MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Removed)

Postby insightguy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 am

Kyotra wrote:Yet another modding community about to get ruined over asshurt when no one even profits from these things.

I kinda get why the mods are doing this and all. Asset ripping of new games was an issue before but then when ion maden came out, some users began saying "WOHOO NEW RESOURCES!" rather than "WOHOO A GAME MADE BY ONE OF THE COMMUNITY MEMBERS!". That kinda broke the camel's back.

I just hate it that mods like D4T, this one or even Argent is getting messed over because of this. (Do doom 2016 "resources" even count? most of the resources are traced over 3D models and recolored, surely there is some level of fair use when it comes to editing the stuff.)
^HEY! My avatar is up there^

Postby Rachael » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 am

Kyotra wrote:Yet another modding community about to get ruined over asshurt when no one even profits from these things.

That "no profit" bit doesn't matter. Are you sure it's not just YOU getting asshurt over this whole thing?

We're not trying to be unreasonable here. As insightguy pointed out, those "yay new resources" posts appeared literally the day Ion Maiden was announced, and attracted several "what in the goddamn fuck?" reactions. Especially given that a lot of the development team is "one of our own" so to speak.

I plan to talk w/ Voidpoint and 3D Realms over this issue and see how they feel about it, and to see if we can negotiate what is most appropriate for a balance between community building and developer respect.

That being said, Bathesda is not too strict about resource usage. As long as you're not trying to impersonate their IP's directly, they're not too uptight about how resources are used, particularly D4D, D4T, Argent, etc. And I imagine MetaDoom and JPF are no exception. We're going to try and come up with something that's fair for everyone, and should allow Kinsie's mods here to thrive, and find a solution everyone will be happy with.
QZDoom Project Lead + Webmaster

Postby Kyotra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 pm

I was a bit angry and wrote out something in a rush, since I've seen squabbles over "rights" turn mod communities into no-fun zones.

I'm in agreement that there needs to be a certain degree of respect shown here, even if I'm not surprised in the slightest at how people reacted to this (it's human nature). Hell the first thought I had was how cool porting that character into a Samsara-type mod would be so I could run around in megaWADs. It's not out of disrespect, people just love thinking of the possibilities and everything is a Lego piece to them, rules be damned. This is then followed by the second thought that yes, you should give the game a chance to succeed and profit before taking away its spotlight, or you'll never get the chance to get to see this team make more cool shit.

A big thing on this forum is the trust members have built between each other, making sure to ask permission to use and credit resources. I understand this is the biggest issue that would piss people off.

I'm not fond of the draconian DMCA and how it kills transformative works, or how the concept of copyright in general is used to stifle other people's freedom of expression when no one is deliberately trying to damage the reputation of or profit off the work of others. Copyright infringement should be proven in the same manner as slander, but instead it's treated like theft--something completely ridiculous when the thing being "stolen" is an idea. So that's my stance on that, and why I'm not as super pissed about this as others.

I don't want to get further off topic so I'm just going to leave it at this, I'm sure you guys will work something out that respects the Ion Maiden team while not hurting the ZDoom community.

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Postby Kinsie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Crippling paranoia assuaged, links restored. Sort of. There might be an extra click or two involved, since I'm still fiddling with the shiny new website that isn't just a PHP redirect to this thread, and the download link on that site might change back to Google Drive or whatever, bandwidth pending.
Glarepokes (thx Kura-san!)
Discord: Find Me

Return to Gameplay Mods