MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: MetaDoom v5.1 "Klave" (Artipatch! p98)

Post by Captain J »

About that SMM's big dead body that blocks the player's sight, maybe you should make its body explode to thin paste, avoiding such annoyance... Maybe this is going to be hard but yeah, i agree with this one.
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Quick bug report. idk if this is really anything that can be changed but if you shoot the EMG Sidearm while partially submerged in water or any liquid with a splash effect, the bullet AND all of the trail particles each make a trail effect. On top of that, if time happens to be frozen, they infinitely make more splash effects and stack, eventually causing ginormous frame drops.
https://imgur.com/a/YeHSLZd i got a picture here. I took it during time freeze to get a good look at the effect.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

snarkel wrote:Quick bug report. idk if this is really anything that can be changed but if you shoot the EMG Sidearm while partially submerged in water or any liquid with a splash effect, the bullet AND all of the trail particles each make a trail effect. On top of that, if time happens to be frozen, they infinitely make more splash effects and stack, eventually causing ginormous frame drops.
https://imgur.com/a/YeHSLZd i got a picture here. I took it during time freeze to get a good look at the effect.
Fixed for the Pistol, Unmaker, Lightning Gun, Rocket Launcher and Grenade Launcher. Thanks for the heads-up.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

It's too soon but has anyone speculated about Eternal content and how it could be used in the mod?

* Some alt fires for the weapons are just "altered" versions of existing alt fires and old school designs feel redundant for the mod. (as if they're already there)
* New SSG alt fire looks interesting but probably "map breaking".
* New Arachno also looked interesting but he'd be an Arachnotron with the Trite's unique feature. (although he can also throw arcing fireballs)
* Archvile and PE getting new designs could work for variants, with new PE being used for Beholder but still painted green to keep DRPG palette swap representation.
* The new winged species looks like it shoots acid (either a simple projectile or a "stream" of them) but i thought he also shoots them from multiple directions or dropped them from above.
* This winged creature feels like it could be a faster but less health Caco variant and a "flying" equivalent for imps and zombiemen. (or maybe to Cacos what the hellhounds are to Pinkies)
* That new Baron seems to be named "Fire Baron" according to its filename in the website: he could have a unique design where it's using an older Baron as a base to make him different from the current Baron but in terms of attacks, nothing new i guess.
* The "gore key" could be a variant for the skull key but it may look "unfitting" if someone uses skulls to fit a theme. (but this may not be a big deal)
* Maybe a fitfh collectible figure based on the new Eternal armor.
* The shoulder cannon seems to work quite like the mod's inventory, which means in some way, it's already there.
* The flamethrower reminds me of the dog gun but it makes enemies drop armor bonuses (that could exceed normal count) although i can see it being harder to execute, either in gameplay or even in terms of visuals.

Maybe it's just me being hyped for the game.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I have some ideas, but I'm not going to act on any of them until Eternal is closer to release. Until then, feel free to run each idea through this handy prediction tool a friend made shortly after the reveal.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Come to think of it, MetaDoom's concept sort of expanded on multiple areas: weapons, enemies, items, effects and even on playable characters/Doomguy's designs with the gender based portraits and the mini figures.
One area that it may not have expanded on is levels and mapping, probably because gameplay themed maps as a whole is either hard, rare or never happens.

But at least it's fun to imagine and speculate ideas, be it content being used to represent parts of the series and ideas, the amount of textures, props, areas and things to reference, easter eggs and maybe just original areas that just try to feel like Doom. (sort of like The Way Id Did)

So i guess this could serve as a potential idea list.

* Phobos? you got Knee Deep in the Dead, Doom 64 (at least i believe it took place there) and the new area in Eternal with the BFG10K. (and maybe a bit of the Doom bible)
* Doom 3's dark corridors mixed with D64's techbases and that computer maze from E1M2.
* Some of the props include stuff that make areas feel a bit more "real" like tables, televisions or even bathrooms.
* Despite later games introducing a variety of props and objects to make levels look nice, they still had some walls/floors/ceilings lacking a bit in terms of color, compared to D1/2/Final/64 textures.
* Tei Tenga area with pre-release/cut Doom stuff.
* Some warehouse level taking inspiration from E2M2, some areas from D3/4, NRFTL and maybe that one TNT level with the truck.
* A Plutonia level taking place in a jungle-like area, with something to reference that cancelled D64 level with the Mayan pyramid.
* Flesh, bone and organs were a noticeable aspect of Doom, from some of classic hell levels, to the gore nests in D4, to that one MP map. (Boneyard)
* Hell in general had a variety of material since Doom 1/2, so i guess the material from other versions of hell can help to make it more abstract.
* Hell on Earth could be represented with Doom 2, a little bit of Plutonia, the cancelled Doom 4 and Eternal.
* Something to do with being cold and blue. (D64's In The Void, that ice level in D4)
* D64 meets PS1 Doom and maybe some other ports.
* Master Levels for D2 representation. (Blacktower meets Tower of Babel or Argent tower, Bloodsea Keep meets PS1 Mansion and some of D64's aesthetic, PS1 Final Doom port and MLfD2 both had some exclusive "night" skyboxes)
* Whatever can help to make the RPG/mobile games be represented.
* I think someone once thought of Doom 3's Mars city to mix with Doom 2's second level.
* "non-linear keyhunt inspired by doom 4 foundry with elements of doom e2 and doom1 map09"
* "spiderfest blending doom3 alpha labs and doom2 map26"
* Outdoor areas inspired by D3/4. (no oxygen limit this time)
* Something involving the TNT Pharaoh level and Plutona's Go 2 It.
* Knight Sentinel related areas mixed with D3's ancient Martian temples. (obligatory use of that one doom cover mock up with the soulcube)
* Dead Simple could be mixed with official Doom levels/areas that were technically based on Dead Simple. (it's probably one of the most cloned Doom levels)
* Plutonia map 29 could work for Hell on Earth representation while Plutona map 28 could mix with Doom 2's second level or anything to do with sewers.
* A level about some mapping tricks like Plutonia's invisible bridge, that Plutonia floating cube in map 06 and some weird Doom 64 mapping stuff.
* E2M8 mixed with D64's Watch Your Step while E3M8 could use those flesh pillars from D4's Spiderdemon boss fight.
* Both Doom 3 and 4 had lab areas where demon bodies were put inside those jars. (potential jumpscare easter egg)
* Use of hologram stuff, like either just things with text/signs or those UAC dudes talking about the company and its history.
* Whatever the level for the Baron duo boss fight could be.
* 3DO music being used.
* Whatever can be done with Wolfenstein 3D, pre Wolf id software and PS1's Club Doom.

Another long list of ideas, some of them not even mine.

Sorry, i just felt like thinking about stuff again.

Anyway, hoping Doom Eternal brings back the Icon of Sin.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Planning a minor update for some time in a few days. Among all the previously-mentioned visibility/optimisation stuff, I've sped up the Machine Gun's primary fire by exactly one tic. Curious to see how that affects perceptions of its power...

Outside of that, I'd like to hear your gripes and bugs so I can try and address some of them before release.
Niphura

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Post by Niphura »

Kinsie wrote:The Codex has been merged in after much hard work by DrPySpy. Give him a round of applause!
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/CJvL74sl.jpg[/imgur]
Give a devbuild a kick-around and let me know if there's any bugs.
I've seen that codex system before in a different thread (or could had been another similar thing) but i don't remember where, someone said that it looked like netricsa from serious sam. Someone knows what thread was?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

It's about 30 minutes early or whatever in my timezone, but MetaDoom v5.2 is now available.

Changelog wrote:Some minor tweaks, fixes and optimisations to celebrate a less-than-minor milestone - Happy quarter-century, Doom!

Performance Improvements:
  • The Unwilling now have a toned-down gib effect, reducing the amount of debris generated in Arch-Vile heavy maps.
  • Gibs now respect the Blood fade times CVar, mopping up your carnage and reducing your gratification severely. Blame the slaughtermap fans.
  • Fixed certain weapons (Pistol, Unmaker, Lightning Gun, Rocket and Grenade Launchers) spawmming water splashes when fired in a certain partially-submerged position. Very specific, I know.
Visibility Improvements:
  • The death animations of the Wretched, Malwraith, Cyber-Mancubus and Spiderdemon have been tweaked to improve visibility, with varying degrees of skill.
  • The Spiderdemon has been scaled down a little bit to hopefully further improve visibility around its corpse while still looking imposing.
  • Spiderdemon corpses now also turn slightly transparent when a player is near, to further reduce visibility issues.

Weapon Changes:
  • Sped up Machinegun primary fire by exactly one tic.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MetaDoom v5.2 "Klave" (Artipatch! p101)

Post by namsan »

Thanks for the update, I will test it.
SwiftFunk
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SwiftFunk »

Found a bug: Standing on the very edge of a platform over a liquid without standing in the liquid still gives you holy water as if you were standing in the liquid.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I think at some point i thought of a trailer idea, which is a recreation of Doom 4's credits but with slow motion MetaDoom footage and the texts being the credits list for the mod.

Another one i had is some sort of montage with short clips from Doom related ads/commercials. (that one live action trailer for D4, the Atari one with a priest, a japanese one for D64 with a shotgun, the "it will consume you" one for Doom 2, that trailer for the SNES port where some guy is alone in a dark area and some more)
SwiftFunk wrote:Found a bug: Standing on the very edge of a platform over a liquid without standing in the liquid still gives you holy water as if you were standing in the liquid.
I never thought of that as a bug and thought it was usefull with toxic liquids.
Unless you're bringing up when a platform is way too high from the liquid.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

SwiftFunk wrote:Found a bug: Standing on the very edge of a platform over a liquid without standing in the liquid still gives you holy water as if you were standing in the liquid.
This is due to the fairly literal way the code is written (Are you standing on something? Is one of these textures under the player actor's center?). It could probably be fixed with a bunch of messing around, but I don't think it would be a positive change. Also, nobody would notice since I don't think anybody even still plays this mod, as noted by people who repeatedly requested bugfixes/changes never even reacting to those changes being added after much fiddling. Hell, a "thank you" would be nice...
whatup876 wrote:I think at some point i thought of a trailer idea, which is a recreation of Doom 4's credits but with slow motion MetaDoom footage and the texts being the credits list for the mod.

Another one i had is some sort of montage with short clips from Doom related ads/commercials. (that one live action trailer for D4, the Atari one with a priest, a japanese one for D64 with a shotgun, the "it will consume you" one for Doom 2, that trailer for the SNES port where some guy is alone in a dark area and some more)
I think I've got the pointless trailer videos on lock here, thanks.
SwiftFunk
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SwiftFunk »

Makes sense now. Great mod by the way, having lots of fun with it!
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

"Also, nobody would notice since I don't think anybody even still plays this mod, as noted by people who repeatedly requested bugfixes/changes never even reacting to those changes being added after much fiddling. Hell, a "thank you" would be nice..."

Your mod is very good, I do not believe people do not play, anyway here is a THANK YOU friend. :D :thumb:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”