MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: MetaDoom v5.666 "Klave EX" (Testing Help Wanted! p112)

Post by Captain J »

Well, yeah. Obviously. Time is plenty, so might as well we wait until Doom Eternal comes out!

But i'm wondering, if the game is released and you actually played it, are you going to add eternal weapons, items and monsters to the main mod? Or just release them as an addon?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Captain J wrote:Well, yeah. Obviously. Time is plenty, so might as well we wait until Doom Eternal comes out!

But i'm wondering, if the game is released and you actually played it, are you going to add eternal weapons, items and monsters to the main mod? Or just release them as an addon?
Any Eternal additions will be part of the mod itself.
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

That Harbinger looks awesome! I cant wait to fight it and see what other deep cuts you put in on V6. The Doom Eternal stuff is also exciting to look forward to. Best of luck on the rest of the road to V6 Kinsie. I'm super excited for it.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Yeah, i should have remembered that post.
But something else to bring up is wiki documentation for when the game is out, since not everyone can be on Decino levels of analyzing gameplay stuff and i remember the Doomwiki not bringing up how the Heat Blast could affect every direction around the player and how 2016's Caco's projectile could blur the vision. (something i thought would fit the wiki was dedicated videos like the ones in the official TF2 wiki but that's another topic)
In fact, MetaDoom itself might as well have more documentation of the RPG series than the Doomwiki itself.

There's also the future DLC campaigns planned for Eternal, which means there's going to be more content in the future but none of that is even known at all yet.

But yeah, a keen eye will be needed to understand what can or cannot work in MetaDoom, while looking for ideas out of Eternal.
Spoiler:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, yeah, I know, nobody makes maps for gameplay mods, but I still should have done this literal years ago.

whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

The Hell Razer's red beam (the one before the actual attack) can instakill the player's dog gun.

Anyway, that mapping thing with indiviual placements sounds great.
Spoiler:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:The Hell Razer's red beam (the one before the actual attack) can instakill the player's dog gun.
Fixed, thanks for the heads-up.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Also, while at it, wouldn't creating a keybind for the soul cube make more sense if it didn't show up first when pressing 7/being the first of its slot?
One reason why i kept suggesting "make BFG/Chainsaw show up first" was due to the "half vanilla Doom-like purity" aspect of the mod.
It's one of those ideas that i think can improve gameplay on a great level and it could make some people complain less.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

I must say after coming to the mod again after a year of not really doing much of anything with it, besides get bored oof, I am starting to like this mod a bit again in some ways.
But yeesh I have a couple of problems when it comes to maybe coming to hoping to making 2 balance suggestions if that is fine and that if you had not already did something about them anyways.

One thing I have is maybe make the shield wall passable for the player? Maybe? Make the wall wider since for as long as it lasts as an item the wall sure does not really seem cash money when it only will help at a choke point at a 1-man door for a very small coverage at a 7 second time use. And also maybe make the shield slowly flicker a bit to show it is about to wear out so you can be ready to place another shield by then.
Also another suggestion I have is nerf the soul cube pick ups. Make them less often of a drop by far or some other nerfs as well, because when I play the mod on maps it feels like a dumpster overflow of ammo by the time I kill the stronger enemies over and over with it AND when I already have a good supply on said map anyways. I want it to be rewarding and as an emergency to use it, not a skittle-fest on the ground WHEN I care to use it (not much since the Doom 2 maps have like good ammo in the first place).
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Starman the Blaziken wrote:One thing I have is maybe make the shield wall passable for the player? Maybe?
Done.

As for your other suggestions, I wouldn't mind hearing other players' thoughts on them.
sotenga

Post by sotenga »

Holy crap, I just thought of something. What if the Grabber from Resurrection of Evil was included somehow? Just a thought, but if that's too impractical to code, then no worries, and I apologize if it's been brought up before. I also wonder if stuff from either of the two movies can be added... or even Doom VFR, unless that offers nothing different from Doom 2016. Whatever the case, I'll crack into the devbuild soon if I get time and let you know what I think!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

sotenga wrote:I also wonder if stuff from either of the two movies can be added...
It occurs to me, one could alter the Doom 3-like machine gun to have that red stripe down the length of it, like in the P90 on the movie poster.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Also another suggestion I have is nerf the soul cube pick ups. Make them less often of a drop by far or some other nerfs as well, because when I play the mod on maps it feels like a dumpster overflow of ammo by the time I kill the stronger enemies over and over with it AND when I already have a good supply on said map anyways. I want it to be rewarding and as an emergency to use it, not a skittle-fest on the ground WHEN I care to use it (not much since the Doom 2 maps have like good ammo in the first place).
The soul cube being nerfed would make sense if it wasn't for the "ammo wastage" issue that most players of the mod i heard had.
It might as well make up for wasting a lot of ammo than usual in some maps.

I've even brought it up here.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=53010&start=1650#p1133223

Althought this mod now is made so mappers can make maps dedicated to the mod, creating a lot of possibilities.
Smashhacker

Post by Smashhacker »

So since gameplay footage for the Marauder in Doom Eternal has recently came out, would he be the perfect candidate to duct tape Deathmatch Simulator AI onto MetaDoom?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I have some unique ideas for the Marauder... but as with all such things, those are gonna have to wait until we live in a post-Eternal world.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”