MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
whatup876

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (p107)

Post by whatup876 »

This is late but congrats on the update's release.

I remember the talk about the Beholder's sprites and wondered if the Forgotten Ones could look closer to either the RoE lost souls or the Doom 3 ones, since they're just generic skulls.
I think the issue is that enemy sprites in general are always hard and the idea of the Forgotten Ones is that they're meant to be small "human" skulls.

Also, if you look at some of the E3 footage, the new Arachnotron is able to charge a few big plasma balls, similar to Spiborg. (just because i once thought that Spiborg and even Beholder could in some ways represent the AT/PE in Eternal in case actual new enemies aren't going to work)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

The Doom 3 Lost Souls were more normal-human-head sized, as opposed to the traditional Lost Souls which are basically torso-sized. There's not a huge amount you can do in the Doom art-style in that size without sprite scaling, which can lead to a bit of what for lack of a better name I call resolution-dissonance - a normal sprite-scale Beholder spewing out high-res Doom 3 Lost Souls would look kinda weird!

Granted, I'm not a fantastic artist, so if someone does something better in Doom-monster-head size (or sliiiightly larger - revenant head size?) I'd be more than happy to eat my words.

I'm not sure what'll happen with the Eternal Arachnotron. I'd like it to be a new enemy so that the Arachnotron would have three variants like most of the monsters, but we'll see what gameplay dictates.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

An idea i had for "small" D3 Lost Soul sprites was using the former shotgunner's head as a base for sprites. (because it's a plain bald head so i assumed it'd work)
Like, add the tech in its back, make the mouth more open and "ripped" from it, add those tubes in the mouth and the white eyes...
I'm making it sound easier right now
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Due to my crippling incompetence, I have no idea how many people even play my mod, and I don’t get a huge amount of feedback. As such, I’ve thrown together a little survey to try and get a better idea of what needs doing. If you play MetaDoom, I’d greatly appreciate it if you filled it out! Thanks!
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Help Wanted! p108)

Post by namsan »

Ok Kinsie, I sent my feedback from that link.
Koopliss

Post by Koopliss »

i've submitted to the survey, i've also detailed pretty much my only major thought about it, either way, thank you for providing us a great demon slaying experience. :P
Sallyspartan

Post by Sallyspartan »

Filled out, and sent. I hope you find it beneficial!
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

Answered the survey. <3

I plan on playing through a few megawads with MetaDoom as well to provide feedback.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Well i just added my OPINIONS! to that survay of your's.

I'm not sure if its gonna be of much use sinse i did not play V5 much (i also stated the same in the form) but there more the better right :p
Nems

Post by Nems »

Just got done playing MetaDoom with an Oblige megawad. I didn't notice any game-breaking bugs and I had a great time. There are a couple of things I noticed though and wanted to bring up:

-Is the shared inventory ammo intentional or a bug? I've noticed this since the first version of MetaDoom but the inventory items all use the same ammo. If you use it all up you can't use anything else. It's not really a big deal, mind you, since you can get 25 total and I was constantly coming across inventory pick ups. Just something I thought I'd ask about.
-The BFG feels underwhelming to the point that I barely used it once I got other slot 7 weapons. The slow speed of the projectile I think is what puts me off. It seems/feels slower than the vanilla BFG projectile so I end up using it in close combat, trash mob situations when I did use it (versus mid to long range situations against harder/tougher singular targets in vanilla Doom where I'm used to the BFG ball traveling faster). Maybe the BFG in MetaDoom fills a different combat role versus the two other slot 7 weapons and I just haven't figured out yet what that role is so I'll admit this could just be me being a brainlet.

Still an awesome release nonetheless! <3
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nems wrote:-Is the shared inventory ammo intentional or a bug? I've noticed this since the first version of MetaDoom but the inventory items all use the same ammo. If you use it all up you can't use anything else. It's not really a big deal, mind you, since you can get 25 total and I was constantly coming across inventory pick ups. Just something I thought I'd ask about.
It's intentional. The aim was to prevent situations where you're stuck with a bunch of items that aren't helpful to your current situation while being deprived of stuff you could really use. Whether or not the results are more fun is up for debate...
Nems wrote:-The BFG feels underwhelming to the point that I barely used it once I got other slot 7 weapons. The slow speed of the projectile I think is what puts me off. It seems/feels slower than the vanilla BFG projectile so I end up using it in close combat, trash mob situations when I did use it (versus mid to long range situations against harder/tougher singular targets in vanilla Doom where I'm used to the BFG ball traveling faster). Maybe the BFG in MetaDoom fills a different combat role versus the two other slot 7 weapons and I just haven't figured out yet what that role is so I'll admit this could just be me being a brainlet.
The BFG moves slower so that it can shoot powerful lasers at enemies it passes, ala other BFGs, on top of the traditional BFG effect (or something reasonably similar). I personally use it for evaporating crowds and bosses.
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Heya! I've downloaded this mod because it was featured on the Zdoom spotlight. I like what I'm playing thus far, but I'm noticing a "ACS: 'PlayingDoom64': Unknown Actor Class." error on the top left of the screen all the time. Did I fuck up an installation process?

Also, thank you for removing hitscan becuase hitscan is indeed awful :D
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Grizzly wrote:Heya! I've downloaded this mod because it was featured on the Zdoom spotlight. I like what I'm playing thus far, but I'm noticing a "ACS: 'PlayingDoom64': Unknown Actor Class." error on the top left of the screen all the time. Did I fuck up an installation process?
That just means you're not playing Doom 64. I'm not sure why that's showing up for you. Try setting Hud Options > Message Options > Developer Message Mode to "Off".
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Oh, I must have turned that on by accident :oops:
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Is the purpose of "Content Locust" to play MetaDoom with single mapsets? I always kinda thought this mod was geared toward megawads since its a lot of fun to discover new monsters and weapons as you progress.
Last edited by Beezle on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”