MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Bug report in the Dev Build, regarding "death-exits" like the one used in E1M8: Phobos Anomaly. If you start to go too crazy with throwables just as you "die", the game doesn't have time to strip away the InventoryCooldownToken before the next map loads, leaving you permanently unable to use Throwables unless you type "take InventoryCooldownToken 999" in the console.
Miru

Post by Miru »

I have an idea: maybe the Holy Water pistol can “exorcise” zombies and turn them into allies?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

so uh

i guess i'm not gonna be finished with this project this year, huh
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug report in the Dev Build, regarding "death-exits" like the one used in E1M8: Phobos Anomaly. If you start to go too crazy with throwables just as you "die", the game doesn't have time to strip away the InventoryCooldownToken before the next map loads, leaving you permanently unable to use Throwables unless you type "take InventoryCooldownToken 999" in the console.
Should be fixed now, thanks for the heads-up.
Miru

Post by Miru »

Kinsie wrote:so uh

i guess i'm not gonna be finished with this project this year, huh
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug report in the Dev Build, regarding "death-exits" like the one used in E1M8: Phobos Anomaly. If you start to go too crazy with throwables just as you "die", the game doesn't have time to strip away the InventoryCooldownToken before the next map loads, leaving you permanently unable to use Throwables unless you type "take InventoryCooldownToken 999" in the console.
Should be fixed now, thanks for the heads-up.
Now I just wonder how material from Eternal and the unreleased D4 prototype are going to be incorporated, along with some stuff I mentioned earlier like the Vulgar, Dark Claw, and Marine Bot.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

It seems the latest Doom announcement affected this update's actual release, but hopefully not the development.
Miru wrote:Now I just wonder how material from Eternal and the unreleased D4 prototype are going to be incorporated, along with some stuff I mentioned earlier like the Vulgar, Dark Claw, and Marine Bot.
Since it's going to be an earth based game, i looked back at the "MetaDoom themed maps" idea and realized we could get more material for earth that isn't limited to Doom 2 and Plutonia. (again, if that would even work)

Looking at my ideas and suggestions, i feel like i mentioned too much of it, that the issue might be less about their quality and more about the quantity.

I thought like 9 different enemies, each for a different enemy type could somehow work because of the work on their variation, how much we could even pull ouf of Doom and make it fit, the codex, execution and creativity, the fact that this mod may never hit the levels of madness like most randomizers that are intentionally crazy, the case of which parts of the series are they representing, Doom RPG names being taken etc etc etc.

But yeah, that list was ridiculously huge and even if some of it could be well-thought-out, that's all i can do so far.
Spoiler:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:It seems the latest Doom announcement affected this update's actual release, but hopefully not the development.
I said "finished", not "released". I was mostly planning one last update until there was something else to adapt... but now we have news of that on the horizon.
whatup876 wrote:Also, what are the scripted marines for
For Scripted Marines, surprisingly. They're not uncommon in really old ZDoom maps. As a result, the "Marine Bots" Miru enthused about are pretty redundant.

I'd like to make them look a bit like the UAC marines from Doom 2016 multiplayer, but that'd take more effort than I'm honestly willing to put in.
whatup876 wrote:and who are the mugshots for the female/cyborg players going to be? Because i assumed if the cyborg will be Hayden, he could have the blue lights change to red or yellow (low health and invulnerable) depending on his state.
Female: There are a few options. DrPySpy wanted to do a face sheet of Major Morgan from Doom 2 RPG, but he has a lot on his plate and he's already contributed an insane amount so I don't want to push too hard.

Cyborg: Hayden was my first bet, but Term raised the very good idea of the Combat Chassis from Doom VFR. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of good reference imagery of that out there, and I'm not a millionaire with a dedicated hermetically-sealed VR Chamber in my home, so I can't get any for myself.
Miru

Post by Miru »

Um... the Marine Bots were enemies, like in Doom 64’s title screen map. They wouldn’t overlap too much.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Miru wrote:Um... the Marine Bots were enemies, like in Doom 64’s title screen map. They wouldn’t overlap too much.
They were a tool for cutscenes, just like the ZDoom Scripted Marines. Their seat has been taken.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

do you have plans to replace doomguy's arms and player skin to something more like the doom '16 armor?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

LossForWords wrote:do you have plans to replace doomguy's arms and player skin to something more like the doom '16 armor?
Player skin, I'd really like to do a sort of "hybrid armor" design combining elements from various iterations of the Doom Guy. I haven't gotten around to that, though, and it's not my highest priority at the moment since you don't really see the player much in most Doom maps. The arms will likely stay the same, though.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

i thought it would make sense because a robot with hairy and fleshy arms look weird. but i get it. also, i'd like to suggest doom 3 styled gore vanish, where the bits of flesh and bones burn away after some time. also, the codex was a really cool addition, other than the soul and megasphere not being there, but i get it as well. i've been playing it with the psxdoom port and can't wait for the next version.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

LossForWords wrote:also, i'd like to suggest doom 3 styled gore vanish, where the bits of flesh and bones burn away after some time.
I probably won't do this as an overall addition because I'm personally not big on corpse-fade (and my terrible sense of direction means I can easily figure out where I've been by following my trail of carnage :P ) but I could see maybe a particularly nasty Archvile variant burning away after death because Archies are evil bastards.
Miru

Post by Miru »

I suggest that the Cerebus be given another head to match this scrapped D64 enemy:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/S695PuJ_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium[/imgur]

And I understand that the D64 Marines only attacked due to hacking, rather than any intended behavior on the developers parts.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Miru wrote:I suggest that the Cerebus be given another head to match this scrapped D64 enemy:

This has been talked about, and some mockups were fiddled with, but we weren't really able to do it in a way that didn't look awkward and crappy at the time, especially with the Wolf3D dog sprite base. It's a pity, but it is what it is.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Kinsie! Suggestion in the option of performance, could have option of the gibs and capsules of the bullets disappear for a while.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”