MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (TESTERS WANTED!! p123)

Post by Kinsie »

Void Warrior wrote:Oh yes, Kinsie, please put the Axe and Chainsaw on Slot 1! This is very inconvenient! Seriously, many players are already used to having a Chainsaw in Slot 1. I know it reads like whining, but understand that it's really annoying. It's the same with Shotguns - it's better to put them in one slot. :grumpy: :shrug:
I understand, but with the alternate weapons you'd end up having four weapons on the "3" key, leaving you fumbling if you ever end up fighting Lost Souls or whatever. Unless you think I should move the Shotgun alternatives to the 8 key? 🤔

I just had a look into making classic weapon slots a CVar, but sadly the weapon slot variable seems to be read-only, meaning I can't change it in the game.
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

That is, how did I understand that there is no way to move the Holy Water Pistol and the Fire Extinguisher separately? Type move these guns to slot 8, and the shotguns to slot 3, just like in the original DOOM II. Just because there are hot keys to get a Holy Water Pistol and a Fire Extinguisher. Then what is the point of constantly pressing button 8 if there are "these" keys? Although strange, Lightning Gun, Gauss Gun and Plasma Rifle are in slot 6, but at least everything is logical there, since these guns use Energy Cells. 🤔

But I agree that using them against Lost Souls is extremely important, not to mention Arch-Vile's.
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

Kinsie wrote:
Void Warrior wrote:Oh yes, Kinsie, please put the Axe and Chainsaw on Slot 1! This is very inconvenient! Seriously, many players are already used to having a Chainsaw in Slot 1. I know it reads like whining, but understand that it's really annoying. It's the same with Shotguns - it's better to put them in one slot. :grumpy: :shrug:
I understand, but with the alternate weapons you'd end up having four weapons on the "3" key, leaving you fumbling if you ever end up fighting Lost Souls or whatever. Unless you think I should move the Shotgun alternatives to the 8 key? 🤔

I just had a look into making classic weapon slots a CVar, but sadly the weapon slot variable seems to be read-only, meaning I can't change it in the game.
That is, how did I understand that there is no way to move the Holy Water Pistol and the Fire Extinguisher separately? Type move these guns to slot 8, and the shotguns to slot 3, just like in the original DOOM II. Just because there are hot keys to get a Holy Water Pistol and a Fire Extinguisher. Then what is the point of constantly pressing button 8 if there are "these" keys? Although strange, Lightning Gun, Gauss Gun and Plasma Rifle are in slot 6, but at least everything is logical there, since these guns use Energy Cells. 🤔

But I agree that using them against Lost Souls is extremely important, not to mention Arch-Vile's.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

The HWP and Fire Extinguisher use the Shotgun and SSG weapon slots because they spawn in place of those weapons. That's the rule I've gone by for weapon slots for every other alternate weapon. Breaking that rule just for the shotguns seems more confusing than anything.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Void Warrior wrote:That is, how did I understand that there is no way to move the Holy Water Pistol and the Fire Extinguisher separately? Type move these guns to slot 8, and the shotguns to slot 3, just like in the original DOOM II. Just because there are hot keys to get a Holy Water Pistol and a Fire Extinguisher. Then what is the point of constantly pressing button 8 if there are "these" keys? Although strange, Lightning Gun, Gauss Gun and Plasma Rifle are in slot 6, but at least everything is logical there, since these guns use Energy Cells. 🤔
If worse comes to worst, you can always reassign the weapons yourself in SLADE.

Open metadoom.pk3, then metadoomplayer.zsc (in actors ­> player) and change the weapon slot definitions to look like this:
Player.WeaponSlot 1, "MetaAxe", "MetaChainsaw", "MetaBerserkFist", "MetaLastResortFist", "MetaCheatDetector";
Player.WeaponSlot 2, "MetaPistol";
Player.WeaponSlot 3, "MetaShotgun", "MetaSuperShotgun";
Player.WeaponSlot 4, "MetaChaingun", "MetaMachineGun";
Player.WeaponSlot 5, "MetaGrenadeLauncher", "MetaRocketLauncher";
Player.WeaponSlot 6, "MetaLightningGun", "MetaPlasmaRifle";
Player.WeaponSlot 7, "MetaGaussCannon", "MetaUnmaker";
Player.WeaponSlot 8, "MetaBFG9000";
Player.WeaponSlot 9, "MetaFireExtinguisher", "MetaHolyWaterPistol";
Player.WeaponSlot 0, "MetaSoulcube";
That is the configuration I made for myself on an older version of MetaDoom (I currently do not have the time to beta-test the latest one, sorry!), but I assume the scripting is pretty much the same.
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

Kinsie wrote:The HWP and Fire Extinguisher use the Shotgun and SSG weapon slots because they spawn in place of those weapons. That's the rule I've gone by for weapon slots for every other alternate weapon. Breaking that rule just for the shotguns seems more confusing than anything.
Okay. In principle, even then I began to get used to the new arrangement of the guns. I have seen other mods with a different layout and also got used to it over time. :)

The main thing is that your mod is still great: what then, what now. :thumb:
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

Alright I'm back, and I have a few nitpicks on the enemies mostly.

Under what circumstances do Infernises (Inferni?) spawn Demonic Troopers? The Summoner spawns Unwilling without a hitch, but the Infernis just acts like a reskinned Arch-Vile for me. The Titantula is a cool addition, although I feel their grenades could use a teensy bit of extra visibility. Perhaps a white smoke particle trail should do the job. Finally, the Marauder. He's cool, but I feel that it takes a long time for him to make himself vulnerable with his axe swing. Then again, I still haven't picked up Doom Eternal yet so how would I know that's just how they are in the source material? Either way, going 2004 on his ass with the SSG + Artifact + Soul Cube combo feels great. One more thing, will we be able to properly use the Dog Collar on Spirit Wolves soon? Because right now, it only deletes them on a direct hit.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Sgt. Ham wrote:Under what circumstances do Infernises (Inferni?) spawn Demonic Troopers? The Summoner spawns Unwilling without a hitch, but the Infernis just acts like a reskinned Arch-Vile for me.
The Infernis invokes his more unique behavior when he can't see you.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Download v7 - "Ghost"

(DEEP BREATH...)
Changelog wrote:Monster Changes:
  • Added 2 new monsters! (Titantula, Infernis)
  • Added the dreaded Marauders! You can disable or change their spawning behavior with the new CVar in the MetaDoom options menu.
  • Recreated Cacodemon sounds from original source materials (Thanks Decino!)
  • Spectres now have a unique set of sprites and different visual effect.
  • The Wretched's tongue and Former Assassin's tentacle have both undergone an assortment of changes:
    • They are both now far more, for lack of a better term, grappling-hook-y. (Thanks Jekyll Grim Payne!)
    • They will no longer be used if Potential Map Breakers is disabled.
    • They will now only be used if the player is within grabbing-range.
  • The Beholder has been heavily revamped to be more fun and interesting.
    • Added cool new sprites and sounds from Doom Eternal.
    • Forgotten Ones are now spawned in a row of sorts, and all launch straight into their charge attack.
    • Forgotten Ones will now die instantly once the Beholder that spawned them is killed, and are no longer spawned as part of a Beholder's death.
    • Fixed Forgotten Ones occasionally flickering when on the floor.
  • The Spider Mastermind will no longer use its telekinetic attack if its target is too far away to be reasonably affected by it.
  • Demon Dogs and Cerberuses are more likely to spawn, and will be added to the spawn list earlier on in a campaign than in previous versions.
  • Fixed Arch-Viles causing a VM abort if the player they were performing their magic attack on was gibbed before the explosion effect happened.
  • Former Lieutenants and Former Commandoes now have seperate sets of sounds.
  • Monsters stunned by the Lightning Gun's stun bomb will now visibly shake while affected instead of being frozen in the first frame of their pain state.
  • Altered the Hell Knight's walk animation to be less exaggerated.
  • Arachnotrons and Spiborgs now have proper OpenGL light defs for their attacks.
  • Fixed the Phantom's fire trail not spawning, and improved its palette swap.
  • Assorted minor audio updates.
Optional Content Changes:
  • Props will no longer be replaced by breakable MetaDoom versions if they've been replaced by DECORATE or ZScript actors using the "replaces" keyword. This fixes MAP02/MAP02B in Doom 64 in Doom 2, and possibly other Boom mapsets that include DECORATE alternatives for their DEHACKED actors.
  • Props will no longer be replaced if a DEHACKED lump changes frame names using DEHACKED's native string-changing method. This fixes Demonastery and possibly other Boom mapsets that do such things.
Weapon Changes:
  • Added the Meathook alt-fire to the Super Shotgun! (Thanks Jekyll Grim Payne!)
    • Only available when Potential Map-Breakers are enabled.
    • Has a 15 second cooldown between successful uses.
  • The Plasma Rifle has been heavily modified under the hood to use more modern, ZScript-era ways of doing things, like Overlays and such.
  • The Plasma Rifle now emits sound cues as its heat meter fills, giving you an audible indicator of how close you are to that heat blast in intense battles.
  • The Machinegun's micro-rockets now briefly stick in enemies and players before exploding, ala their original appearances in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal.
  • The Unmaker's pixel aspect ratio correction change from the previous release has been redone to use GZDoom 4.5.x's overlay scaling instead of TEXTURES.
  • The Soul Cube's animation has been completely redone using fancy overlay stuff as well as GZDoom 4.5.x's overlay rotation.
  • Weapons now play a quieter sound instead of replaying their select sound every time they re-raise after a melee attack.
  • Lots of other under-the-hood changes to simplify weapon code and provide minor aesthetic improvements, like movement interpolation and such.
  • Weapon spawners now pass on their TID to the weapon they spawn, just like the monster spawners started doing back in v1.2, waaay back in 2016. How did I forget to port this fix over!? Anyway, this fixes some secrets in Consolation Prize: Doom 64 and probably some other places too.
Item Changes:
  • Added 1 new Inventory item! (Flame Belch)
  • Added 3 new Lore Items...
  • Dramatically increased inventory item cooldown:
    • Hologram: 11 secs > 20 secs
    • Siphon Grenade & Tesla Rocket: 5 secs > 30 secs
    • The Artifact: 6 secs > 25 secs
    • Shield Wall: 9 secs > 15 secs
    • All Other Items: 2 secs > 12 secs
  • Picking up an inventory item that you already have (other than the Artifact) now instantly removes any remaining cooldown on that item.
  • Inventory items no longer cool down when their owner is dead.
  • Fixed Siphon Grenades not rewarding any health to their user if the affected monster was targeting something else (ie. if they were infighting or distracted by a Hologram item.)
  • Tesla Rocket damage has been nerfed, and bosses are now resistant to them.
  • Powerups now play audio cues to warn you when they're about to run out.
  • Key pickup sounds no longer get cut off by other pickup sounds.
Player Changes:
  • Fixed first-person death animations not functioning properly.
  • Fixed a VM abort when killed by Sector_SetDamage under certain circumstances, like the lava in TNT02 of The Ultimate Torment and Torture: Supportive Edition.
  • Fixed a bug where you would occasionally spawn splashes on liquid surfaces well underneigh you when in midair or flying while footsteps were enabled.
  • Players can no longer pick up the Health melee'd out of them in Deathmatch.
UI Changes:
  • Added CVar filtering to the Codex. In English, that means that Trites and Unique Bosses won't appear in the Codex if they've been disabled via CVar.
  • Fixed a multiplayer desync relating to filling out Codex pages.
  • Fixed various issues with the Intermission spawned by GZDoom updates.
  • The intermission's widescreen borders no longer appear when an actual widescreen intermission image (like in the 2020 Re-Release IWAD) is in use.
  • Fixed the "Demon Key Cheat" inventory item not displaying on the HUD.
  • Added per-ammotype icons to the ammo counter on the HUD.
  • Updated the descriptive text on the Skill Select menu to use the Tiny Font instead of a scaling-distorted Small Font.
  • Disabled the 100% Monster Kills toast triggering if the map had 0 monsters in it when it loaded. Mostly for my sanity when testing stuff.
  • Modified the Ironman game over sequence to no longer need to transition to a different map in order to highlight your painful and hilarious demise.
  • Fixed a minor mistake in the Ironman game over screen where dying to a Beholder would wrongly attribute your gristly, skull-centric demise to a Rahovart.
  • Updated the screenshot scroller on the title screen to have more uniformly-sized (and in some cases, better) shots and a random starting point so you're more likely to see different images.
  • The MetaDoom Options menu now appears in GZDoom 4.5.x's Simple Options Menu, not just the Full Options Menu.
  • Updated the Credits and Help screen artwork to be widescreen-friendly.
  • Updated the logo artwork to incorporate Doom 64 and reduce messiness.
Mapping Changes:
  • Added Meathook Grapple Targets!
Other Changes:
  • Explosive Barrels now handle being crushed differently, using the same oldschool timing as being detonated by another barrel, as well as not spawning debris if nobody's looking. This fixes Sunlust MAP30's engine-killing lag at startup as it prepares the revival trick for later in the map.
  • Ultra-Nightmare mode is now supported in Co-Op mode! If a player dies, they'll have to wait for a teammate to finish the level before they respawn. If there's a total party wipe, it's Game Over!
  • Added the "fake" stand-in items for Consolation Prize: Doom 64.
  • HUD Mugshot and Player Sounds now correctly handle the "Object" gender option.
  • Fixed ANIMDEFS/TERRAIN warnings in console on startup when playing Doom 1.
  • Fixed various rendering issues with blood splat effects.
  • Fixed blood splats checking for Juvenile Power Fantasy's performance CVars instead of MetaDoom's, because copy-pasting is hard.
  • Set Clean scaling for main and episode select menus, for consistency with the difficulty select menu in GZDoom 4.5.x.
  • Absolutely did not add any secret skill settings.
  • Updated the Title music to a higher bitrate version.
  • Removed the IDKFA Intermission music. Intermission themes are a mapset's job!
KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Grappling Hooks do not currently behave properly around interactive line portals. Static Eternity-style line portals and Floor/Ceiling sector portals work fine.
Last edited by Kinsie on Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: MetaDoom v7 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p124)

Post by Yebudoom »

This looks massive, thank you! Can't wait to try it. The new Doom games are obviously influencing the modding community more and more.

The trailer is awesome, btw.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Sweet! I think I could use a break from Quake Champions: Doom Edition right about now. :wink:
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Yay no more inventory spam! :D
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Brilliant, this is going to be the best MetaDoom update yet!
If I play both MetaDoom and Reelism 2 at the same time, it could be the best Kinsie Doom mod experience yet!
Hunting4r2d2

Post by Hunting4r2d2 »

Hey, so I've been trying to run this gameplay mod, but every time I open it in GZDoom, it just plays the vanilla game. Do you know what I may be doing wrong?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hunting4r2d2 wrote:Hey, so I've been trying to run this gameplay mod, but every time I open it in GZDoom, it just plays the vanilla game. Do you know what I may be doing wrong?
Extract the .7z file using 7-zip, then drag the resulting PK3 onto gzdoom.exe.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”