MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: MetaDoom v3.666 "Samuel" (p72)

Post by Yholl »

Kinsie wrote:I might make it so enabling Content Locust and Traditional Berserk at the same time replaces Berserks with the nuclear barrels from DRLA. We'll have to see what happens!
This is relevant to my interests.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Hey, Kinsie, ever thought of a way to implement the unused Doom weapon that is the Dark Claw?

Edit: i thought it could feature moves either borrowed from some enemies (like a fireball or slamming the hand in the ground for a strong shockwave attack) or even have something to do with retaining/wasting ammo/health.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

the dark claw does sound cool, but what to do with it? Having it run off of health/demon souls could be cool, but other that that I don't have any especially good ideas as to what it could do.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

zrrion the insect wrote:the dark claw does sound cool, but what to do with it? Having it run off of health/demon souls could be cool, but other that that I don't have any especially good ideas as to what it could do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzq9nmrjgJM

Apparently, it casts a cloud that damages enemies nearby, but it can also hurt the player, at least according to this mod.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I'm working on a Dark Claw that spawns friendly monsters...
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

DoomKrakken wrote:I'm working on a Dark Claw that spawns friendly monsters...
That sounds interesting, anyway, my ideas for the DC in MetaDoom is that its primary fire could be something that is like the Grenade Launcher's smoke grenade but on the same level as the BFG's main fire, while the secondary fire is something like an ordinary demon attack such as a fireball or even something like a powerfull melee attack that could hurt the player if he misses.

Let's see what Kinsie thinks about this.

Edit: April 27th: Kinsie if you ever bring back invisibility, you could add an HUD face that is just Doomguy's eyeballs to resemble the ring of shadows in Quake 1 just for the fun of it.

Just an idea, a bad one i think.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

So here's a few things I've been working on today...

THE SUMMONER
Click for Video

As you can see, this thing is currently fug as hell. This is because there's very little in the way of Arch-Vile sprite edits out there (other than that one with horns, I'm gonna save that for another variant...) and none that resemble the Doom 4 Summoner. So I just threw an ugly translation on the Archie as a placeholder. I'd very much appreciate if any of the pixel-smiths out there helped me un-placeholder it! If not, well, Doom 4 model ripping tools are right around the corner...

My aim with the Summoner is to provide a lower-health Arch-Vile with several new abilities that don't directly attack the player. In this case, the "teleport" (which functions using the same code as with the Imp Lord) and the spraying of babby bosscubes which spawn weak distraction monsters... or "popcorn", if you will. Currently, they're just Zombiemen, but I may customize them in the future to provide something akin to Doom 4's "Unwilling".

I still need to fix up an alternate version of the popcorn attack for rooms with low ceilings, and create a unique active sound. Oh, and sprites. That too.

PROPS

Yesss! This is something I've wanted to do for a while. Currently pre-placed monster corpses are randomly horizontally flipped and have permanent bloodstains randomly sprayed around them, and Techlamps have a cool glow effect and break (with a sprite temporarily borrowed from an ancient mod of mine, ReDoom). I'll probably also sneak in some sprite replacements from other Doom games, as I see fit. Any suggestions...?

This will be in the Optional PK3! Many Boom mapsets like Ancient Aliens use DEHACKED to replace props with new monsters, and I ain't gonna break that. I actually want to play Boom mapsets with this thing, and frankly, DEHACKED and DECORATE interface about as well as oil and Alaskan wildlife. Why break other people's mods (non-Brutal Doom division) if I can avoid it?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Sounds interesting, not sure what i would like to see on the subject of props (maybe barrel variants resembling those hell barrel things from D4?) but i thought new treasure items could be added like the UAC credits and the Doomguy doll.

Also, how would the Archie with horns fit in MetaDoom? Sounds weird adding an enemie that looks obviously fanmade instead of official unless you're planning on editing the sprites of the Archvile with horns, so you could make it resemble the Harvester from Doom 4's multiplayer.
Last edited by whatup876 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Also, how would the Archie with horns fit in MetaDoom?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Kinsie wrote:
whatup876 wrote:Also, how would the Archie with horns fit in MetaDoom?
I guess it cold make sense with Apollyon being red.
I also assume people could see the Beholder being armless as a nod to how both PE and Caco were inspired by the DND monster of the same name.
So Apollyon's sprite could be seen as a Harvester reference i guess.

Another dumb edit: speaking of the harvester, the Hell Raser's sprites seem to have the same horns as Harvy does, just noticed it
Last edited by whatup876 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Kinsie wrote:As you can see, this thing is currently fug as hell. This is because there's very little in the way of Arch-Vile sprite edits out there (other than that one with horns, I'm gonna save that for another variant...) and none that resemble the Doom 4 Summoner. So I just threw an ugly translation on the Archie as a placeholder. I'd very much appreciate if any of the pixel-smiths out there helped me un-placeholder it!
What about Realm667's Hellion?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Here's an experimental feature I started playing with thanks to a slice of ZScript that Gutawer sent me:

welcome to fancy world

This may get turned into a separate mod.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Gotta love those swirling fizzing hydra-sound effects. I found myself interesting to hear its sound effect from props or liquid floors like these.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The big problem with smashable lamps, IMO, is that often they will be in places where sector lighting has been used to create the light effect around the lamp. So you smash the lamp but the light level doesn't change. It can look really quite odd.

The effects on the liquids look really cool.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

One thing i noticed about the power ups is that, when having a certain number of them actived at a time, the bars indicating their time can appear on top of each other.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”