MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Postby Kinsie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:42 am

Finder153 wrote:So I took a look at the language file and what I found was a bunch of obituaries for non-existent variants of the Schutzstaffel. Interesting...

Looks like the Nazi guys were actually going to be expanded further, not just limited to 2D games anymore...

Good eye. Not sure if the RTCW one will happen anymore since the Wolf RPG enemy uses the same audio. The blocker on the other two is assets. I've made multiple attempts at turning one of the actors from the MacWolf-but-with-all-the-frames project into a Wolfenstein 2009 Revenant, but it's hard to find a way to accomplish that in a way that wouldn't take literally more time and effort than most of the non-easter-egg monsters took. Conversely, the New Order monster (one of the armored masked dudes from the TNO cover) can just be a quick-n-dirty model render, but grabbing the audio will be a nightmare and a half since I don't think there's a way to get Id Tech 5 sounds with coherent filenames like there is with 6 and 7. (If there is, scream it at me from your nearest rooftop!)
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Gez » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 am

There's also the reskinned SS from the Spear of Destiny mission packs.
Gez

Postby whatup876 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Besides the female enemies, i also remember when RTCW or even 2009 nazis had english lines (with a german accent) so that could create a bit more of a distinction between those and the Wolf RPG guy.

Can't really see the point of the 2016 cut nailgun too.

I always theorized that the only way a proper "big" Icon of Sin/Titan could have worked was with some low poly/low res textured 3d model in some dedicated GZDoom map, but even GZDoom has its own troubles with 3D models.
There's still some enemies to take from Eternal for the mod, i guess, even with what may or may not fit in the overall mod. (and whether or not Eternal in itself has enough to offer, because i always thought the new Doom's may have some limits with how they design new enemies due to that "Doom dance" formula)
whatup876

Postby James Flasch » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes. Sunlust.wad does not play well with MetaDoom for some reason. Some levels are prone to very slow framerates, especially MAP30, which is reeeeeeeally slow right from the get-go (a couple of frames per second). I know the issue is with MetaDoom, because Sunlust plays just fine in GZDoom without it. Also, the problem occurs with both GL and Vulkan rendering. Any ideas?
James Flasch

Postby Kinsie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:01 pm

James Flasch wrote:Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes. Sunlust.wad does not play well with MetaDoom for some reason. Some levels are prone to very slow framerates, especially MAP30, which is reeeeeeeally slow right from the get-go (a couple of frames per second). I know the issue is with MetaDoom, because Sunlust plays just fine in GZDoom without it. Also, the problem occurs with both GL and Vulkan rendering. Any ideas?
Fixed, thanks for reporting.

For those who are curious, a lot of explosive barrels get crushed off-camera for some unknown purpose at the start of Sunlust MAP30, causing vast amounts of lag from them all spawning their debris and nukage splashes. This is now handled differently, so as to not spawn such things if you're not looking.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Gez » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 am

Kinsie wrote:For those who are curious, a lot of explosive barrels get crushed off-camera for some unknown purpose at the start of Sunlust MAP30

Usually this is done to create a lot of monster corpses that arch-viles can then raise.

And when you start Sunlust MAP30, if you have the kill counter enabled on your HUD or minimap, you can see it quickly rise to 117 right at the start of the map.
Gez

Postby James Flasch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Yeah - I noticed that.
James Flasch

Postby Finder153 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:48 pm

Hey, just another thing I forgot to tell about:

The machine gun in Metadoom is inconsistently named "Assault Rifle" in the codex entry whereas the weapon is still called a machine gun in the pickup message and the nametag.
Finder153
Nuclear radiation is the least of my worries.

Discord: Panzermann11#6473
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby TheNightATK300 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Gez wrote:
Kinsie wrote:For those who are curious, a lot of explosive barrels get crushed off-camera for some unknown purpose at the start of Sunlust MAP30

Usually this is done to create a lot of monster corpses that arch-viles can then raise.

And when you start Sunlust MAP30, if you have the kill counter enabled on your HUD or minimap, you can see it quickly rise to 117 right at the start of the map.

I think it's because of the map's design later to have enemies revive upon reaching a specific spot, which they will be resurrected by modified Commander Keens which resurrects the dead enemies. It doesn't really have anything to do with the mod, unless if you somehow replace those 'keens.
TheNightATK300
Teh person.

Discord: XSlayer300#2323

Postby karry299 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 am

I noticed from the videos of earlier versions of this mod, that there used to be an actual inventory system, not this cooldown nonsense. Is there a setting to change it back ? Because i couldnt find one.

BTW, kudos for having an in-game menu system that actually uses mouse wheel to scroll a list. I think this is the first time i've seen it in Doom mods. Nobody else seems to know how to do it.
karry299

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:52 am

Well every item had a shared number, even then, no cool down so it was possible to spam 25 tesla grenades just to kill a boss.
While I do not mind the cooldown, at least by the next update it will be longer so it will be as less spammable.
Starman the Blaziken

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:00 pm

I'd want them potent still. I guess adding some kind of attack-limiting script to the tesla grenade projectile would do the trick. Like, if you throw more than 5, the other projectiles won't attack the enemy until the 5 are gone.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Miru » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:07 pm

karry299 wrote:I noticed from the videos of earlier versions of this mod, that there used to be an actual inventory system, not this cooldown nonsense. Is there a setting to change it back ? Because i couldnt find one.

BTW, kudos for having an in-game menu system that actually uses mouse wheel to scroll a list. I think this is the first time i've seen it in Doom mods. Nobody else seems to know how to do it.

I think it would work if some items like the Artifact had a cooldown, while others, like the grenades, have an inventory system with limited ammo. This would feel more like the uniqueness of these items in canon.
Miru

Postby karry299 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:47 pm

> it was possible to spam 25 tesla grenades just to kill a boss.

You dont need 25 tesla rockets spam. Just 2 or 3 basically trivializes any encounter short of Plutonia-level BS. So like, i have it, why not use it ? But if i use it - i might as well just use cheats. Almost the same thing. Tesla rockets are OP, and not in a fun way.
karry299

Postby Finder153 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:31 am

whatup876 wrote:Besides the female enemies, i also remember when RTCW or even 2009 nazis had english lines (with a german accent) so that could create a bit more of a distinction between those and the Wolf RPG guy.

For the RPG soldiers, you could use English lines and use RTCW's player death noise for when they die. That way, you could swap the German lines for the RTCW soldiers.
Last edited by Finder153 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finder153
Nuclear radiation is the least of my worries.

Discord: Panzermann11#6473
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods