[LZWolf] Wolfenstein Cosmetic Upgrade + Discipline redux

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[LZWolf] Wolfenstein Cosmetic Upgrade + Discipline redux

Post by Woolie Wool »

Video footage of Discipline E5M8 with Wolfenstein Cosmetic Upgrade

DOWNLOAD (6.54 MB)
Requires a recent build of LZWolf.

Changes since beta 2:
* Moved to LZWolf
* Opus music replaced with MIDI
* Massively altered palette and retouches to many graphics to fit the new style
* Enhancements to WL6 menu art
* New seamless, textured status bar border that should render the same at any resolution
* Sky texture added to Spear map17
* Discipline remaster added

Wolfenstein Cosmetic Upgrade is a mod for ECWolf designed for use with the original Wolfenstein 3D and SoD map sets and any mods that are purely maps only (no source code changes, custom sprites, etc.). The idea is what Wolfenstein would look like if it got the mid-'90s CD remaster treatment that games like TIE Fighter and some of Sierra's adventure games received. It completely overhauls the visuals, sounds, and music to look richer and more modern. Even the interface is overhauled, with nearly everything that had flat colors in the original getting a texture. No changes are made to the gameplay except for certain bosses being made tougher to compensate for ECWolf's more fluid controls.

The new 2.0 update brings many changes, including a vibrant new palette that replaces most of the original game colors and numerous LZWolf features, but the biggest change is that it now comes with a remastered version of Discipline, my recent E5 replacement made in collaboration with Thomas Weiling, that demonstrates what the Cosmetic Upgrade is really capable of given maps made for it. This version of Discipline contains not only full plane 3 floor and ceiling texture, but sky effects for all outside views and, as for the first-time in any Wolfenstein mod, per-tile lighting. Every tile of every map has a defined light value, allowing for hand-painted lighting and shadows previously seen only in Doom- and Build-engine games. This remaster is in a second file, wolfcu-discipline.pk3, which should be loaded after wolfcu_20.pk3.

Features:
* Crisp new wall textures and sprites with an aesthetic similar to Wolfenstein Sextilogy and the ECWolf Tech Demo.
* Revamped palette with darker, subtler colors.
* Richly textured interface.
* Hi-res 44 kHz sounds and MIDI remixes of the original Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny soundtracks (optimized for the Roland SC-55 and Roland SC-88, but the Microsoft synth and Sound Canvas-style soundfonts should also sound good).
* Floor/ceiling textures and light levels set for each level. Ceiling textures are chosen to match the original ceiling colors.
* Compatible with Wolf3D, Spear, and pure map packs (Acktung!, Alliance of Powers, MPIXSOD, etc.).
* Includes Discipline remaster using special Cosmetic Upgrade features.

Screenshots (from Discipline):

Attachments
TITLEPIC.png
TITLEPIC.png (21.4 KiB) Viewed 11910 times
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Re: [ECWolf] Wolfenstein Cosmetic Upgrade

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

This is definitely looking like the one by Ceejay, but with more detail, atmosphere and live. I can't wait for download, and Woolie, how many projects are you working on?
He must have cloned himself, lol.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

This looks great! Is there a download link for it?
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I can definitely believe this is an enhanced CD-ROM version!
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Voltcom9 wrote:This looks great! Is there a download link for it?
Woolie Wool wrote:Download coming soon!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i wouldn't mind if that buzzing when you press against a wall got replaced by something a bit more subtler, if possible. it's one of the major annoyances i have about the original Wolfenstein. i'll probably give this a whirl when it's released, since i never finished Wolfenstein.
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:I never finished Wolfenstein.
:shock:
Viscra Maelstrom

what, can you blame me? there's 6 episodes, and 60 bloody levels to go through, all of which are maze-like, has no map-feature to speak of, enemies that can kill you very easily if you aren't too careful, with little visual distinction between rooms and levels, making everything just kind of blend together into a similar-looking mess. also, mutants that are too trigger happy. it's a classic alright, but it's fair to see how much Doom improved on the FPS formula to me.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

They've got a point. There have been times when I got bored trying to navigate the seemingly endless mazes of levels. Still, it's a game I treasure.
Viscra Maelstrom

at least ECWolf has a map feature now, it seems, which would greatly cut down on the amount you have to spend backtracking. if it has a map marking feature like Doom as well, it'd be even better.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Really nice.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Cool, and they have more historical uniform. Glad to see more Wolf mods.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

This looks absolutely excellent, which is pretty much par for the course for Woolie Wool's Wolf mods. Will flats be uniform throughout entire levels?

Also, I always disliked the fake "entrance to level" elevators in the original Wolf, preferring the entrance elevators like in Spear of Destiny. Will you be getting rid of those eyesores?
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

this looks good so far keep it up woolie wool
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

Bofubutt wrote:This looks absolutely excellent, which is pretty much par for the course for Woolie Wool's Wolf mods. Will flats be uniform throughout entire levels?

Also, I always disliked the fake "entrance to level" elevators in the original Wolf, preferring the entrance elevators like in Spear of Destiny. Will you be getting rid of those eyesores?
No, the fake elevators are part of the level design. This mod does not include levels.

Also don't knock the fake doors too much, they provide you with many more options for an interesting start than a Spear-style elevator.

The flats are uniform per level as they are in mapinfo and not part of the level itself.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”