MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Almonds

Re: [WIP] MetaDoom - Thank You For The Demon (Coming Soon!)

Post by Almonds »

a light comment regarding the project title logo, wouldn't it be more logical to have doom64guy appear on the second 'o' in DOOM instead of doom2guy?

I mean, doom 2 wasn't all that radically distant from classic doom anyway, that extends to the protagonists even.
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Almonds wrote:a light comment regarding the project title logo, wouldn't it be more logical to have doom64guy appear on the second 'o' in DOOM instead of doom2guy?
Make sense, even though it's a Spin-off made by the different developers; Midway Games. and ID Software was just supervised it.

Yet, I don't think Doom2guy on the 2nd O is real doomguy, but shotgun guy.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Wolfbrf wrote:Add a class system seem a nice idea, classes can change only the skins of basic guns, but all classes can get specific stuffs from doom games: smg from doom3, doom64"s unmaker, doom4 triple chaingun....

About the video, ok, has several bugs, but the smort animations are q good work, same for effects(simple and nice), this mod just need some bug fixes and adjusts over balance
That video is not of MetaDoom. Please don't post while having a stroke.
Captain J wrote:Speaking of which, hope the classes can be have their own theme about doom series. Their weapon set, character skin or sounds, doesn't matter!
MetaDoom is not class-based.
NullWire wrote:Please tell me if you gonna add the soul cube, artifact and plasma levitator..
Soul Cube's gonna happen, Artifact is something I have ideas for, Grabber I'd like to have if I can figure out the best way to handle it. (I know there's an ACS-based Gravity Gun out there, but it's from VERY long ago and there's probably easier, better ways to do it now...)
SiFi270 wrote:
Jaxxoon R wrote:About the only thing I could imagine worth carrying over from 64 would be the Unmaker. Maybe combine its mechanics with that of the SoulCube?
There's also the double bladed chainsaw. If Doom 4's upgrades/mods are being incorporated as alt fires, then maybe the chainsaw's alt fire could involve the marine attaching a second blade?
I have some plans for the Doom 4 Chainsaw that involve it being implemented as a unique weapon with an awful pun name.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Let me guess; painsaw? Or maybe chainsore(ok im srry)!
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Well, the actual chainsaw in Doom 4 has Painsaw written on the side of the blade, so that would be the most likely candidate for a punny name.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I don't agree with 536 "different" shotguns. That would make the game lose it's fun really fast. More guns don't mean more fun.
Also, the man himself said he wouldn't do it!

Sorry if i'm being harsh, but i get it up to here sometimes. It's like those people who ask compatibilities thinking you just need to get inside the file and turn a switch ON/OFF.

Anyway, i'm looking foward to play this. I started something similiar, but it was just a mix of famous doom weapons, no big features. Looks really promising so far, Kinsie.
Truvix

Post by Truvix »

I'm curious about what you have planned in terms of the enemies. What I mean by that is, what monsters are you planning on backporting and what new behaviors can we expect to be added to preexisting ones? It's probably quite early to be asking, considering that the weapons are still fairly heavily in development, but I just thought of this because I know Project Brutality has trites and has implemented the Revenant's hovering ability from Doom 4, but I'm not sure what assets are floating around and what would just be far too difficult/impractical to implement.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Truvix wrote:I'm curious about what you have planned in terms of the enemies. What I mean by that is, what monsters are you planning on backporting and what new behaviors can we expect to be added to preexisting ones? It's probably quite early to be asking, considering that the weapons are still fairly heavily in development, but I just thought of this because I know Project Brutality has trites and has implemented the Revenant's hovering ability from Doom 4, but I'm not sure what assets are floating around and what would just be far too difficult/impractical to implement.
The plan is for monster variants to have different attacks while most, if not all of the Doom 2 monsters act as the "default". Some monsters, like, say, the Baron of Hell, might be changed up depending on this or that.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but all monster hitscans are now WildWeasel's tracer FastProjectiles. Just to take the teeth from distant Chaingunners a little.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

anything to nerf chaingunners is fine by me. hate hate hate those guys. hitscans are only really acceptable when it's a gun you can use, or if it's a uncommon or rarer type of enemy (like the oozi guys and pyramid tanks in Adventures of Square.)
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

GAA1992 wrote:More guns don't mean more fun.
That is your opinion. Not a stated fact.
GAA1992 wrote: Sorry if i'm being harsh, but i get it up to here sometimes. It's like those people who ask compatibilities thinking you just need to get inside the file and turn a switch ON/OFF.
No its nothing at all like that. It was a slight suggestion / opinion on my end. I did not demand he do anything, and I do not see how this in any way is like asking modders for a Brutal Doom compatibility patchs or any sory of compatibility patch.... Your kinda jumping the gun on this one.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Like i said, it went out of my control. I ain't talking about BD(and let's avoid it since we're here...)

Forget what i said before. You got it right, it's a opinion and not a fact.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Neat mod idea, I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

Maybe you could make it so you can only have one weapon per slot, but swap them out for variants based off the different Doom games? So for the shotgun maybe the Doom 3 shotgun is king in close quarters, the Doom 1/64 one is better for longer range, and the Doom 4 one is somewhere in the middle.
mentha

Post by mentha »

looking forward to this. no matter how long it takes.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

JimpArgon wrote:That is your opinion. Not a stated fact.
Well, I mean, you like shooting, right?

And you don't like waiting to switch to your weapon, right? Especially when weapon switching is as slow as it is in Doom.

Well, more guns means you have to spend more and more time switching between weapons as more and more weapons clutter up the weapon slots, which means you spend less time shooting, which also means you spend more time defenseless. Unless you plan to turn your Doom playing experience into a pacifist run of a shmup, then I think it can be objectively stated that you can have too much gun and impact the amount of fun you're having.
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Arctangent wrote:Well, I mean, you like shooting, right?
No, absolutely not. Friendship and whatnot is what I liek.
Arctangent wrote: And you don't like waiting to switch to your weapon, right? Especially when weapon switching is as slow as it is in Doom.
Umm. No. You don't get to answer that for me first of all, and secondly weapon switching speeds vary from mod to mod. And regardless does not take much longer then .2 or .3 of a second....
Arctangent wrote: Well, more guns means you have to spend more and more time switching between weapons as more and more weapons clutter up the weapon slots, which means you spend less time shooting, which also means you spend more time defenseless. Unless you plan to turn your Doom playing experience into a pacifist run of a shmup, then I think it can be objectively stated that you can have too much gun and impact the amount of fun you're having.
I take it you have never used the number pad to cycle through weapons. It really does not take as long as you are suggesting it does. You might play like an idiot and try cycling though weapons while in the middle of a fire fight, and think that having more then 6 weapons is no fun. But that's again.... Your opinion. Don't try and think to correct me on mine.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”