my game directory so you can tinker with it yourself to find out the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqmndemzwiteu ... y.zip?dl=0 )
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Heads up, getting the Bruisersphere makes your footsteps silent. (Quite enjoying the mod otherwise.)
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Ah, a lot of people seem to be having some issues with the HUD. I'll add something to the OP about it.

But make sure you have Alternate HUD turned OFF, and in HUD Options -> Scaling Options, either have User Interface Scale set to Adapt to Screen Size, or mess with it until it's a comfortable size.

ALSO, make sure your screen size (Display Options or pressing the + and - keys) is set to 11.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

This Mod is awesome! The weapons feel amazing to shoot and the concept of fighting as a Baron of hell is Badass as hell. However It is also apparent that it is still under construction and i do ave a few concerns.

First of all do something about the Auto cannon, all it does is fire faster as you keep shooting and has no alt or special mode. Please these in and maybe teak it a little too. second of all maybe you should add in a couple of more weapons like an energy weapon similar to the plasma rifle or a dedicated melee weapon like a huge demon sword. But that about it
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Thanks for your thoughts! Adding more weapons is a bit of a iffy thing. Between spells and guns, if one wants to over simplify a bit, there are 11 (?) weapons with most having multiple modes. Thats already quite a bit, and I'm wary of adding more for fear of the mod becoming a cluster fuck. That said, however, there is a melee weapon being worked on, but I don't want to say anymore than that :wink:

As for the Autocannon, I've been brainstorming some ideas to make it more interesting, like an alt fire that anchors it into the ground or something. It can be enchanted, and is super strong so its weird to work with on my end.

And no on any kind of energy weapon. The Baron hates that stuff.
ArkVogel

Post by ArkVogel »

Love the mod Brohnesorge!

What does the bruisersphere look like? From the description it seems to visually change the color of your hands when you get it so I'm pretty sure I haven't come across any, and I've played through 2 slaughter megawads so far.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Ahh, yeah that. I, uhh, keep meaning to remove that from the OP. Its not currently accessable in the mod.

But it's making a come back in a way soon...ish.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod, as well.

E: Actually, let me just edit the OP right now...
ArkVogel

Post by ArkVogel »

Hey it's me again.

Did I mention how incredibly fun it is playing melee-only? The weapons are great and they're really handy in getting you out of a bind, but nothing beats plowing through hundreds of demons with your bare claws (especially with Colorful Doom and Legendoom).

That said, might I make a few suggestions?
  • - I like how the number of punches follow the number of slashes that preceed it. It's intuitive. But the transition from the last punch to the ground slam is way too slow. Can you make the duration the same as the one between the punches?
    - And about that slam transition. There's no real payoff. I find myself canceling it out with a slash because it's significantly weaker than the punches. So how about making it into a full-fledged finisher that's even more powerful and wider than a regular slam? And if you could also make it so that the damage is proportional to the number of punches that came before it then that would be doubly awesome.
    - I think there's a lot of room to improve the rock attack. Could you make its setup speed, damage and/or blast radius scale with the each strength level?
That's about it. Looking forward to the next update :)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Been absolutely loving this mod so far(Been playing it through Maps of Chaos Overkill so far) and while I absolutely cannot wait to see how this might change in the future...I do hope you don't burn yourself out too much on this one alone. Found this through Icarus' Doom Mod Madness and saw you mention some other ideas for sequel mods in the future (Archvile, Revenant, and Arachnotron I believe) As those also see like really cool ideas to play around with, plus a good case of "Old vs New" and whatnot

Also this is the first weapons mod I've used(Aside from stuff like Russian Overkill) where I can gib a hellknight so...good on ya there.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Brohnesorge wrote:...I'm wary of adding more for fear of the mod becoming a cluster fuck...
If you ask me your mod is already a clusterfuck, no offense this is just constructive criticism :wink:
Brohnesorge wrote:And no on any kind of energy weapon. The Baron hates that stuff.
yet he uses hell energy(souls?) to cast spells...? :laff: :laff:
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

This mod evolved to absurd proportions, very cool.

Text Intermission does not work for Doom II, Plutonia and TNT, was it implemented for them as well?
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

SHayden wrote: If you ask me your mod is already a clusterfuck, no offense this is just constructive criticism :wink:
Just a heads up, constructive criticism usually offers at least some sort of solution...
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Wivicer wrote:
SHayden wrote: If you ask me your mod is already a clusterfuck, no offense this is just constructive criticism :wink:
Just a heads up, constructive criticism usually offers at least some sort of solution...
Well...obviously...if a mod is a clusterfuck...my solution would be to simply reduce the number of modifications and variations of same weapons/spells there is so fucking many I play this mod and I like it but to me it doesn't feel like THE baron if you get my meaning. For example there is so much guns and weapons that you don't really need claws/melee and also too many key bindings and also where does Baron keep all his weapons? In a backpack like doomguy? Baron is supposed to be buff muscular melee type oriented. Truth I didn't play the mod for some time last I remember rock throw and ground slam are great and I want more of such things I'd like to see glory kills like barons do in brutal doom when they grab the enemy and rip the open or in half and throw them at you...or like there should be armor in the game in sense that you can rip open dead human enemies and "wear" them as meat shields that absorb damage until broken....
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Hey, guys, I know its been awhile. I've been pecking along at the next Baron update and working on an enemy mod. It's been much slower than expected because of various IRL factors and being currently without internet. Going into week 2 of that.

Anyway, I'm going to drop in here quick to respond to you guys. I swear I havent been ignoring you, it just sucks to post on a phone! I say as I do it...

ArkVogel: So the idea of a combo finisher groundslam is actually pretty neat! I'll see what I can do with it. And the rock does progres with Fury and Carnage Runes. It flies further and does a little more damage. I'll see about maybe making the progression stronger to makr it more obvious.

Mataku: Thank you, always nice to hear somebody is having fun with the mod. I take it slow so I don't burn put, so it'll be awhile before any more HoDs come out, but I'm hoping to release a early version of Revenant by the end of the year.

DoctrineGamer: Intermission text is only on Doom 1, for now. I'm working on Doom 2's and I don't think I'll do any for Plutonia or TNT, but we'll see.

SHayden: I want to note that the claws and spells, especially after you find a Fury or Carnage rune, are much stronger than the guns by a pretty large margin. In fact, this last update added melee combo punches, and a Berserked Buffed Carnage punch is the single most damaging thing in the whole mod. Weapon storage is purely video game logic, don't worry about it too much. Finally, glory kill/ fatalities are outside the scope of this mod, as such thing require editing enemies, which this mod will not do.

Sorry if I didnt cover everything, phone typing at work sucks.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Brohnesorge!

Thank you for your kind attention. I'll follow your mod up to the final version, it's a lot of fun to play.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”