MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Postby Kinsie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:37 am

Finder153 wrote:
whatup876 wrote:Besides the female enemies, i also remember when RTCW or even 2009 nazis had english lines (with a german accent) so that could create a bit more of a distinction between those and the Wolf RPG guy.

Maybe use the English lines for the RPG soldier and swap the German lines he currently uses for the RTCW ones?

Wolfenstein RPG (and as such, the monster based off of it) uses the RTCW audio.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby whatup876 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:38 am

I remember thinking about a FreeDoom guy doll but a dumber idea i had was a doll for the Canned Cain guy from Serious Sam, as a nod to the cancelled Doom 4 and when CroTeam was working on it.
Probably because it'd be "out of bounds" in the mod.

I'm not sure if you're interested in the Spirit or any "buff" anything from Eternal but this video by Ghastly shows a Spirit being recreated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKZRh9ka4s
whatup876

Postby Kinsie » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 am

I haven't really started on Eternal-themed monster stuff, but I highly, highly doubt the Spirit will be added to MetaDoom. If I do implement it, it'll likely only be for custom maps.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby austen1000 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 pm

Whenever I play this mod, my favorite setup for a playthrough is a complete wadsmoosh (including SIGIL and Xbox Secret Levels) plus that "autoload" edition of Doom 64 for Doom 2 that was released a while back on these forums and a custom modification of the Universal Automatic Continuation mod to support this setup (and accompanying edits to the wadsmoosh iwad to disable pistol starts on The Master Levels, as unpurist and unbalance as that is), allowing for one long run of every official Doom release, SIGIL, and a version of Doom 64's levels. The furthest I've gotten before updates was the first levels of Doom II, including the Xbox secret. I plan on restarting once the new update comes out, since it has been some time since I last played.

To contribute something practical to the discussion, I do wonder if the existing Doom 64 for Doom 2 compatiability fixes from MetaDoom's previous releases apply to any degree to the autoload edition. The autoload edition changes things to facilitate compatiability and being loaded as an episode in the menus rather than its own thing, including renaming its maps and renaming textures to avoid conflicts. I imagine most of the fixes might not be as necessary with that version of Doom 64 for Doom 2.
austen1000

Postby Kinsie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:06 am

austen1000 wrote:To contribute something practical to the discussion, I do wonder if the existing Doom 64 for Doom 2 compatiability fixes from MetaDoom's previous releases apply to any degree to the autoload edition. The autoload edition changes things to facilitate compatiability and being loaded as an episode in the menus rather than its own thing, including renaming its maps and renaming textures to avoid conflicts. I imagine most of the fixes might not be as necessary with that version of Doom 64 for Doom 2.
The compatibility fixes in previous releases relate to spawning appropriate MetaDoom monsters in place of Doom 64 for Doom 2's custom monsters. So, for example, D64D2's Nightmare Imps get replaced with MetaDoom's. I'm not sure how the autoload version handles those monsters (do they delete the DEHACKED and just use the DECORATE definitions?) so I can't answer that question definitively, but it should be fine?

The developer build (and as a result, the next release) adds all sorts of other compatibility fixes to better co-operate with Boom mapsets. One of those fixes to stop replacing monsters that have already been replaced by DECORATE or ZScript actors using the "replaces" keyword, fixing a nasty issue where Doom 64 in Doom 2's MAP02/MAP02B failed to work properly (the "randomly chosen key tunnel" puzzle wouldn't start). This might also fix other mapsets.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby austen1000 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:16 am

Kinsie wrote:The compatibility fixes in previous releases relate to spawning appropriate MetaDoom monsters in place of Doom 64 for Doom 2's custom monsters. So, for example, D64D2's Nightmare Imps get replaced with MetaDoom's. I'm not sure how the autoload version handles those monsters (do they delete the DEHACKED and just use the DECORATE definitions?) so I can't answer that question definitively, but it should be fine?

Reading the changelog on the autoload editions thread, the Dehacked lump was indeed replaced with Decorate definitions.
austen1000

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods