MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
whatup876

Re: MetaDoom v5.1 "Klave" (Artipatch! p98)

Post by whatup876 »

Those Bruiser sprites look nice.

They sort of fit the idea that the Bruiser is like a cybernetic HK who got a TV mouth.

The sprites being closer to the vanilla HK is interesting, since MetaDoom revamped those into their D4 versions.
Faceman2000

Post by Faceman2000 »

wildweasel wrote:I suspect he copy-pasted the link as text from the other post he made in the Reincarnation of Evil thread, instead of copying the actual link. I'd guess at it being this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGOVQM ... sp=sharing
Son of a gun, that’s exactly what happened. Thanks!

And I hadn’t even thought about the fact that none of the enemies look like the original Baron or Hell Knight anymore haha. Whoops.
Mackery

Post by Mackery »

Does anyone know any mods/mappacks that go well with this? I am really enjoying the state this mod is at right now. It has really aged well.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Mackery wrote:Does anyone know any mods/mappacks that go well with this? I am really enjoying the state this mod is at right now. It has really aged well.
I'd highly recommend Consolation Prize.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55298
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I think wads like Reverie and Jenesis go pretty well with it because they both celebrate another aspect of Doom's history. UAC Ultra is also a good one because it's reminiscent of the Doom games made in later engines, but you'll want to disable WolfSS replacements for it.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Mackery wrote:Does anyone know any mods/mappacks that go well with this? I am really enjoying the state this mod is at right now. It has really aged well.
I used this a lot when testing and doing trailers, but you'll want to turn the WolfSS stuff off in MetaDoom Options since it replaces the WolfSS with a DEHACKED monster.
Mackery

Post by Mackery »

Kinsie wrote:
I used this a lot when testing and doing trailers, but you'll want to turn the WolfSS stuff off in MetaDoom Options since it replaces the WolfSS with a DEHACKED monster.
Ooh. I will check that out immediately. Thanks for replying! I really love the Codex. I cannot further stress how much I like a well designed Monster Beastiary with the weapons and other items.

Suggestion: Maybe add info on the vanilla pickups as well in the Codex? I just like looking at information since I enjoyed the Codex from DOOM 2016. I can provide the description of the Medikits, Stimpacks, Soulspheres, and ammo packs as well.

Either way, MetaDoom is my favorite 'vanilla enhancer' mod. Good luck with future updates!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

A mapset i thought went well enough to make me replay it with the mod twice was TNT: Revilution.

Most of the time, it's usually maps that just have an enough amount of item/weapon/enemy placements i suppose, but for those that may not fit, it's usually anything with death exits.

It's because when you lose your arsenal, anything else is still affected by the randomization, so it's harder to get everything or sometimes most weapons while dealing with stronger enemies and less weapons.

Death exists can also clear your codex, so you won't have the Trites page back because they stop showing up after 5 or so maps.
Nems

Post by Nems »

A possible bug to report: I'm playing with the latest builds of MetaDoom, Gardevoir's Ultimate Doom 2 levelset, and Mikk-'s Champions ( version 2.2.1 found in this post: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60456&start=105#p1068149 ) and rather than getting the custom dead marine corpses and the new zombified marine in that level set I'm getting floating SS Nazi corpses and SS Nazis. This is even with WolfSS Stuff turned off in the Options menu.

I forgot to take screenshots but the next time I play I'll take some and upload them here so you can see what I'm talking about in case I'm not doing a good job explaining it.

EDIT: Here's one screenshot detailing the possible bug.

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nems wrote:A possible bug to report: I'm playing with the latest builds of MetaDoom, Gardevoir's Ultimate Doom 2 levelset, and Mikk-'s Champions ( version 2.2.1 found in this post: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60456&start=105#p1068149 ) and rather than getting the custom dead marine corpses and the new zombified marine in that level set I'm getting floating SS Nazi corpses and SS Nazis. This is even with WolfSS Stuff turned off in the Options menu.

I forgot to take screenshots but the next time I play I'll take some and upload them here so you can see what I'm talking about in case I'm not doing a good job explaining it.

EDIT: Here's one screenshot detailing the possible bug.

Looks like a load-order issue with the modified WolfSS sprites included with MetaDoom. Try loading the mapset after MetaDoom and see if that fixes things.
Nems

Post by Nems »

Yep, it was a load order issue. I'm used to loading the level first, then the gameplay mods. :P Thanks! :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

First time playing the mod, I went to check the MetaDoom option and I'm unsure what do some of the setting do.

What do these do?
  • Potential Map-Breakers
  • Separate Episodic Spawn Rules
  • Content Locust Mode (nvm, F1 help screen explained this)
  • Blood Cull Radius
The rest are clear and self-explanatory, but the listed ones above I don't know how they work.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Map breakers are actor behaviors that differ enough from the baseline that they could potentially break a map accidentally. For example, the bruiser's ability to jump could potentially get them stuck somewhere depending on where they land. Same for imp lord teleportation or revenant jet packs. You turn that off, you get monsters that behave less spectacularly in some cases, but you also reduce the risk that something will go wrong. Some monsters like the cerberus are entirely turned off and will not spawn when this option is on, while others will spawn but have their behavior altered. (Note that if you change the setting during the game, you will change the behavior of monsters already spawned, but you will not despawn monsters that are normally turned off.)

Episodic spawn rules is about how new variants are introduced, because Doom II progression is over 30 levels while the progression in each Ultimate Doom episode (and NRFTL) is only over 8 levels.

Blood cull radius is about the range to which each blood splat is able to remove other blood splats. This feature makes it so that several overlapping blood splats will "condense" into a single one quickly, while blood splats is distant area can stay longer. With a longer radius, more blood splats will be removed swiftly.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Gez wrote:Map breakers are actor behaviors that differ enough from the baseline that they could potentially break a map accidentally. For example, the bruiser's ability to jump could potentially get them stuck somewhere depending on where they land. Same for imp lord teleportation or revenant jet packs. You turn that off, you get monsters that behave less spectacularly in some cases, but you also reduce the risk that something will go wrong. Some monsters like the cerberus are entirely turned off and will not spawn when this option is on, while others will spawn but have their behavior altered. (Note that if you change the setting during the game, you will change the behavior of monsters already spawned, but you will not despawn monsters that are normally turned off.)

Episodic spawn rules is about how new variants are introduced, because Doom II progression is over 30 levels while the progression in each Ultimate Doom episode (and NRFTL) is only over 8 levels.

Blood cull radius is about the range to which each blood splat is able to remove other blood splats. This feature makes it so that several overlapping blood splats will "condense" into a single one quickly, while blood splats is distant area can stay longer. With a longer radius, more blood splats will be removed swiftly.
Thank you, that helps me understand those settings tremendously. =:)

I imagined blood culling meant something about making blood splat temporarily invisible past a certain radius or distance around the player.

I've been playing the mod for a couple of hours and its quite impressive with the incredible level of quality, polish and audiovisual effects. Gameplay wise, its strangely parts satisfying and parts akward. Things I noticed that stood out for me were these:
  • With some of the weapons using up ammo incredibly fast, I felt like the max ammo count is really limited even with the backpack.
  • With the BFG being powered by argent cores that are quite rare, the above issue of running out of ammo came much sooner than usual.
  • Spidermastermind's corpse will stay and block vision, preventing me from seeing enemies and projectiles coming at me from behind it.
  • Weapon power and enemy health felt slightly grindy. Mid-tier enemies like cacos, mancubi, hellknights, barons, arachnotrons and revenants feel like a chore to take down. Maybe its just me, since I've been playing mods that increase the firepower of weapons greatly that those enemies don't feel like bullet sponges and vanilla doom's weapon power and enemy health is very similar to metadoom, so I think thats just an issue of personal preference than a fault with the mod.
  • Using the axe on humans and using the extinguisher on lost souls was really enjoyable. I also really like the melee uppercut punch and how it sends monsters up and away. Whacking a hellknight into air, then skeet shooting them with a super shotgun is really fun.
  • I really like the various items, though I can't help but think that some are better than others. Theres the regular grenade and the tesla rocket, but the tesla rocket just seems superior in every way. I also think that the explosion power, damage and radius of the grenade and the proxy mine are underwhelming and should be 50% higher.
  • The player death animation and camera blew me away. It was amazing watching my head fly up when a spidermastermind exploded me, then have the camera actually roll while following the head's flight.
  • On larger maps, I wish there was a button in the options to instantly delete all gibs, brass and blood away. Performance tanked heavily during more intense maps with upwards of 300 to 400 monsters. Boss monsters in particular caused significant lag spikes when they blew up and spewed tons of meat, organs and blood all over the place.
Overall I'm enjoying the mod plenty. All the small and big details that went into this are really impressive to look at. The carnage aftermath once I've cleared a room with all the blood, brass and gibs littering the place looks really cool, while the moment to moment action feels smooth as long as there is plenty of ammo for weapons available on the map. I think it is an excellent mod that stays faithful to the original doom in terms of difficulty, pace and style of play, yet still managing to overhaul it into looking and feeling like something more advanced and sleeker.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

I agree with much of what Spaceman333 has stated. My main issue with gameplay is the weak feeling assault rifle and shotgun. They have no real oomph and I find myself avoiding the assault rifle entirely. It just eats ammo with its primary or secondary attacks and feels like it does next to nothing damage wise. I found myself struggling with the revenant trap in plutonia experiment map 01 due to lack of damage/running out of ammo. Other than that, everything feels ridiculously solid to me. Excellent work on sprites and effects polish. Quite a joy playing through some older wads with this. I thank you for your work.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”