MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v5.3 "Klave" (Artipatched! p104)

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:1: didnt JPF had a bug where gibs and stuff stood in mid air when the sector they were on goes down? i saw that at times.
Fixed, thanks for the heads-up.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I think I've found something from Resurrection that could be worth implementing. There are teleporters that kind of act as a precursor to Doom 4's gore nest, and I was thinking you could put these at boss cube destinations to warn players that they could be telefragged if they stand there, and then maybe the demon keys can somehow be used to destroy these so that the boss has fewer places to spawn monsters. For sprites, you could maybe take the legs from a D64 arachnotron or Amuscaria's Arachknight, and then just flip them upside down.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

That teleporter idea sounds cool but i feel like it'd fit more for maps themed after the mod than the mod itself. although looking back, a MetaDoom mapset could suffer from being over ambitious.

Anyway, this bullet box is in the air and i'm not sure if it's to do with the mod or the source port i'm using. (again, GZDoom 4.1.2 32 bit)
Attachments
this.png
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Unable to reproduce, especially not without knowing what map.

More first-person death animations incoming...
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Noticed two weird things
* much like gibs, the hologram's projection of the player isn't affected by sectors moving up and down.
* despite Caco's and Baron's having their own unique blood, when their corpses are crushed, they still display red blood.
And what happened to the codex entry of the holy water pistol?

edit: http://boards.4channel.org/vr/thread/5588307#p5592587 for the screenshot.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:And what happened to the codex entry of the holy water pistol?
lmbo goddammit pyspy you and your error handlers

EDIT: Fixed.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Speaking of things that may or may not use a fix, what about the cast sequence after the icon of sin?
Because the Spider Mastermind, Cyberdemon and Doomguy (with the new sprites) show some vanilla sprites in their death animations. (with the SMM showing one sprite from her second attack at the end of her animation)
Spoiler:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I don't think I've even touched the roll call, since my actor-code as-is didn't play nice with it last I checked. I should probably do SOMETHING with it, but I'm not sure what just yet - just hurling every single monster in would make it last forever...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The last time I messed with the cast call, I had to create specific cast call versions of all the enemies that performed nothing but basic animation, because there are so many parts of modern monster code that utterly break it, like zero duration states.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Replaced the Cast Call with something that isn't exactly world-shattering, but it's reasonably appropriate. I might polish it further later, when I'm less worn out.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Anyway.
I noticed that this tesla rocket that probably spawned from a cell pick up may have teleported to the rocket launcher area, which means items meant to be picked up can use teleporters like the player and enemies.
Also, the Spider Mastermind can make the game slow down at times when she dies. (specially in the crusher at map 06)
Then again, could be my machine.
I'm also using a new Github build as of today. (or yesterday)
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20190524_214424.png
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Spiderdemon crusher is probably due to all the blood being spawned. I'll think of a way to deal with this at some point, but probably not for this version.

I'm okay with items teleporting, so long as they remain player-accessible.

Progress Report:

I'm currently in the home stretch with porting over all the DECORATE stuff. It's been a fairly repetitive task, with a lot of sighing and muttering "how did I ever consider this acceptable to inflict on other humans", but the various tweaks and improvements that I've been sneaking in as I go have all been well worth it. I have just five files to go, and then it's just a matter of some final testing and checks before we have another stable release on our hands.

What's Next:
I've written scores of words about future plans in the past, I suppose now's a good time to barf verbs all over again.

THE BEHOLDER: I hate the sprites the Beholder uses. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. But the lack of additional Pain Elemental character designs out there at the time of creation really threw a wrench in the works. I still hate it, and want to replace it post-haste.

Currently I'm considering using the Doom 3 Cacodemon design, as apparently that character was intended to be a blend of both Caco and Pain Elemental behaviors during development, but I haven't started sprite-ifying it yet. I'm also concerned that having a known Cacodemon design for a Pain Elemental may be confusing to players. I think there's a Doom 3-style Pain Elemental in the Doom 3 Phobos TC, but that presents its own obstacles...

The Doom Eternal design will probably be used for another variant, and also, well, see below.

UNIQUE BOSS REPLACEMENTS: Simply put, I plan on taking the boss spawners and having them check for specific map lumps that those monsters typically get used for (ex. E4M8, MAP06 etc.) and having them spawn appropriate unique boss monsters from the extended Doom beastiary - for example, replacing the twin Spiderdemons on MAP28 with the Hell Guards from Doom 2016. I have the process worked out in my head, but the hard part (as always) will be getting art ready for the new critters. I'll probably code them with placeholders first to get their gameplay downpat, and hopefully art will follow from there like it has in the past. We'll see...

JUMP BOOTS: I really want to implement these, but adding them - in a way that's fun to use, a way that makes sense with MetaDoom, and the technical details behind doing so - have currently eluded me. For example, should they be a game option, a permanent upgrade, or a timed powerup? If not a game option, then how should they be spawned? And so on. I suppose they could also be merged with the boosting stuff from the new game, but...

THE NEXT BATCH: Doom Eternal is coming. As such, Doom Eternal stuff is coming. However, I don't intend on even starting to implement it in MetaDoom until the game is released and I have played it for myself. Now, I have some ideas on how to incorporate some of the stuff already, but I want to get my hands on that stuff first instead of rushing ahead with a half-thought-through interpretation of a blurry Youtube video of an unfinished version.

AND AFTER THAT?: Honestly, I'm not sure. When I wrote the previously-linked scores of words, I was disappointed with the general lack of feedback I was getting from MetaDoom in comparison to, say, Reelism, and was gearing up to work on what would become Juvenile Power Fantasy. Since then, JPF came, was kind of a failure, and went, many of the long-standing collaborative relationships that fuelled my past Doom works have exploded in spectacular, Hindenberg-esque fashion (mostly my fault, admittedly), and NULL succumbed to its injuries before it reached the finishing line. My track record after this mod hasn't been great, is what I'm trying to say.

I've had an absolute blast working on MetaDoom, and I'm extremely proud of what my dumb little series remix has become (even if I still don't get much in the way of responses from people, but I've gotten more accustomed to that... I think), but I can see it reaching a climax of sorts - there's only so much you can put in a mod before you hit the dreaded Content Critical Mass and start shoehorning unnecessary features in (IWAD map environment prop spawners, mock-lootbox systems, etc. etc... you've seen this happen tens of times already) that ultimately make the mod as a whole worse, and I think I'm ultimately starting to approach that grim horizon. Which means that I'll eventually have to move on to a new project in order to avoid making this one suck.

So, what comes next? I don't know. Most of my creative crutches are gone, and my future plans for my dumb hobby bullshit consist of a blank page. I'm basically going back to square one. And that's kind of terrifying, but also pretty exciting - After all, I've already struck out a couple of times, what's the worst I can do... strike out again?
whatup876

Re: MetaDoom v5.3 "Klave" (What's Next? p106)

Post by whatup876 »

* I thought the Beholder could use the Eternal design but still colored green because Beholder and the former lieutenant are the only Doom RPG enemies that reference palette swaps based on existing monsters prior that game. (since the dogs are a new species)

* I also assumed a new attack from him based off Eternal could work too and thought the same for Spiborg in regards of the Eternal Arachno. (as in: in case an actual new monster isn't enough)

* The idea behind boss spawns is an interesting one because besides the hell guards and possibly Mother Demon playing differently from the SMM/Cybie, when they spawn and their randomization comes in mind too, because some people would play this mod just to see every weapon and enemy in a playthrough and see their codex almost full. (this is in case for non IWAD mapsets)

* I assume it'd be easier to work on variants for the Barons and HK's since they're more often to be treated as enemies but sprite issues aside, the Ressurection of evil Bruiser and that Fire Baron would need something interesting for gameplay.

* As for the jump boots, the closest to the mod having something that changes the movement and mobility of the player is probably the Haste power up, which in itself is still close to "somewhat vanilla play" than a second jump and even if the dash system was added, it'd require a new keybind.

I guess this is what i have to add.

I guess a solution for Eternal representation is modifying existing stuff a bit just to represent that game like adding new details to the sprites of some weapons or what i said about Beholder/Spiborg with the ladder bleeding blue.

Or even something minor like a new little Doomguy based off the new armor and the main menu screen having another first level screenshot.
Gez

Post by Gez »

There's the Cacomental perhaps?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

You're going super great, time to time. Getting better and professional with the modding. You're actually one of the inspirational individual! And myes, i really can't wait for your stuff in the future. I'll be there-

Return to “Gameplay Mods”