MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p127)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v7 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p124)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:53 am

In order to make the most out of the Pistol's flashlight secondary mode, I am currently playing Doom II in "Dark" light sector mode and now I get to experience what Doom 3 would have felt like had it been as fast-paced as Classic Doom! :lol:

On my end, I altered the highest difficulty setting so that monsters would have twice the health and that less ammo and supplies would spawn: it forces me to be creative and make the most out of the arsenal at my disposal - including MetaDoom's new tools, such as the melee weapons, the unlimited ammo pistol and inventory items. I considered running MetaDoom with my personal monster replacement minimod that replaces all hitscan possessed human enemies with Realm667's monsters that shoot projectiles and do not drop ammo, but I decided not to because I did not want to miss out on MetaDoom's randomly-spawned monsters and also because you had the good sense of giving hitscan enemies projectile attacks.

All in all, I am having a great time with MetaDoom! :thumb:
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby TheRedCrow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:02 am

So, I really like this mod all together, I would put it on par with DoomEXP, which was my no. 1 mod pretty much uncontested until now. here's some feedback:
I really like the Marauder, and I feel like the way he's implemented displays a good understanding of player progression, as by default he shows up after the first superweapon but doesn't get really flexed on until you get the Gauss cannon. That being said, the second one I encountered was on circle of death, and gall darn it if that fool doesn't just love falling off ledges and getting stuck there. His AI should probably be tweaked to avoid ledges as long as the player is on the same Y level as him to avoid anymore hour long fights that consist primarily of waiting for him to stop jumping and get back on the ledge. Second, he really likes throwin' those darn axes, he could probably do with dashing a bit more so that the fights go a bit faster. Otherwise a very fun fight.

Next, the hud is nice and compact, which I appreciate, but it would also be nice to have cooldown indicator for things like items and the meathook.

Lastly, weapon balance, the vast majority of weapons in this feel really good to use, but by the time I typically find the hatchet it's wildly outclassed by the chainsaw. The SSG also starts to fall behind when compared to your other options like the GC or the absolute orgasmic mobile turret (seriously, you deserve all the Caco Awards just for that lead spewing, genocidal, triple barreled abomination, its beautiful) maybe, similar to the demon keys, you can find Uranium Shells in secrets. A potential option to avoid making any changes to the weapon itself is just adding quick-swapping, I get that theres a lot of weapons so that could be difficult, but using a weapon wheel mod it could go really fast and even swapping between the ssg and the rifle/rocket could make it a much more viable option to get in a ton of burst damage while adding to the frantic gameplay.

Also, what is that sort of digital-soldier voice supposed to be saying, because I heard it once as "Scary object" and "Spooky Oven" and now, unfortunately, I can hear nothing else. Great mod, Keep up the good work!
TheRedCrow

Postby Kinsie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm

TheRedCrow wrote:Next, the hud is nice and compact, which I appreciate, but it would also be nice to have cooldown indicator for things like items and the meathook.
The item cooldown indicator is behind the item's inventory icon. The Meathook's cooldown timer is on the SSG itself. I'm not sure that adding Yet Even More Meters to the screen would be an especially good idea.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:44 pm

Question: since inventory items now have unlimited use, is there a benefit to picking up them up if you already have them?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby AvzinElkein » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:46 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Question: since inventory items now have unlimited use, is there a benefit to picking up them up if you already have them?

They already said that picking a duplicate up removes that item's cooldown.
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinTW#6569
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. And I guess I was picking a duplicate of inventory items I was not currently holding, hence why it did not seem to have an effect.

Alright, thanks for refreshing my memory! :wink:
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Hunting4r2d2 wrote:Hey, so I've been trying to run this gameplay mod, but every time I open it in GZDoom, it just plays the vanilla game. Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

If you're running the dev build (Which may be pointless now since the new version came out) you have to open the zip file, find "metadoom-dev," extract it somewhere, then drag the folder onto GZDoom or add it to a launcher of your choosing.
mamaluigisbagel
"If I ever have kids, they're going to come out circle-strafing." ~Civvie 11

Discord: Nonemployee#1013
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:51 am

Someone refreshes my memory again: is there a way to get ammo from killing enemies?

Playing the mod so far and searching through the thread, I gathered that melee attacks make enemies drop health, but I have not noticed anything about them dropping ammo as well.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Kinsie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 am

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Someone refreshes my memory again: is there a way to get ammo from killing enemies?

Playing the mod so far and searching through the thread, I gathered that melee attacks make enemies drop health, but I have not noticed anything about them dropping ammo as well.
They drop their usual ammo pickups upon death. Arch-Viles and Marauders drop BFG ammo upon death. Whacking an enemy with the Soul Cube spawns a ton of ammo pickups.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:24 am

Ah okay. I misremembered Berserk-powered punches causing enemies to drop additional ammo, so I found myself struggling more than expected with my custom difficulty setting that reduces ammo pickups. I guess the replacement monsters are also already more resilient and the new weapons/firing modes more ammo-consuming than their vanilla counterparts.

Thanks!
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Hunting4r2d2 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for the help, I was able to finally get it working. I played about half-way through Doom II and wow, this easily the most fun I have ever had with a gameplay mod. So much so that I think I might wanna try making some maps of it. I'll probably start with a remake of Knee-Deep in the Dead to familiarize myself with some of the newer stuff. Been a while since I've used Doom Builder, and I've never released any maps publicly, but I feel like this mod just offers so much potential. Also, since I've never really used anything modded in doom builder, how do I access Meta Doom content (sorry if this is a dumb question). I'll probably post a more comprehensive review when I finish my run through Doom II.
Hunting4r2d2

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:49 pm

So what is a good strategy to deal with the Marauder? I get that I must hit him when he is doing his dash attack, but is there supposed to be a pattern or is it completely random?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:52 pm

in Doom Eternal, you had to be not too close (or he would shoot you with his shotgun) but not too far (or he would throw axe projectiles at you). That said, I don't know if its the same here. The strategy I use is just to keep backing up, but not too far. Let him throw axe projectiles since they're slow and don't hurt much, (at least when he was first added) and soon he'll charge in and start his dash attack.

But warning: I've only fought the first version of the Marauder. I've yet to fight one after the many updates.
mamaluigisbagel
"If I ever have kids, they're going to come out circle-strafing." ~Civvie 11

Discord: Nonemployee#1013
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Erh. I am glad that the mod comes with an option to disable Marauder spawning, because I just do not like fighting those at all.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Kinsie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:26 pm

The Marauder does his dash attack and exposes himself to damage if you're a very specific distance (between 168 to 240 units) away from him.
Kinsie
Dog Days

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods