MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
whatup876

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Post by whatup876 »

Hellknight's sprites were made when a better alternative wasn't there but the D4V/T "classic" sprite version doesn't have some frames to fit the jump and slam attack.
The Beholder seems replaced now, which is neat and keeping the green is great for both DRPG representation and color variation.
But i think a mishmash of art styles is also expecting, not just because of the present/potential resources but even the idea of the mod alone.

Depending on how long the update takes, images of Doom Eternal's DLC 2 has been leaked.
Spoilers aside, 15 of March will have an official teaser.

The Carcass may never get in but i thought of a weird way to make his shield work:
* It's mixed with the "floor projectile" attack he has (that is also for the Whiplash and Tyrant) so when the projectile is either close enough to the player or in a certain distance/time, it turns into a shield wall.
* Time of wall transformation and projectile speed could need tweaking
* The floor projectile could home/chase the player a bit, as if the Carcass was piloting it
* This also means the Carcass could be frozen/busy when using this ability, as if he was busy controlling the floor projectile that soon turns into a wall
* The player can cancel the wall shield by shooting the Carcass in this state
* Any weapon can destroy the wall shield but cell energy weapons (and some others like Tesla rocket or BFG) can destroy it faster and make it explode (only damaging enemies)
* Gauss cannon could destroy it instantly
* How much time the shield stays present is another factor
* It would also have to happen in more open spaces
* The actual shape of the wall could be considered too, if it's not similar to the player's own wall shield
Meanwhile, it's main attack could be the ring projectile barrage, which means the Carcass could fit as a slot for the Arachnotron, but with a bit less health than the typical Arachnotron.
Or maybe, we could wait and see how Kar En Tuk does him too.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

An earlier version of this video Did Numbers, so I should probably link it here: A new (in every sense of the word) toy for level designers!
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Given how the 21:9 aspect ratio is becoming more than a novelty, will the Fire Axe sprites be redone to take advantage of the increased screen width? As-is, the attack sprites get cut off at the 16:9 "borders", leaving awkward blank spaces at anything wider.
snarkel

Post by snarkel »

I've been playing through this a lot recently after not having played it for a while and first I just want to say this still probably remains one of my favorite gameplay mods when I just want to pick up and play doom. I've been following your updates and checking the github frequently and am excited for the next update you are working on.

With how much I've been playing recently I wish there was feedback I could provide that you haven't already heard, but most things work well and seem pretty balanced. I've only noticed a bug with a majority of powerups not getting their codex entries even after picking them up and using them. I'm not sure if that's just on my end or not. Otherwise I only have a nitpick with the Chaingun feeling a bit weak? It could just be me but I feel like compared to the the Machinegun and even the Plasma Rifle the Chaingun just doesn't feel like it has enough damage per shot to justify how much ammo it takes.

I also saw discussion of Spirits maybe being a mapping thing and it got me wondering. While I'm not entirely sure if they add it themselves, get permissions from creators, or if other people add it themselves, I know ObAddon has a few extras for spawning gameplay mod items into maps, like QCDE's loot boxes, D4T's actors, and Hideous Destructor cover walls. Perhaps you could maybe add it in (and potentially other items) to potentially be included in that?

Aside from all of that, everything is fine and dandy and I wish you the best of luck on future MetaDoom and non-MetaDoom ventures!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

From the Github version i played:
* The flame belch can hurt both the player and demons; now that's new but when you move to the next levels, the flames stay on for a bit. (which i guess makes sense and forces players to make more use of the FE)
* The flames also can't stay on water, again, attention to detail expected from a Kinsie mod. that's great
* The Titantula's second phase means you have to "kill it twice", so it can even survive a quad damage Soulcube. not sure if you can code specific damage numbers to literally kill it, even before the grenade phase.
* That one e3m3 remix from the intermission by Hulshult is gone, but it's probably just a matter of taste or something to do with wads having their own intermission songs.
* Phantoms no longer have green flames on them.

I wonder if you plan for the Infernis to soon have Eternal model sprites but red, like the Beholder.
I've also yet to actually encounter the Demonic Troopers. (who right now are the Acolyte from Strife)
How do they spawn exactly?

Not sure what is there to take from Eternal's TAG 2 because i thought the Cursed Prowler's poison mechanic was actually new (and fitting with the basic enemy abilities you'd get from your typical mod), even if you have to tweak it a bit, so it's timed and there's no restriction on how you kill whatever beast shoots the "curse" to the player.
Even then, i always thought Gargoyles could have had a poison/acid attack instead of the teleporting and sometimes-3-fireball-shooting Prowlers, already represented by the Imp Lords before Eternal was even announced.
Another problem with Eternal could be how updates handle the game's content and the fact that you can't normally get the Doomicorn skin anymore.

Besides Spirits, there's also Screechers.
I also wonder if you're even interested in adding the Marauder at all, because besides the potentially incompatible gameplay, this move hasn't acknowledge the lore of the Sentinel. (but recently,they just said the Dark Lord is not the real main entity or whatever, so what the fuck is lore anymore, right?)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:I wonder if you plan for the Infernis to soon have Eternal model sprites but red, like the Beholder.
I've also yet to actually encounter the Demonic Troopers. (who right now are the Acolyte from Strife)
How do they spawn exactly?
The Infernis will get its own sprites soon, I wanted to get the gameplay down first. They spawn Demonic Troopers if you leave them alone.
whatup876 wrote:I also wonder if you're even interested in adding the Marauder at all
I have some ideas on how to handle the Marauder...
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Oh, I was wondering about Demonic Troopers. I thought they could accompany the Icon of Sin with their own Unmaker and whatever Demon Keys the player missed, but that'd probably be too frustrating.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I'm not adding an Eternal-style Icon to MetaDoom because giant monsters in the Doom engine universally suck - especially when they're sprites - and I'm probably not going to touch the BossBrain setup because I don't feel like breaking a million Boom mapsets any further than I already have.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I made that post before seeing that the troopers (or at least their sprites) had already been implemented in the current build. I thought there might have been a way to have a traditional Icon spawn some specific monsters first before getting to the random ones, but I'm not sure why I'm saying all this to someone with a much better understanding of balance/what's practical to implement/what they want.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

If the Infernis/Eternal vile sprites are painted red (because of Doom RPG), i wonder if you've thought of Battlemode skins as reference.
Like this one for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA3wk0-V4ss even though these are usually time based, i think there could be a model somewhere.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I have a suggestion. The ability to switch alt-fires on weapons. The shotgun could get a auto mod, the smg a scope, etc. Also, how about recoloring the gauss cannon to also resemble the ballista. Lastly, maybe add the crucible or doom hammer.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Bobby wrote:I have a suggestion. The ability to switch alt-fires on weapons. The shotgun could get a auto mod, the smg a scope, etc.
Not happening, sorry.
Bobby wrote:Also, how about recoloring the gauss cannon to also resemble the ballista.
Not planned, but I might make some sprite adjustments to it at some point to incorporate Ballista Bits.
Bobby wrote:Lastly, maybe add the crucible or doom hammer.
Crucible probably won't happen because I can't think of a good way to shoehorn in the ammo mechanic. The hammer has a good chance of happening, though!
Miru

Post by Miru »

Kinsie wrote:Crucible probably won't happen because I can't think of a good way to shoehorn in the ammo mechanic. The hammer has a good chance of happening, though!
Darn... Well, at least we're likely getting the blunt melee weapon this mod needs for more variety.
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Found some bugs in the latest devbuild.

1) If you die from your own Flame Belch, the obituary erroneously states that you "did a backflip into the lava".

2) Dying at the exact tic that a gadget is finished recharging (yellow screen flash, first beep) will cause the ready sound/screenflash to play rapidly and indefinitely.

3) Lines 128, 145, and 252 within Metahud.ZSC (regarding drawing the shells for the Ammo Bar), may cause a VM abort at random, trying to read from "address zero". Experienced in Doom 64: Retribution (Consolation Prize Version), Outpost Omega, seemingly while rapidly Berserk-punching enemies.
Attachments
The VM abort in question.
The VM abort in question.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Thanks for the heads up, I think I've addressed all of these to some extent.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”