MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p127)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Postby whatup876 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:07 pm

I am somewhat curious about your plans for the Marauder, because he seems specifically crafted for the new Doom games, even if this mod has its fair share of changes and reinterpretations.

I know he can't work as a Baron rep because that one was already buffed and they're usually slow.
Maybe a Revenant rep means keeping a bit of the speed, turning the axe projectile into a homing one and treat the SSG as a melee? (but that wouldn't be hitscan anymore)

I recall the Gladiator's shield (second phase) "reflecting" attacks by shooting projectiles as reaction of it getting hit, so that could be borrowed for the Marauder, if his shield is in fact only in front of him and not an Hexen invincibility state. (like the player's wall shield inventory item but attached to an enemy, whether or not you'd also replicate the energy/plasma exploit)
Maybe he could summon Hellhounds and drop an SSG as a weapon too.

Maybe instead of being invulnerable all the time with a chance of being shootable, he could be the opposite, no?

A crazier idea would be if the Summoner or Infernis were to summon a Marauder, as a "replacement" for a dead high tier enemy (like Revenant) and treat the Marauder as a vague replacement of the Rev.
And even use that thing from Eternal's Archvile summoning process: You see an orange Marauder being "built", but if you attack his summoner, he vanishes because you stopped the process.
Although, Marauders also usually come in red portals. (this would all be feedback related)

He'd probably make a bit more sense as a level/map-only feature but that would be unfun and not do any justice.
As far as enemy goes, i feel like the Marauder and maybe Carcass are the more interesting ones.

Either way, if the Marauder and Sentinel Hammer do get added, i wonder what the trailer could be for this update.
whatup876

Postby Kinsie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:05 am

I don't want to delve into my Marauder plans at the moment, because I dunno if I'll get around to executing on them, but he won't replace anything, be some Arch-Vile summon, or be custom-map-only. I have a funky mechanic planned that will almost certainly be able to be turned off or customized with a CVar for people who don't want to deal with him.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby whatup876 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:22 pm

With the inclusion of the Marauder, i recall he had some unused lines in Eternal.
Maybe those could be used, as another talking enemy after the Former Assassins.

The Infernis Diabolist attack appearing, when he's not seeing you seems like an interesting twist.
It being explosive could mean you can use it against other enemies if you're lucky and strategic enough.
And the fact that (like the traditional Arch fire attack) that he's still "locked" in it but without the flames being on the player means you can have an easy opportunity to fight back.

I do wonder if the Demonic Troopers' spawning has a limit, like the Unwilling.
Specially if Infernis shows up in a map like Plutonia's Hunted.

edit: also, if the player somehow kills the Marauder, would the Marauder drop pick ups as reward?
I also wonder if the (as in IF) hammer could also help the player take him down a bit, even if done differently from TAG2.
whatup876

Postby Kinsie » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am

The boys are coming. Give the dev build a poke to see them for yourself. 🪓
Kinsie
Dog Days

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (🪓 p123)

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:00 pm

well, I actually fought one, and I'm happy with how they were implemented, though maybe easier...but that may be a good thing for some people xD

The only gripe I have about the dev build so far, which has probably been mentioned before, is the self-damage on the Flame Belch. I'm glad it still gives you armor, but I try to avoid the flames where they drop so I don't get hurt. I could wait for the flames to end, but almost everytime the flames fade, the armor pickups fade away at the same time. More of a nitpick as I can still get some armor out of it.

EDIT: After fighting a couple more (about 8) I'm starting to think they may be a bit too easy for me, but its not like you can perfectly recreate them. Basically, I find them easy, but if you think they're just right, let it stay that way.
mamaluigisbagel
This profile is brought to you by spam......and memes.

Discord: Nonemployee#1013
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby comet1337 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:38 am

the axe yields infinite health from the axe man
his shield got stuck in a wall once (just visual), and it could be a lot closer to him
he has a tendency (with fastmonsters on anyway) to get stuck in a melee loop near corners, very easy to cheese
perhaps a fastprojectile equal to his size, with +stepmissile to check if there is a clear shot or not
dudes also kinda easy for not a whole lot of effort. 3 ssg shots, or 3 gauss shots, and the gauss shots can kill him in one stun. even the normal shotgun can get a follow-up shot in after the stun and take him down in 3 cycles
comet1337

Postby Kinsie » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I've made them a bit less willing to get caught on solid objects, removed the Axe's ironic effectiveness, and tried making them a bit harder.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:37 am

also will add it is a bit amusing and useful when his eyes flash and an enemy accidentally hits him, stunning him so I can hit him xD dunno if thats intentional or even fixable.

But I'll give it another run. It did seem in my run through Doom 64 for Doom 2 that there were a LOT of Marauders, but they weren't too much of an issue unless paired with other monsters.
mamaluigisbagel

Postby Kinsie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:01 am

I've made a few adjustments to our new friends over the last couple of days. They're now faster, harder, a little smarter, and more capable of navigating terrain. I'm still not 100% happy with them, though, as their wall-detection typically prevents them from engaging the player in narrow corridors like the start of Plutonia MAP01, but they're quite a ways scarier than they were previously. Any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Kinsie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:36 am

Okay, it's been a long time since I've said this... I think I'm close to a release?

If you're willing to expose yourself to potential bugs/inbalances/galactic-scale implosions, I'd greatly appreciate it if you tried the devbuild and let me know if anything goes wrong!

Last edited by Kinsie on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (TESTERS WANTED!! p123)

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:47 am

I'll give it a run. I haven't played it as much after my previous run (which tbh is a miracle I finished due to my short attention span) but I can try it again and try to break anything I can :P
mamaluigisbagel

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Kinsie wrote:

... What is the Spider Mastermind doing in the background? Is it doing a high-five? :woh:
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Void Warrior » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Hello, Kinsie! I really liked your MetaDoom and I will say that this is one of the best mods for DOOM. And I'm glad you decided to add new content again. :D

I just tested the test version and spent a very long time testing weapons, monsters, and items. Smooth weapon optimization, new opponents are well transferred to the classic DOOM (even from the same stats). Spirit Wolfs it's a shame that green is not red (or orange, it's hard to say) according to the canon, but it looks like you had no choice, since Cerberus is also red. There would be more confusion. I think that the Flamethrower should be put on a separate button, and then you do not want to wander around the inventory once again (At least on the R button, as in Eternal.). The same goes for the SuperShotgun Hook. Honestly, he's bad. And okay cooldown 10 seconds, as in Eternal was the same, but as an alternative attack just unnecessary. Now, if you add the ability to set enemies on fire with a hook, it would be more useful, but I think it will only make it easier to pass on UV. Otherwise, everything is fine. You can even say that the release is already pulling.

Oh yes, Kinsie, please put the Axe and Chainsaw on Slot 1! This is very inconvenient! Seriously, many players are already used to having a Chainsaw in Slot 1. I know it reads like whining, but understand that it's really annoying. It's the same with Shotguns - it's better to put them in one slot. :grumpy: :shrug:

This is my opinion about the new test version. :thumb: :geek:
Void Warrior

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:49 pm

I've been having a couple of CTD's when playing the Meta Doom dev build. Is it possible to give any useful information when the game CTD's rather than normal in-game crashing? (I know there's a "Save Report to Disk" option given but not sure if that'll help. Also now that I think about it, I'm curious if this is a GZDoom crash rather than a Meta Doom crash.)
mamaluigisbagel

Postby Sgt. Ham » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:46 pm

I've only been up to Map03 of Memento Mori II, but I'd like to say I like the touch of making the 2016/Eternal Pinky replace the Spectre. However, I feel like their walking animation from the front is a bit stiff compared to the Pinky's. Perhaps having their heads bob a bit more would make it more lively. Also, maybe some unique sounds for them would be nice, considering they're now technically a different type of Pinky?

And one more thing, a bug I probably should've mentioned about a year ago, is that if a map has custom Keycard sprites (Fragport replacing yellow keys with green keys for example), then the keycard ends up being completely invisible when playing with Metadoom.

I might come back with more stuff once I actually finish MM2, but this is all so far. Looking forward to v7!
Sgt. Ham

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods