MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (p81)

Post by Kinsie »

The only thing that's really unique to Doom Resurrection is Robot Navi, I don't think there's really a huge call for that.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Do you plan to rework the Fiend's jump ability? I previously suggested you make it more like D4T's Revenant. What do you think of that?
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Any chance of a monsters-only version? The weaponry feels anaemic and ineffective, in particular the Machine Gun which seems to take twice as long to kill anything compared to the vanilla Chaingun. However the way none of the monsters feel out of place and fit in completely with some warped version of the Doom lore (what little shreds of it there is :D ) is great. Also love how some monsters only spawn in dark places.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

TootsyBowl wrote:in particular the Machine Gun which seems to take twice as long to kill anything compared to the vanilla Chaingun.
If you have plenty of ammo, you might use secondary fire for extra damage.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Captain J wrote:
TootsyBowl wrote:in particular the Machine Gun which seems to take twice as long to kill anything compared to the vanilla Chaingun.
If you have plenty of ammo, you might use secondary fire for extra damage.
Well, the thing is that with those the ammo is burned away too quickly. Not to mention the Plasma Gun's slower fire rate, while it means lower damage-per-second, makes it easier to conserve ammo. Combine that and the general abundance of cells thanks to the Soul Cube, and some ammo conservation with either shotgun, and the two bullet weapons are frankly quite obsolete. The Machine Gun doesn't even have the sniping capabilities of the vanilla chaingun, and the chaingun spins up too slowly and eats too much ammo to be practical.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Maybe increasing the bullet ammo cap would help mitigate the issue?
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I haven't really had an issue killing things with the weapons.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

zrrion the insect wrote:I haven't really had an issue killing things with the weapons.
Well, they kill things. Okay, that's their one and only purpose, and the do the job decently. My only issue is that they seem to do the job slowly, aside from the shotguns and the rocket launcher.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

At least they're still destructive. Hell, earliest version of plasma rifle fired very, very slowly just like Doom 3's. And that's how each weapons has secondary fire to cover up the Doom 3-styled slow speed.

And yeah, i do aware that ammo drops very easily. So i recommend to change your weapons often.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

For reference...
The ZDoom Wiki's Equivalent of the original Chaingun's firing code:

Code: Select all

A_FireBullets(5.6, 0, 1, 5, "BulletPuff")
The code used in MetaDoom:

Code: Select all

A_FireBullets(5.6, 0, 1, 5, "MetaBulletPuff")
That people consider the latter weaker than the former despite being functionally identical is fascinating to me. Is it due to the animation? The sound effects? Maybe the firing rate is slightly different due to the different animation style... It's an interesting problem to deal with.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

I dunno, maybe it's the sound? The machine gun does sound kind of pathetic, even more so than the pistol.
I mentioned this while suggesting a monsters-only version of this mod so...please?

Edit: Ah yes, and no tap-sniping like with the vanilla chaingun. Given how late you get your hands on the Gauss Cannon, machine gun sniping would be a decent stopgap.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I suspect it's the animation. The machine gun fires one tic slower than the Doom chaingun, resulting in slightly less damage per second.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

One tic is near-imperceptible. I still say it's a combination of the poorer accuracy and lame sound.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

TootsyBowl wrote:One tic is near-imperceptible. I still say it's a combination of the poorer accuracy and lame sound.
Not so imperceptible. Sometimes a tic makes a hell of a difference with weapons, specially if that time can add up while you are firing.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

TootsyBowl wrote:One tic is near-imperceptible. I still say it's a combination of the poorer accuracy and lame sound.
A single tic difference on a rapidfire weapon can have a vast difference. It's also exactly as inaccurate, as was shown earlier.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”