MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v5.1 "Klave" (Artipatch! p98)

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Since some people don't use the RL's alt fire as much, i checked the Doomwiki and discovered that in D4 you could apparently make the remote detonation rocket fire drop shards of the rocket that cause bleed damage on enemies.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Rocket_launch ... Detonation
I can see there being some difficulty with balancing this (their damage, what they cause on enemies, how many shards, their physics etc) and i haven't seen any proper gameplay footage of this nor if it's available on Snapmap.
But for what it's worth, there's some potential to make the alt fire of the rocket launcher a bit more usefull.
I'd like to buff the remote detonation because it'd be nice to remember that alt-fire even exists, something like this is probably the best route.
Miru wrote:I also have more enemy ideas. Namely, I think a grappler enemy could work, with players having to break free from grapples by pressing melee attack (or possibly also other weapons), to avoid damage. The Brier from Doom 2 RPG could work this way, for instance.
This sounds really annoying in a not-fun way. I have a couple of ideas what to do for the Watcher/Brier/tree dude should it ever get added, but we haven't reached that stage yet. Probably once Eternal stuff starts creeping in...
whatup876 wrote:We finally got Eternal footage after all this time.
It even shows how lives work, which kinda reminds me of the mod Dakka.
It won't fit MetaDoom that much, but i like to imagine it using an icon of Doomguy's face that was present in the arcade mode in D4 when you get a life. (like its pick up design being based off Wolf3d where it's Doomguy's head inside a sphere)
The reason why it won't work is probably because it's just a slightly altered megasphere and i can see it being annoying in toxic floors/lava sections where you can't come back to your progress.
But on the other hand, it could be a solution to death exits, even if it's a bad one and it's cheating.
I'd like to bring the Extra Life in in some form, it seems easy enough to emulate in GZDoom. The issue is how to place it in existing maps. Might have to be a CVar case, let the player decide...
whatup876 wrote:Also, crazier idea: being a mod about Doom, imagine an option to bring back aspects of OG Doom that are gone in defalt GZDoom.
Such as: wallrunning glitch, props not blocking projectiles and being able to UNF shootable walls without hearing the UNF.
Way too much work for no real gain. Pass.
Miru wrote:I also noticed that when I gibbed a Hellhound, a human skull came out (this also happened with the Malwrath). I think maybe you should look into adding in some more specific skulls for gibs. I really like the Cacodenon gibs, though.
I keep putting off more actor-specific gibs because there's a lot of different actors to dice up by this point. One day...
AvzinElkein

Re: MetaDoom v5.2 "Klave" (Artipatch! p101)

Post by AvzinElkein »

Um, looks like you still have not fixed the Hellhound melee bug.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

AvzinElkein wrote:Um, looks like you still have not fixed the Hellhound melee bug.
It's a bug in GZDoom 3.7.x, not in the mod. It's fixed in the GZDoom devbuilds, and it'll be fixed in the next stable release of GZDoom.
James Flasch

Post by James Flasch »

There is a bug preventing MetaDoom 5.1 & 5.2 from working with gzdoom-x64-g3.8pre-757-g0ed847b51.7z and (and any version later than March 23). These versions of GZDoom propduce a message saying "metadoom_v5.x_klave.pk3:zscript/metaintermission.zsc, line 109: Function drawLF attempts to override parent function without 'override' qualifier". The latest stable version of GZDoom (3.7.2) does not give that message. Apparently, it doesn't care about that error; the latest betas do, however, and therefore the next stable version might, so it really should be fixed.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

James Flasch wrote:There is a bug preventing MetaDoom 5.1 & 5.2 from working with gzdoom-x64-g3.8pre-757-g0ed847b51.7z and (and any version later than March 23). These versions of GZDoom propduce a message saying "metadoom_v5.x_klave.pk3:zscript/metaintermission.zsc, line 109: Function drawLF attempts to override parent function without 'override' qualifier". The latest stable version of GZDoom (3.7.2) does not give that message. Apparently, it doesn't care about that error; the latest betas do, however, and therefore the next stable version might, so it really should be fixed.
This should already be fixed in the Github dev build of MetaDoom. I appreciate the detailed report, though!
James Flasch

Post by James Flasch »

Just wanted to be sure you had the details. When is the next stable release expected?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

James Flasch wrote:Just wanted to be sure you had the details. When is the next stable release expected?
Probably put out a small bugfix release once the next proper release of GZDoom happens. After that, I'll probably start cleaning things up and generally making Sinister Plans for incorporating Doom Eternal things.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

v5.3 "Klave"
Tweaks, bug-fixes and improvements in preparations for the next build of GZDoom. And some un-improvements, but hey, it can't be helped.

Monster Changes:
- Switched most monster A_CustomMissile calls to A_SpawnProjectile, for general future-proofing purposes.

UI Changes:
- Temporarily disabled the mugshot and description on the Skill Level select screen - It looked buggy in GZDoom 4.0.0, and the BoA usage permissions seem to have changed since I last checked from "don't use stuff that isn't in an official release yet" to "not until episode 3 is out". Alas.
- Added Nash's tooltips system to the MetaDoom Options menu! (I'll make this look prettier later)

Other Changes:
- Replaced the impressive (yet gross) optional-replacement hack with GZDoom's CheckReplacement event handler to offload all the hard stuff to proper engine handling, hopefully reducing bugs.
- Removed some half-working intermission functions that prevented the mod from starting in GZDoom 4.0.0.
- Reworded options in MetaDoom Options to make more sense and to allow for expansion in some vague undefined future.
whatup876

Re: MetaDoom v5.3 "Klave" (Artipatched! p104)

Post by whatup876 »

Speaking of Eternal, i thought if the rocket launcher could have its sprites edited to have a skull attached to it, to reference its design in Eternal.
And if the Beholder could use the Eternal PE design but still painted green, so i guess his codex entry will imply he's from two different games.

But before then, i wonder what pre-Eternal stuff could be implemented.
D64's Mother Demon could be difficult but at least she could make D46FD2 and Consolation Prize a little bit more faithfull.
The Bruiser from RoE is still a cool looking monster that could work as an HK variant.
And we got the nazis from RTCW, 09 and Machinegames too i guess.

Edit: i'm surprised the soulsphere and megaspheres don't have their own codex entries too.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:But before then, i wonder what pre-Eternal stuff could be implemented.
D64's Mother Demon could be difficult but at least she could make D46FD2 and Consolation Prize a little bit more faithfull.
The Bruiser from RoE is still a cool looking monster that could work as an HK variant.
I have plans for a "Unique Bosses" CVar that makes certain monster spawners give different results on specific map numbers (so, for example, the Spiderdemon on E4M8 is replaced with the Mother Demon).

The last couple of Wolfenstein things will get done at some point, but they're fairly art-intensive for goofy Easter Egg things so the effort has always been better-placed elsewhere.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Another victory for CheckReplacement. :P
thewolfman00001

Post by thewolfman00001 »

As of now running MetaDoom with GZDoom 4.0.0 doesn't work. The mod crashes on start-up (edit: nevermind I didn't notice that there was a new version)
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

whatup876 wrote:Speaking of Eternal, i thought if the rocket launcher could have its sprites edited to have a skull attached to it, to reference its design in Eternal.
And if the Beholder could use the Eternal PE design but still painted green, so i guess his codex entry will imply he's from two different games.

Edit: i'm surprised the soulsphere and megaspheres don't have their own codex entries too.
Actually, i might add some other ideas now.
* the HK's have eyes in Eternal if that could inspire a possible sprite change.
* Maybe make the SSG have details from its new design. (i can also see the new alt fire being potentionally game breaking)
* Maybe the new attacks the enemies got could be applied to the mod like the Arachnotron or Spiborg having a second attack about dropping yellow bombs like the new incarnation of Arachno or one of the Caco's having that new attack.

Guess so far, stuff seems either not interesting enough or too crazy to fit and the mod is indeed pretty full on its own, so i thought aside from squeezing potentionally new stuff, we could revisit the current stuff.

I can also see the main menu's background changing, to reference the first level of Eternal.
Miru

Post by Miru »

whatup876 wrote:
whatup876 wrote:Speaking of Eternal, i thought if the rocket launcher could have its sprites edited to have a skull attached to it, to reference its design in Eternal.

Actually, i might add some other ideas now.
* the HK's have eyes in Eternal if that could inspire a possible sprite change.
* Maybe make the SSG have details from its new design. (i can also see the new alt fire being potentionally game breaking)
* Maybe the new attacks the enemies got could be applied to the mod like the Arachnotron or Spiborg having a second attack about dropping yellow bombs like the new incarnation of Arachno or one of the Caco's having that new attack.

Guess so far, stuff seems either not interesting enough or too crazy to fit and the mod is indeed pretty full on its own, so i thought aside from squeezing potentionally new stuff, we could revisit the current stuff.

I can also see the main menu's background changing, to reference the first level of Eternal.
I could see Spiborg using that bomb attack. Maybe we could have that secondary fire for SSG, but give it a drawback? And I agree about buffing the secondary fire of the rocket launcher to add the shrapnel effect.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I'm continuing to work on this, even though the all-consuming void of silence. I'm not sure whether this'll be another 5.x hotfix or the beginning of the next version, but there's movement at the station.

1.) New Player Sprite
The “MetaDoomGuy” (for lack of a better name) combines attributes from multiple DoomGuys of the past. Also, the Photoshop document I use to edit all the frames utterly annihilates my RAM. Seriously, it takes at least a couple of minutes to load and layer thumbnails don’t generate anymore. Bit of hassle for something like two people will see...

2.) ZScript Player Improvements
The "playerchunk" class has always had some really frustrating bugs when combined with the Bounce flags like how I want to use it. For one, the player's angle (which automatically turns towards the killer) resets every time it bounces. For another, the movement headbob doesn't change, meaning that the player's view constantly bobs forever! These have both been resolved. Again, I doubt many people will see this, but in this case it pissed me off super hard so this was more for myself than anyone else.

3.) Menu Tweaks
Nash's tooltips system was implemented in v5.3, but now it's way more legible and therefore useful. Th... that's cool with you, right?

4.) Code Overhauls
I've started the slow and frankly tedious task of hand-porting as much of the actor code as I can over to ZScript instead of being some gross DECORATE/ZScript chimera. The upside of this is that I'm fixing various bugs and generally modernising things as I go about it. This will hopefully allow for better extendability for fixing bugs and adding new stuff in the future. The downside of it is that basically none of this is visible to the player and also the semicolon key on my keyboard will likely break before I'm done.

Feel free to check out the Github master archive if you want to see how things have broken this week! I'd appreciate any and all bug reports! Or feedback in general! Or really, just any commentary on the mod at all. So lonely.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”