MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p127)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Captain J » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Kinsie wrote:
AdmiralAjax wrote:The inventory items seem to not work, giving me a 'you don't have any grenades' message on any of them. This is probably from using a dev version, but I'm not going to install a stable version for just one mod.
Update your devbuild. Inventory handling was busted for a little while near the end of January.
Speaking of which, this site might be helpful, yet trustworthy for the all time now.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Techokami » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Kinsie wrote:
AdmiralAjax wrote:The inventory items seem to not work, giving me a 'you don't have any grenades' message on any of them. This is probably from using a dev version, but I'm not going to install a stable version for just one mod.
Update your devbuild. Inventory handling was busted for a little while near the end of January.

This. For the gory details, here's the bugtracker entry.
User avatar
Techokami
For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems.
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Location: E3M7
Discord: Techokami#7650
Github ID: Techokami
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Agitatio » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:44 am

What's the difference between setting Blood Lifetime to 0 and setting Force Blood to Fade Out to On?
User avatar
Agitatio
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Discord: Agitatio#4183
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby isaacpop23 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:11 pm

I was going to report any bugs I found in the latest update, but I found none sooooo.....

For balance the only thing was that I found the primary fire on the Lighting Gun to be kinda low, the Plasma Gun seems to outrank it in most ways.

And lastly, not really a bug or balance, but I found that on Barrels O' Fun it's impossible to get through the barrel runs without taking damage unless the barrels don't catch on. So unless you're at near full you're dead, or you get lucky and take none. It'd be nice for that not to be a chance set-up, cause it was not pleasant for my Ultra-Nightmare run to end abruptly by a lottery pull. Not sure if this is really fixable but it's worth mentioning.


Also, I'm curious how far others have gotten on Ultra-Nightmare, as Barrels O' Fun was my farthest. Anyone else gotten farther?
User avatar
isaacpop23
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2013

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Kinsie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 am

isaacpop23 wrote:For balance the only thing was that I found the primary fire on the Lighting Gun to be kinda low, the Plasma Gun seems to outrank it in most ways.
Hmm, yeah. I tried to aim for it to use the same amount of cells to kill a monster as the Plasma Gun, but given it consumes cells slower and doesn't cause flinch I can probably get away with giving it a buff.

isaacpop23 wrote:And lastly, not really a bug or balance, but I found that on Barrels O' Fun it's impossible to get through the barrel runs without taking damage unless the barrels don't catch on. So unless you're at near full you're dead, or you get lucky and take none. It'd be nice for that not to be a chance set-up, cause it was not pleasant for my Ultra-Nightmare run to end abruptly by a lottery pull. Not sure if this is really fixable but it's worth mentioning.
D'oh, I completely forgot about Barrels 'O' Fun when making the barrels explode faster. I can probably do something like use the old pre-explosion animation speed for when a barrel is exploded by another barrel, or something along those lines. Any thoughts?
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Captain J » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:21 am

Kinsie wrote:D'oh, I completely forgot about Barrels 'O' Fun when making the barrels explode faster. I can probably do something like use the old pre-explosion animation speed for when a barrel is exploded by another barrel, or something along those lines. Any thoughts?
Sounds good and merciful. Some of the maps tricks you with room full of barrels surrounding you, after all.

Reminds me of the day i played Icarus, i really hated the room with barrels and teleporter.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Kinsie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:19 pm



Good friend* ICARUSLIV3S took on MetaDoom, and wasn't entirely against the experience!

On that note, I'm preparing a bit of a mini-update to tweak and improve things based on player feedback before I rip (and tear) into the next major update.
DONE:
- Explosive Barrels now use the old explosion animation speed when killed by another explosive barrel. This should make Doom2 MAP23 easier to play.
- Increased Lightning Gun damage from 7 to 12.
- Added some FOV punch and increased sprite-recoil to the SSG firing animation.

ON MY HIT LIST:
- Make the Plasma Gun altfire beefier.
- Make the BFG altfire beefier.
- Make Baron projectiles less crappy from long range, especially when shot downwards from a great height.
- Make Shotgun alt-fire grenade damage a little more consistent/predictable




(* guy i yell at over twitch chat sometimes)
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Daemeon93 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm

I was just wondering how you get rid of the flashlight in this WAD? I'm asking because it seems to only be on the pistol and would like to use this WAD with some lighting mods to make the game darker/scarier and would like to use a flashlight mod.
Daemeon93
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2016

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Spaceman333 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Ah, I hate to say it as it comes off as I'm forcing my will here, but I would really like to see this mod adopt the NC Hud.
The current HUD just feels cramped and unstylish with its concrete texture.

Something like this would be more enjoyable (NC Hud in JohnnyDoom):
https://s12.postimg.org/szlo28e2l/Scree ... 003037.jpg
User avatar
Spaceman333
 
Joined: 13 Oct 2016

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby isaacpop23 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Spaceman333 wrote:The current HUD just feels cramped and unstylish with its concrete texture.

I'd have to disagree there, the HUD for this mod is one of my favorites, partly BECAUSE it's "cramped". It gives what I need to know and I don't have to look all over the screen for it, and it doesn't take up any more space than the standard HUD.

On a different point, it seems odd that the shield wall and dog collars come up first instead of basic grenades for equipment drops. They seem more like later game items for once you've settled into a run-through.
User avatar
isaacpop23
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2013

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby HyperLuke » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 pm

This is a great mod, I love the concept, and for the most part it is very fun to play, but I would like to give a few suggestions.

- Some weapons don't spawn in after a very long amount of playtime eg chaingun, but usually it works.
- Increased range of Lightning Rifles Primary Fire.
- Seems to be a short delay between the Super Shotgun finishing reloading and being able to fire it.
- Is it just me or does it seem that the damage that Doomguy takes is more than normal?
- Weapon switching time should be shorter.
- Minigun runs out of ammo way to quick.
- Flashlight should be mapped to a key, not a altfire for a weapon.

Things I liked

- Weapons feel really fun to use.
- Music for titlescreen and intermission screen are superb, there should be more music like it in this mod.
- Unlockable weapons and enemies throughout is a lot better than using the same weapons for most of a megawad.
- Sprites and sound are really nice.

Just as an idea, why not add an upgrade system? It would increase the unlockables and replay value.

Thanks for making this mod, it must take a lot of time and effort, something I wish I could do.
User avatar
HyperLuke
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Location: Inside a shotgun shell.

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Captain J » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 pm

HyperLuke wrote:- Minigun runs out of ammo way to quick.
Of course, she weighs sixteen sixty six kilograms and fires two hell-forged bullets at ten thousand rounds per minute...

What i actually saying is, while it has greater rate of fire and damage, it also has disadvantages to choke on. Like it spends more ammo than machine gun. If minigun actually consumed less ammo, machine gun would have been useless.

Also it's same with pistol's flashlight. It would have been useless without the light.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Kinsie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:34 am

Spaceman333 wrote:Ah, I hate to say it as it comes off as I'm forcing my will here, but I would really like to see this mod adopt the NC Hud.
The current HUD just feels cramped and unstylish with its concrete texture.

Something like this would be more enjoyable (NC Hud in JohnnyDoom):
https://s12.postimg.org/szlo28e2l/Scree ... 003037.jpg
I've heard some complaints about the current HUD, and I understand them. Ideally, the minimum HUD would be fairly different and more Doom 3-ish. However, if you'd please listen to my counter-argument of Fuck SBARINFO, I'm sure we can come to an understanding. :)

HyperLuke wrote:- Increased range of Lightning Rifles Primary Fire.
Done. In the next version it'll reach 1.5x further and do a little more damage.
HyperLuke wrote:- Seems to be a short delay between the Super Shotgun finishing reloading and being able to fire it.
There was a reason for this... I forget what it was off-hand, but there was one...
HyperLuke wrote:- Weapon switching time should be shorter.
I'm pretty sure it's faster than in the base game already.
HyperLuke wrote:- Minigun runs out of ammo way to quick.
I tweaked this a little for the next version.
HyperLuke wrote:- Flashlight should be mapped to a key, not a altfire for a weapon.
This would render the Light-Amp kind of useless.
HyperLuke wrote:- Music for titlescreen and intermission screen are superb, there should be more music like it in this mod.
I've inflated the filesize with enough music, I think. Grab the music mod of your choice and use it to play along!
HyperLuke wrote:Just as an idea, why not add an upgrade system? It would increase the unlockables and replay value.
I'd rather not. It's already hard enough to see certain things, and D4D has already taken weapon upgrade systems to their logical conclusion... for better and for worse.
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 am

I think the progression system in this mod makes a fairly logical "upgrade" system anyway. Play more of the game, and find more weapons, to unlock the possibility of finding more, better stuff, and consequently, harder enemies. The only time i'd say it fails are with megawada that arent a full 32 levels, like Ewuinox, Talosian Incident, Ancient Aliens might be affected, and even BTSX doesnt have a full set of levels
User avatar
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
 
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Location: plergleland

Re: MetaDoom v3.0 "Samuel" (p65)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

Kinsie wrote:
HyperLuke wrote:- Flashlight should be mapped to a key, not a altfire for a weapon.
This would render the Light-Amp kind of useless.


It already very much is if you do not leave the Sector Light Mode to "Dark". Plus the placement of Light Amp items is so inconsistent: some very dark levels will not have any and some well-lit ones will have plenty. Much like the Partial Invisibility, Light Amp has never really been particularly useful.

Personally, I think you should drop the Flashlight altogether, make the Light Amp a carriable item like DN3D's NV Googles and give the Pistol a Charge Shot instead.
JohnnyTheWolf
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kominate and 13 guests