MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (UPDATED!! p115)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby Kinsie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:34 am

Grizzly wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the pistol doesn't trigger the switches in Sigil.
Yeah those walls seem to be set up to only be triggered by hitscans, not projectiles. I remember trying to figure out ways to work around that, but they were all real hacky messes that didn't work in the real world. If I can find a better way, I'll implement it, but for now you'll just have to use the endless deluge of shotguns within SIGIL's walls.

EDIT: I think I found a work-around in the development build. I haven't tested it too intensely, but it seems to work in SIGIL E5M1. I'll test it more thoroughly tomorrow.
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby Kinsie » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:59 am

Here's some stuff from the last day or so that doesn't demo so good (ie. they don't make for interesting videos or screenshots!):

  • Pistol shots now activate hitscan-activate lines. This is a fairly gross hack all things considered, but it doesn't seem to have completely ruined everything yet.
  • The Hell Guards were made a little more interesting to fight, and a bit harder. This is perhaps kind of a lost cause considering that the area they're designed for (the twin-Spiderdemon room on MAP27) has not one, but TWO invulnerability powerups, but hell, I might as well at least make it interesting to painlessly slaughter them.
  • The method used to spawn inventory items and treasure items was completely rewritten. Then rewritten again. And again. Roughly five rewrites later, it now works (and looks) way less jankily than the old method and it tries to avoid dunking your much-needed Siphon Grenades in a damaging sector!
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby amdcrash » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:41 am

Kinsie wrote:Here's some stuff from the last day or so that doesn't demo so good (ie. they don't make for interesting videos or screenshots!):

  • Pistol shots now activate hitscan-activate lines. This is a fairly gross hack all things considered, but it doesn't seem to have completely ruined everything yet.
  • The Hell Guards were made a little more interesting to fight, and a bit harder. This is perhaps kind of a lost cause considering that the area they're designed for (the twin-Spiderdemon room on MAP27) has not one, but TWO invulnerability powerups, but hell, I might as well at least make it interesting to painlessly slaughter them.
  • The method used to spawn inventory items and treasure items was completely rewritten. Then rewritten again. And again. Roughly five rewrites later, it now works (and looks) way less jankily than the old method and it tries to avoid dunking your much-needed Siphon Grenades in a damaging sector!



one of my favorite mods for doom, love the secret cheats as well. if you are stuck for ideas for your next mod, I would love a classic doom which recreates all the source ports and their quirks like SNES doom's floor rendering, the 3DO's framerate or the 32X's awful music.

please don't feel forced, finish metadoom first, after all, as they say, a delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad. (or mod in this case! :D)
amdcrash
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2019

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby Kinsie » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:46 am

amdcrash wrote:I would love a classic doom which recreates all the source ports and their quirks like SNES doom's floor rendering
Someone hasn't typed "impulse 16" into the console...
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby amdcrash » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:15 am

Kinsie wrote:
amdcrash wrote:I would love a classic doom which recreates all the source ports and their quirks like SNES doom's floor rendering
Someone hasn't typed "impulse 16" into the console...

i know the impulse 16 cheat :D

what i meant was a recreation of all of the doom console editions like the GBA port, the SNES port, the 32X (shudders) port, the 3DO port etc.
amdcrash
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2019

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby whatup876 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Noticing the lore items, do you think one of the Reaper miniatures sounds like a good pick?
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Reaper_Miniatures

edit: was thinking if FreeDoom could have had a cameo too.
whatup876
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2017

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby Kinsie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 am

If anyone's feeling sufficiently brave to mess around with the developer build, I've made some massive changes to the mod code this week, completely rewriting the Axe bleeding and Holy Water scaring code using what I've learned from Deathmatch Simulator, making the effects much more uniform across all monsters and extensively reducing the amount of copy-pasting across individual monsters. (Basically this DECORATE-ass codebase is a bit less DECORATE-ass now.)

While everything SEEMS to be working, with the sheer amount of monsters in this mod (and all the copy-pasted garbage I've deleted from most of them) it's entirely likely I've missed a spot and something's gone all fucky. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone were willing to kick around the developer build and find any issues now, as opposed to the day after a major release. Thanks in advance!
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Back At It p111)

Postby snarkel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Kinsie wrote:If anyone's feeling sufficiently brave to mess around with the developer build, I've made some massive changes to the mod code this week, completely rewriting the Axe bleeding and Holy Water scaring code using what I've learned from Deathmatch Simulator, making the effects much more uniform across all monsters and extensively reducing the amount of copy-pasting across individual monsters. (Basically this DECORATE-ass codebase is a bit less DECORATE-ass now.)

While everything SEEMS to be working, with the sheer amount of monsters in this mod (and all the copy-pasted garbage I've deleted from most of them) it's entirely likely I've missed a spot and something's gone all fucky. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone were willing to kick around the developer build and find any issues now, as opposed to the day after a major release. Thanks in advance!


I'll play through it a bit and if i find anything i'll drop it here unless you have any other spots you might want it dropped.
User avatar
snarkel
 
Joined: 07 Aug 2014

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby whatup876 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 am

I almost forgot but i just thought of the toy guns used for the weapon sprites.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Artwork_of_Doom#Weapons
I'm sorry and i hope i stop with these suggestions when there's more important stuff.
whatup876
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2017

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby snarkel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:23 pm

After doing a small playthrough of Nerve.wad with the newest devbuild i can say that i personally ran into no crazy issues. Only thing i really noticed is the Spider Mastermind's display on the codex is a little screwy, but thats such a tiny thing.
User avatar
snarkel
 
Joined: 07 Aug 2014

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby Kinsie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:15 pm

snarkel wrote:Only thing i really noticed is the Spider Mastermind's display on the codex is a little screwy, but thats such a tiny thing.
Literally just applied a fix for this from DrPySpy! :D

Getting the impression that things are fairly stable right now, so I'll go back to messing around with things.
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:47 am

Even after all this time, I still find myself prioritizing Hell Razers, though not for the reasons one would usually expect. Though I've been using LZDoom lately, I still find my framerate downright crippled whenever they use their beam attack; the initial red laser sight is fine, though the optimization of this attack still needs work.

Also, exploding barrel "gibs" are unaffected by the performance settings, as is the blood flying out of freshly-made actual gibs.

Currently running LZDoom (v3.84, latest version) with the current devbuild of MetaDoom.
ShockwaveS08
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby Kinsie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm continuing to work away on the alternative bosses. Meet an old friend before he needed the prosphetics (and before I nerf him into the fucking dirt upon waking up in the morning and realising what horrors I've spawned)

I've also made some monsters fractionally more aware of their environments - Barons and Hell Knights will now avoid doing their jump slam if they think doing so will plunge them onto a damage sector, and Imp Lords will try and avoid teleporting above a damage sector. Nevermind that they aren't affected by them, they just don't want to fall out of the map and not be able to kill you! Similarly, Cyberdemons will try and avoid doing their charge attack if they don't see a clear path to take without any walls or drops, which should prevent them from blindly charging into a wall when they're in a turret-style setup.

I plan on putting out a v6 release sometime next month, preferably early on, definitely before Eternal comes out.
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby whatup876 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Kinsie wrote:definitely before Eternal comes out.

Are you planning on a bit of Eternal representation before or after that game's release?
Because after watching multiple videos (including one or two that were eventually taken down due to showing NDA breaking stuff) a lot didn't seem to have changed as far as gameplay goes.
And in two days or so, IGN will reveal even more of it.

edit: something off about the Harbinger's animation in the codex is how it starts with a frozen frame before it actually animates to his walking sprites and the same applies to Cyberdemon too.
whatup876
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2017

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Postby Kinsie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 pm

whatup876 wrote:Are you planning on a bit of Eternal representation before or after that game's release?

*taps sign*
Image

(I've since played the E3 Demo after writing that, but the rest of the statement stands.)
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EmperorGrieferus and 28 guests