Page 89 of 103

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:07 pm
by ShockwaveS08
Bug report in the Dev Build, regarding "death-exits" like the one used in E1M8: Phobos Anomaly. If you start to go too crazy with throwables just as you "die", the game doesn't have time to strip away the InventoryCooldownToken before the next map loads, leaving you permanently unable to use Throwables unless you type "take InventoryCooldownToken 999" in the console.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:23 pm
by Miru
I have an idea: maybe the Holy Water pistol can “exorcise” zombies and turn them into allies?

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 am
by Kinsie
so uh

i guess i'm not gonna be finished with this project this year, huh

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug report in the Dev Build, regarding "death-exits" like the one used in E1M8: Phobos Anomaly. If you start to go too crazy with throwables just as you "die", the game doesn't have time to strip away the InventoryCooldownToken before the next map loads, leaving you permanently unable to use Throwables unless you type "take InventoryCooldownToken 999" in the console.
Should be fixed now, thanks for the heads-up.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:57 pm
by Miru
Kinsie wrote:so uh

i guess i'm not gonna be finished with this project this year, huh

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug report in the Dev Build, regarding "death-exits" like the one used in E1M8: Phobos Anomaly. If you start to go too crazy with throwables just as you "die", the game doesn't have time to strip away the InventoryCooldownToken before the next map loads, leaving you permanently unable to use Throwables unless you type "take InventoryCooldownToken 999" in the console.
Should be fixed now, thanks for the heads-up.

Now I just wonder how material from Eternal and the unreleased D4 prototype are going to be incorporated, along with some stuff I mentioned earlier like the Vulgar, Dark Claw, and Marine Bot.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:48 pm
by whatup876
It seems the latest Doom announcement affected this update's actual release, but hopefully not the development.

Miru wrote:Now I just wonder how material from Eternal and the unreleased D4 prototype are going to be incorporated, along with some stuff I mentioned earlier like the Vulgar, Dark Claw, and Marine Bot.


Since it's going to be an earth based game, i looked back at the "MetaDoom themed maps" idea and realized we could get more material for earth that isn't limited to Doom 2 and Plutonia. (again, if that would even work)

Looking at my ideas and suggestions, i feel like i mentioned too much of it, that the issue might be less about their quality and more about the quantity.

I thought like 9 different enemies, each for a different enemy type could somehow work because of the work on their variation, how much we could even pull ouf of Doom and make it fit, the codex, execution and creativity, the fact that this mod may never hit the levels of madness like most randomizers that are intentionally crazy, the case of which parts of the series are they representing, Doom RPG names being taken etc etc etc.

But yeah, that list was ridiculously huge and even if some of it could be well-thought-out, that's all i can do so far.

Spoiler:

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 am
by Kinsie
whatup876 wrote:It seems the latest Doom announcement affected this update's actual release, but hopefully not the development.
I said "finished", not "released". I was mostly planning one last update until there was something else to adapt... but now we have news of that on the horizon.

whatup876 wrote:Also, what are the scripted marines for
For Scripted Marines, surprisingly. They're not uncommon in really old ZDoom maps. As a result, the "Marine Bots" Miru enthused about are pretty redundant.

I'd like to make them look a bit like the UAC marines from Doom 2016 multiplayer, but that'd take more effort than I'm honestly willing to put in.

whatup876 wrote:and who are the mugshots for the female/cyborg players going to be? Because i assumed if the cyborg will be Hayden, he could have the blue lights change to red or yellow (low health and invulnerable) depending on his state.
Female: There are a few options. DrPySpy wanted to do a face sheet of Major Morgan from Doom 2 RPG, but he has a lot on his plate and he's already contributed an insane amount so I don't want to push too hard.
Image

Cyborg: Hayden was my first bet, but Term raised the very good idea of the Combat Chassis from Doom VFR. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of good reference imagery of that out there, and I'm not a millionaire with a dedicated hermetically-sealed VR Chamber in my home, so I can't get any for myself.
Image
Image

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 am
by Miru
Um... the Marine Bots were enemies, like in Doom 64’s title screen map. They wouldn’t overlap too much.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 am
by Kinsie
Miru wrote:Um... the Marine Bots were enemies, like in Doom 64’s title screen map. They wouldn’t overlap too much.
They were a tool for cutscenes, just like the ZDoom Scripted Marines. Their seat has been taken.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 am
by LossForWords
do you have plans to replace doomguy's arms and player skin to something more like the doom '16 armor?

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 pm
by Kinsie
LossForWords wrote:do you have plans to replace doomguy's arms and player skin to something more like the doom '16 armor?
Player skin, I'd really like to do a sort of "hybrid armor" design combining elements from various iterations of the Doom Guy. I haven't gotten around to that, though, and it's not my highest priority at the moment since you don't really see the player much in most Doom maps. The arms will likely stay the same, though.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 pm
by LossForWords
i thought it would make sense because a robot with hairy and fleshy arms look weird. but i get it. also, i'd like to suggest doom 3 styled gore vanish, where the bits of flesh and bones burn away after some time. also, the codex was a really cool addition, other than the soul and megasphere not being there, but i get it as well. i've been playing it with the psxdoom port and can't wait for the next version.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 pm
by Kinsie
LossForWords wrote:also, i'd like to suggest doom 3 styled gore vanish, where the bits of flesh and bones burn away after some time.
I probably won't do this as an overall addition because I'm personally not big on corpse-fade (and my terrible sense of direction means I can easily figure out where I've been by following my trail of carnage :P ) but I could see maybe a particularly nasty Archvile variant burning away after death because Archies are evil bastards.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 pm
by Miru
I suggest that the Cerebus be given another head to match this scrapped D64 enemy:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/S695PuJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium[/imgur]

And I understand that the D64 Marines only attacked due to hacking, rather than any intended behavior on the developers parts.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:05 am
by Kinsie
Miru wrote:I suggest that the Cerebus be given another head to match this scrapped D64 enemy:

This has been talked about, and some mockups were fiddled with, but we weren't really able to do it in a way that didn't look awkward and crappy at the time, especially with the Wolf3D dog sprite base. It's a pity, but it is what it is.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am
by Doctrine Gamer
Kinsie! Suggestion in the option of performance, could have option of the gibs and capsules of the bullets disappear for a while.