MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (UPDATED!! p115)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (p81)

Postby Kinsie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:35 pm

The only thing that's really unique to Doom Resurrection is Robot Navi, I don't think there's really a huge call for that.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:15 am

Do you plan to rework the Fiend's jump ability? I previously suggested you make it more like D4T's Revenant. What do you think of that?
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User

Postby TootsyBowl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:48 am

Any chance of a monsters-only version? The weaponry feels anaemic and ineffective, in particular the Machine Gun which seems to take twice as long to kill anything compared to the vanilla Chaingun. However the way none of the monsters feel out of place and fit in completely with some warped version of the Doom lore (what little shreds of it there is :D ) is great. Also love how some monsters only spawn in dark places.
TootsyBowl

Discord: TootsyBowl#2053

Postby Captain J » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19 am

TootsyBowl wrote:in particular the Machine Gun which seems to take twice as long to kill anything compared to the vanilla Chaingun.
If you have plenty of ammo, you might use secondary fire for extra damage.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby TootsyBowl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:00 am

Captain J wrote:
TootsyBowl wrote:in particular the Machine Gun which seems to take twice as long to kill anything compared to the vanilla Chaingun.
If you have plenty of ammo, you might use secondary fire for extra damage.

Well, the thing is that with those the ammo is burned away too quickly. Not to mention the Plasma Gun's slower fire rate, while it means lower damage-per-second, makes it easier to conserve ammo. Combine that and the general abundance of cells thanks to the Soul Cube, and some ammo conservation with either shotgun, and the two bullet weapons are frankly quite obsolete. The Machine Gun doesn't even have the sniping capabilities of the vanilla chaingun, and the chaingun spins up too slowly and eats too much ammo to be practical.
TootsyBowl

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:27 am

Maybe increasing the bullet ammo cap would help mitigate the issue?
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User

Postby zrrion the insect » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:24 pm

I haven't really had an issue killing things with the weapons.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby TootsyBowl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:13 pm

zrrion the insect wrote:I haven't really had an issue killing things with the weapons.

Well, they kill things. Okay, that's their one and only purpose, and the do the job decently. My only issue is that they seem to do the job slowly, aside from the shotguns and the rocket launcher.
TootsyBowl

Postby Captain J » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 pm

At least they're still destructive. Hell, earliest version of plasma rifle fired very, very slowly just like Doom 3's. And that's how each weapons has secondary fire to cover up the Doom 3-styled slow speed.

And yeah, i do aware that ammo drops very easily. So i recommend to change your weapons often.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Kinsie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:45 am

For reference...
The ZDoom Wiki's Equivalent of the original Chaingun's firing code:
Code: Select allExpand view
A_FireBullets(5.6, 0, 1, 5, "BulletPuff")

The code used in MetaDoom:
Code: Select allExpand view
A_FireBullets(5.6, 0, 1, 5, "MetaBulletPuff")

That people consider the latter weaker than the former despite being functionally identical is fascinating to me. Is it due to the animation? The sound effects? Maybe the firing rate is slightly different due to the different animation style... It's an interesting problem to deal with.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby TootsyBowl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 am

I dunno, maybe it's the sound? The machine gun does sound kind of pathetic, even more so than the pistol.
I mentioned this while suggesting a monsters-only version of this mod so...please?

Edit: Ah yes, and no tap-sniping like with the vanilla chaingun. Given how late you get your hands on the Gauss Cannon, machine gun sniping would be a decent stopgap.
TootsyBowl

Postby wildweasel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 am

I suspect it's the animation. The machine gun fires one tic slower than the Doom chaingun, resulting in slightly less damage per second.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby TootsyBowl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:31 am

One tic is near-imperceptible. I still say it's a combination of the poorer accuracy and lame sound.
TootsyBowl

Postby TechnoDoomed1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 am

TootsyBowl wrote:One tic is near-imperceptible. I still say it's a combination of the poorer accuracy and lame sound.

Not so imperceptible. Sometimes a tic makes a hell of a difference with weapons, specially if that time can add up while you are firing.
TechnoDoomed1

Postby Yholl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 am

TootsyBowl wrote:One tic is near-imperceptible. I still say it's a combination of the poorer accuracy and lame sound.
A single tic difference on a rapidfire weapon can have a vast difference. It's also exactly as inaccurate, as was shown earlier.
Yholl
I will hit you with my Decorate.

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods