Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 6.1] 7/7/17 That last pos

Post by Brohnesorge »

Bit of a progress report bump, but check this shit out! I'm super SUPER excited to show you the progress on Heretic Support! It's about 75% done, with only a few more items needing replaced, and maybe even some Heretic unique mechanics!

Also, the Azazel fire modes! Expect it sometime the weekend of 7/21!

As always, keep me up to date with your questions, concerns and comments!

P.S. You may be wondering what happened to another playthrough series. Well, my desktop that I use for recording died on me, and it'll be awhile before I can replace the parts need to get it running again. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to that! All 2 of you.
AvzinElkein

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 6.1] 7/7/17 Heretic Incom

Post by AvzinElkein »

Well, that sucks, but I can't wait to see the upcoming Heretic-compatible version.
SoulCircle

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 6.1] 7/7/17 That last pos

Post by SoulCircle »

Spoiler:
That looks wonderful, dude! Also, thanks for taking my intro music suggestion and using it, it fits! (Just don't forget to credit the creator. Tell me on Discord if you need me to resend it to you.)

Also nice to see the Azazel got nerfed. That thing was waaaayyy too overpowered. Also, so far only 2 people care. Like ya said.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Okay. I've played through a couple of Oblige maps and:

-You can just walk through windows. A little irritating.
-There should really be a little menu where it shows all your weapons, runes, spellbooks etc, with a short description of what it does, a little backstory, and perhaps controls, since every weapon does something different. Better than showing it all on the HUD, which is currently quite clunky.
-Baron sounds get repetitive fast. The stomping sound is too loud for it's own good.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

TootsyBowl wrote:Okay. I've played through a couple of Oblige maps and:

-You can just walk through windows. A little irritating.
100% intentional. The Baron has a high step height, allowing him to step up onto things that Doomguy wouldn't be able to. Because he's double the height,
so it only makes sense.

-There should really be a little menu where it shows all your weapons, runes, spellbooks etc, with a short description of what it does, a little backstory, and perhaps controls, since every weapon does something different. Better than showing it all on the HUD, which is currently quite clunky.
I was working on an instructions screen that does just that, but got distracted by Heretic. I'll come back to it. In the meantime, read the OP. Or at least skim it. As for the HUD, I prefer HUDs that do show all the information, so other then just some style stuff in the future, I don't plan on changing that.
-Baron sounds get repetitive fast. The stomping sound is too loud for it's own good.
Hmmm...I'm quite fine with where they are now, after having a whole sound fiasco waaaaaaaaay back. If more people complain, I'll do something about it.
For now, though, sorry but I'm not changing them around.
I'll take a look. I got someone else saying the same in Discord.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

It's here early but here is is, THE HERETIC UPDATE!
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
I should note that the Heretic balance is much different then Doom balance. In Heretic, you tend to get more mana and more SOulgems, but less gun ammo. It's not very well tested (I just did a playthrough of E1 through E3), however, so I'm VERY interested in feedback.

Also, the Immolation nerf, before you get your torches and pitchforks, is not nearly as dramatic as you might think. It still shreds most enemies and crowds, but it now is MUCH less effective against Cyberdemons and Spidermasterminds. And Maulotaurs I guess.

I also want to announce two that I'll be putting The Baron on the back burner for awhile. I'm NOT abandoning him, but there won't be any major updates (Beta 8) for awhile. I'll still do balance tweaks, minor polish things and feedback stuff. I'm starting work on another mod, learning ZScript in the process. No, it's NOT HoD-Revenant, but I'm learning ZScript to make HoD-Revenant even better and cleaner then HoD-Baron!
Brohnesorge

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 7] 7/18/17 Down with D'sp

Post by Brohnesorge »

Woah, coming back with a teeny tiny update that just kinda adds in something I keep seeing requested on YouTube of all places. In normal play you don't even notice it. All it is is I added the custom damage types to trigger the alternate deaths in BDMonsters. Everything else is untouched. Check the OP.

Anyway, I am also just here saying that I am returning to The Baron to get more work done on it, while also working on Soldier Z. I plan on alternated weeks, with this week being Baron. Planned for next update : Bruiser Devastation Alt-Fire!

Anyways, keep me posted! I'll be browsing through the thread and dusting off my copy of HUD to give myself a refresher of what needs to be done, but as always, I am very interested in your comments, concerns, questions, railings, ravings, anything.
Brohnesorge

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 7.2] 10/9/2017 Claws of S

Post by Brohnesorge »

Yeah I know quad post but I have the fruit of my labor: A total re balance of the Claws! Alt-fires are untouched, as I have special plans for those, but now the boosts follow an actual progression and Bruiser is now effected by Enhanced and Carnage. Its now the same strength as the normal claws, but it's faster and has slightly longer reach.

Also the Bruiser Devastation Alt, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but I was running low on energy and was distracted by getting the girlfriend caught up on JoJo's so it is what it is.

Grab it here.
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
I have 1 more thing I want to add to the mod: Slot 8 Soul Magic. This is magic that would cost both Soulgems and Mana, but mostly involves summoning minions. The bigger the monster, the greater the cost, like summoning a few imps would cost you no Mana and 1 Soulgem but summoning a Baron of Hell with the Fireball Tome would be much higher.

But before that, I'm going back over every weapon, 1 at a time, to polish and improve them. The BB updates and the Claw rebalance is the first part of it. I'll post a full todo in the OP towards the bottom. My goal is 1 weapon per Baron work week, but we'll see if we keep that pace. Full time jobs take a lot of energy, man.

Have fun and keep me posted!
Atik

Post by Atik »

So, hello! I've been lurking these forums for a little while, using them for Doom Mods obviously. And I've decided to make an account, mostly because I really wanted to offer some feedback on this mod. The selling point was damn awesome. "Play as a Baron of Hell!" Sign me right up for that!

But, I do have a number of opinions that I want to voice, especially with your last post hinting at ending the mod soon.

So, first of all, is the HUD. I understand I'm not the first person to voice complaints about the HUD, but I really have to. It's so cluttered. Let me take a moment to post a picture after I use the "give all" command.
Spoiler:
I notice you said you want "all the information available". But I don't think this HUD does that. It takes up a significant portion of the screen, doesn't show me what ammo is used by what weapons, has a random duplicate ammo icon above the rest of the ammo, and (not pictured, but I've noticed it) when you have Soul Gems, the number of them you have is listed twice right beside each other. So if I have 3, for example, it reads "33" beside the Soul Gem icon.

Now, I wouldn't be so put-off by this fact if I had the option of the Alternate HUD. However, when I attempted to switch to the more basic style, this was the result.
Spoiler:
It doesn't show my weapons or my ammo count, making it more-or-less unusable. I know the majority of gameplay mods support this HUD, and I feel like an update to allow this mod to use it would be the best option in terms of fixing the HUD problem.

My only other complaint is with the Vulcan minigun. Or, more accurately, a question of it's existence alongside the rapid-fire mode of Azazel. They consume the same ammo type at about the same rate, and I really don't understand why they have such overlap. All it does is prevent me from ever using the Vulcan, because I can switch modes on the Azazel much faster than switching guns.

Other than that, I love the actual gameplay of this mod. I did a playthrough of the Brutal Doom map-pack and an Oblige Map Pack I generated to get a proper feel. The Azazel and Belial feel suitably meaty and very satisfying, the spellcasting is fun, and the entire mod just SOUNDS badass. Stomping around and demolishing my foes is loads of fun.

One idea I had, while finishing up the Oblige levels, was the idea of the classes. It may be outside of the scope you envision for this mod, but I thought it would be cool to have other demons for variable difficulty; specifically an imp and Hell Knight with weaker spells and health pools. But that's just a total pipe dream on my part, so there you go.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Gonna brief because on phone and have to clock in in 10 minutes.
Vulcan does way more damage but is in the middle of being redone, second number by soul gems is Baron Ball Level with no label because I was a sbarinfo info noob. Second ammo counter is indicator of Azazel ammo type selected and amount of sub ammo; Azazel also being reworked again.

Will fix soon

Hell Knight class was actually planned for later. Basically Baron with half everything and no Bruiser Sphere or Devastation. No Imp; scrapped idea for another Hearts of Demons.

Always glad to hear when someone enjoys it.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

OH. i noticed that you had leftover friendly actors on the code. so you are going to use them for a summoning system.

also does useing up soul gems decrece your max mana? becuse at the moment your ACS code just up's it by 50 every time you get a soulgem. not your active total.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Yeah losing soul gems will lower your mana total and baron ball level. I have to redo pretty large chunks of code for it to work 100%, but that's still a ways off.

Also I was finally able to load the images of your HUD issue, Atik. Change your HUD scaling under HUD options; it shouldn't be that big
Atik

Post by Atik »

Brohnesorge wrote:Yeah losing soul gems will lower your mana total and baron ball level. I have to redo pretty large chunks of code for it to work 100%, but that's still a ways off.

Also I was finally able to load the images of your HUD issue, Atik. Change your HUD scaling under HUD options; it shouldn't be that big
Well, I suppose this is what I get for still being new-ish to GZdoom.

Also, yeah. Sorry about the images. It seems Imgur's urls are a little picky.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Don't worry about it mate. It took me a unreasonable amount of time to get the logo for Soldier Z working, if that makes you feel better.

Still you've brought up some legit issues with the HUD that I've been ignoring. Might as well convert it to Zscript and fix it.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

I don't think lowering the normal fireball level is a good idea. since by the point you are useing soulgems you are pretty far off in a given map-set and haveing it as another ranged option is nice.

also since you are going to redo the ACS code i noticed that the max carrys over even on pistol start entry's (Dump 2 and 3 mainly). but if you are going to do the max by "amount on hand" it should fix it anyway.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”