MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ate0ate

Re: MetaDoom v5.0 "Klave" (Get Artifactual! p96)

Post by ate0ate »

Kinsie wrote:
chronoteeth wrote:oh buddy with the doom eternal gameplay stuff revealed i cannot wait to see what comes for the future
Thankfully, a friend has provided me with a handy workflow management tool to decide what should and shouldn't go in.
LOL, I imagine you have quite a lot of frequent flier miles by now.
EDIT: Derp, I misread "flees" as "flies..."
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

it wont be such a hassle i think if you do plan on making more cuz a lot of whats new is even more old, like old mancubus, old plasma gun, old pain elemental, ect
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Oh, I'll definitely be integrating Eternal stuff in the future, but I'm gonna give it some time to breathe and for us to find out more (and also to find out how I can integrate a grappling hook into the SSG without effectively obsoleting every single other weapon in the mod and destroying balance forever)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

grappling hook uses cell ammo :v
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Panzermann11 »

So Kinsie, what do you think about the Doom Eternal gameplay reveal that's been released lately?

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Finder153 wrote:So Kinsie, what do you think about the Doom Eternal gameplay reveal that's been released lately?
Let me put it this way...
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Malwrath is able to infight with the Cacodemon. also, when i load a saved game, my score total starts at 0 and has to roll all the way back up to whatever my current score is, which takes a long time to do.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

I don't know if it was reported but the doom 3 shotgunners don't seems to be added in the codex when killed.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the Malwrath is able to infight with the Cacodemon.
Redead-ITA wrote:I don't know if it was reported but the doom 3 shotgunners don't seems to be added in the codex when killed.
These should both now be fixed in the developer build. I'll wait a couple more days for further bug reports before popping out a v5.1.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I was playing the mod on The Ultimate Doom 2 and i saw a sprite of a dying SS guard, because apparently it was replacing a dead body of the mapset's SS replacement, even when i turned off the extra actors.

I might be misremembering it, but it was on the first map.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:I was playing the mod on The Ultimate Doom 2 and i saw a sprite of a dying SS guard, because apparently it was replacing a dead body of the mapset's SS replacement, even when i turned off the extra actors.

I'm not able to reproduce this, and probably won't be able to without further information.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Here to report that even though I killed the Wolfenstein soldiers(and their variants), they do not appear in the codex. I still have 4 missing monsters for the codex
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Personally i'd say "don't worry about Eternal" for now, given that we still won't have the full game in our hands until next year and many of the monsters shown so far recreate what we've already got in a sense. If anything it's like a big ol' GZDoom mod on Doom 2016's basis. :lol:
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Kinsie wrote:
whatup876 wrote:I was playing the mod on The Ultimate Doom 2 and i saw a sprite of a dying SS guard, because apparently it was replacing a dead body of the mapset's SS replacement, even when i turned off the extra actors.

I'm not able to reproduce this, and probably won't be able to without further information.
It was something that just happened and i don't know what else to say.
Also, maybe i could bring up this:

* When i put the K. mines in walls and shoot rockets at them, i thought i could make them go up or down, as if physics were attached at them.

* When the player has the lantern on and uses the fist, the light is still there, unless that doesn't really matter.

* When breakable props are activated on D64 maps (Consolation Prize), they replace some of the maps' existing props, which made me wonder whether or not you ever plan on breakable D64 props.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Alright, just finished a megawad and unlocked everything in the codex.
I think that overall, MetaDoom is pretty much a fair usage of many stuff from the whole series, while it feels more like the newest Doom.
The weapons feel authentic and easy to control, especially with the Unmaker upgrades, although for some reason, the rocket launcher didn't have alt-fire unlike most guns.
Some enemies' design seem out of place like the Doom 2016 Cacodemon, but they are awfully amusing to kill. I think redesigning them with the original sprite style will be too difficult, so that's fair.
Because many weapons have a huge amount of ammo, and you can earn more with the Soul Cube once it's charged, I almost didn't use most of the items at all. the only exception is The Artifact, because it's convenient when I go through hordes of monsters.
Progression in this mod is quite unique, since i only started with vanilla monsters, only to proceed 2 maps later to enemies from Doom 3 and such. It gives the motivation to continue and discover more monsters when you play.
The Codex is absolutely my favorite addition to this mod, because it gives information about enemies, weapons, and items. Some enemies are not included there(like the Wolfenstein soldiers), but it sure gives a reason to continue playing until it's completed.
However, If there's something which stopped me from using this mod again, it's the score system. It feels unnecessary if you have no one to compete against or a simple goal, and the score just keeps going up for every little fancy thing you find on the ground and every enemy you kill.
Doom 2016 did that great because you have a goal in mind(Gold rating) and you earn medals along the way. If you could at least implement a medal system for this mod, then i'll have more reasons to enjoy it again.
This is also why I found the doom buddy collectibles completely worthless, since they only give more score rather than giving you something else(like their own page in the Codex or something).

Hopefully this mod will get better in the future, but for the single playthrough i had with it, I've enjoyed it to the fullest.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”