Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lwks

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 5.02] 5/17/17 BRUISER SPH

Post by lwks »

I was playing the first level of Doom 2 and noticed that the projectiles are spawning so high that they're colliding with the ceiling as soon as they are spawned (I'm talking about the fireballs and the shotgun). That's something you need to fix
Baronos

Post by Baronos »

Really Good,this mod is getting better and better
Are you also planning to do other Doom monsters mods in the future?
Another question are you going to make a custom HUD for this mod?I think it would be a nice addition.
Last edited by Baronos on Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

lwks wrote:I was playing the first level of Doom 2 and noticed that the projectiles are spawning so high that they're colliding with the ceiling as soon as they are spawned (I'm talking about the fireballs and the shotgun). That's something you need to fix
Are you sure is not a engine problem?

I use the 3.0 Devbuild and it works fine.
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

lwks wrote:I was playing the first level of Doom 2 and noticed that the projectiles are spawning so high that they're colliding with the ceiling as soon as they are spawned (I'm talking about the fireballs and the shotgun). That's something you need to fix
Yeah it's so that the projectile actually comes out of where the sprite is on the screen. I've noticed it too, and its especially bad for the Bruiser Baron Ball.
I'll tweak around with it, see if I can come to a compromise between function and form. For now, get closer and aim downward. It helps. And yeah, this is still the case with Dev builds.

As for strafe speed, that's a bit of a leftover of a scraped feature and a symptom of NashMove. I'll tweak around with it, but I don't really want The Baron to be super dodgy. It defeats the purpose of having 1000 hp and a large amount of human enemies you kill healing you. Especially with Soul Siphon (which I'll fix next update, I promise!) and berserk Carnage.

As for other monster, the Revenant is in the planning stages. And, to be perfectly honest, a HUD is planned but is super low priority. It had a lot to do with the fact that SBARINFO is still largely Greek to me.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I'll just tell you one thing...
Spoiler:
I believe you deserve it.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

I actually do not think that Vulcan needs any changes. I like to whip it out once in a while to utterly destroy everything in front of me and relieve myself of the spare 20mm rounds. Overpenetrating shells work good enough for me.
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

Every time I am trying to melee a enemy, I am always going over their heads, making it very difficult to hitting them without crouching! And some some maps I go through some windows without noticing.
I think this new stepheight should return to the default or at least be a keybind!
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

I like the step height, not only does it make sence, the fact that you are steping over some thing is becuse you are moveing to fast.
Also you don't need to be right at the enemys face to do melee.
lwks

Post by lwks »

For some strange reason the shotgun seems to not give a fuck about where I'm aiming...
(In case the fucking image is not loading >>> https://ibb.co/kHpEJF)
Whenever I aim down the bullets just go straing foward and as you can see sometimes it doesn't even care the direction which I'm firing too.

The weaker monsters take 2 fire balls to die even in the lowest difficulty setting (WTF?), that's very strange. Also, Healing is so low that even your large hp pool don't compensate, or am I missing something?

Edit: "Azazel Rapid Autocannon: ...Because of its high power..."
High power
high power ~
a imp can take 2 shoots
lol I though this mod was about empowerment

Also fireballs have HUGE hitboxes
(https://ibb.co/iPsOCa)
It's not just about how high they're spawning, they really have HUGE hitboxes cause they can't even go through the corridor if I shoot from the outside, try it yourself.

PS.: In case anyone is wondering the maps are Community Chest 4 and Back to Saturn Episode One
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Alright, lets see here.

The shotgun thing is because of the way the flak deployment works. It always deploys straight opposite of you because its trying to shoot you but with its pitch and angle set to 180, so it shoots behind it. It's the only way I could find to have it work and take in account for the canister's pitch while shooting up. As for the oddness in the screen shot, that's because the canisters bounce off walls, so it bounced, then shot opposite of you. It weird and I am looking into ways to have it not be so weird.

Your starting Baron Ball is the same as enemies, so its the engine's Baron Ball. In tight corridors, just crouch (make sure you go into gameplay settings and switch allow crouch to "Yes" not "Default") or use your claws. Across a number of test runs on BTSX, I got either a Belial or an Azazel every time, so you shouldn't need to use it anyway.

Heals are low but very frequent. I've actually lowered them over the course of development so that there is some(ish) challenge to the game. Earlier, they were larger and super frequent,so it was almost impossible to die. While I am going for an OP thing, I'm not looking to be RO OP. I might code in a random chance for Stimpacks to spawn as Souls, because I've had some issues on some maps with not having enough healing to get through. I'll mess around with it and see how it goes.
Iwks wrote: Edit: "Azazel Rapid Autocannon: ...Because of its high power..."
High power
high power ~
a imp can take 2 shoots
lol I though this mod was about empowerment
1st, don't be an ass.
2nd, the Azazel does kill imps in one shot, and gibbs them, even. Like I just summoned 30 imps and killed them all in one shot each.

Edit because I just woke up and haven't address everything yet: The stepping up on enemies is unexpected to say the least. I don't want to change it back, but I'll see if I can finaggle a way to make it where you can't step up on enemies. Or make it where walking on them does light damage. We'll see.

As for the Vulcan, tbh, it's rework will probably end up being very similar to what it is now.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

I'll admit, this updates a little small for how long it's taken me to make it, but here it is
Spoiler: ChangeLog

Focus on the next one will be making all the Bruiser stuff consistent, so that you actually see the Bruiser's Hands when you are in Bruiser Mode. Naturally, keep me posted, and I'll try to address any major problems.

And editing and releasing the third episode. I have it recorded, I just need to edit it.

Also, Lt.blam is going to drop some hot new Azazel sprites on me soon, and is working on redoing all the gun sprites, so I'll probably be taking a little break, or at least slowing down, until he's done. I'll still do bug fixes, however, so as always, keep me posted.
lwks

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 5.1] 5/23/17

Post by lwks »

Oh sorry I didn't want to be THAT GUY but you got me there I find the balancing in this mod very strange, not saying it's not great, ya got quite the skills but I lfmao so hard when a zombie man got 3 fireballs in the face, cuz let's be honest it's very odd that you are a ancient and more powerful kind of baron and still can't one shoot the weaker enemy in the game, for a sec I though the pistol was more powerful lmfao
Brohnesorge

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 5.1] 5/23/17

Post by Brohnesorge »

I'll admit, it was one of my less popular decisions, but I opted to have you start out a little weaker then before and add in some progression. Because I like progression and feel it makes it more satisfying when you do get super powerful later on. Granted, it all depends on the WAD, but remember you always have your Groundslam, which is pretty powerful, and the Spell Strike. While both are a little costly at first (10 mana) they can get you through some tight spots before you can get your hands on a gun or a melee upgrade. On top of your BB alt-fire, which fires a shotgun blast of them.

Still, DAT RNG, on the zombies, cuz your still doing 8-64 even on starting balls.

Edit :
Final episode up! Check out the Icon of Sin kill, especially.
No I don't know why the quality is so inconsistent. It's fine before rendering, fine when viewed from my hard drive. Oh well, it is what it is.

shotfan

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 5.1] 5/23/17 LAST VIDEO D

Post by shotfan »

I am liking Spell Strikes. BB one is a bit underwhelming, but Fireball's one... delicious! I am a sucker for explosive charging punches! :mrgreen:
Immolation SS? Maybe a plasma shield that erases projectiles upfront, but at hefty Mana cost? So you would use it only when your health is in a really bad shape and have no cover nearby.

I am currently playing on Archon of Hell, and I think I will stick to it. Icon of Sin with its painless and always attacking monsters may be a bit too much for me.

Bruiser Baron does not seem to be ridiculous in power, which is a good thing. However, his version of Fireball may be a bit weaker than the standard one with booster (especially the altfire), which wipes out crowds really good (like, better than vanilla BFG kind-of-good). I still think he should get some speed buff as well. Flametrail is fabulous though :grr:
Brohnesorge

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 5.1] 5/23/17 LAST VIDEO D

Post by Brohnesorge »

The fruit of labors over the week, here's another update.
Spoiler: ChangeLog
One of the more notable things here is the Napalm nerf, I assure you, it's still really powerful, but now Krak missiles will actually be viable and I've added the Napalm to a number of Bruiser things, making it more powerful.

I kinda find it funny that the plasma shield idea has been floating around since about page 3 of the topic, but I haven't really heard any other ideas that I've liked for Immolation SS, so that'll probably be the one I go with. I've got to mess around with it.

I also want to note that the Bruiser Baron isn't as strong as Boosted Baron, but Bruiser will get it's own Boost soon. I'm starting to work on the sprites and stuff for it. Bruiser Sphere was also supposed to give you a speed boost, but it didn't play nice with the Carnage's speed boost so it was removed right before release. If you select the Bruiser Baron class, you'll have it; its only missing from the Sphere. I'll mess around with some stuff and see if I can get it to work right.

ALSO, please if you have any issues with the shit being selectable with 0 Mana, tell me ASAP. I'm not super confident in the way I got it to work, so if it breaks, take note and tell me. I tested it pretty extensively, but still...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”