[WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [1.1] updated 4/2021

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k +

Post by Captain J »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:i wonder if the hud is out?
You mean this HUD?
zrrion the insect wrote:Image
I think it's already exists in the mod? Try to shrink the HUD in game.
ThrashfanBert1994

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k + [0.2]

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

yea that one
Captain J

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k + [0.2]

Post by Captain J »

Then there's your answer! It's already implemented in the mod and it's yours when downloaded!
zrrion the insect

Re: [WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [0.3]

Post by zrrion the insect »

64k+ has updated to 0.3!

Here's what you can expect
  • A handful of miscellaneous new sprites(?)
  • XDeath gore now mostly sticks to the blood color of the monster that dies, except for like 4 spurts of blood that are giving me a hard time
  • Hitscan weapons have conical spread
  • Miscellaneous tweaks
  • Toggle-able enemy behavior changes have been added. Currently this only changes the mancubus, but other changes are planned
  • Chainsaw has 2 blades, smoother idle animation, and exhaust smoke. Damage has not changed.
  • pistol sprites have changed
  • pistol/chaingun damage tweaked
  • A lot of projectiles have trails/particles
It is at this point where I am unsure where to go with the project, as I have received little feedback to guide me and I am pretty much at the end of the todo list. Apart from a few optional tweaks to enemy behavior, the project is nearing its completion. This means that the next update will probably be v1.0 and also the final version.
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someone64

Re: Re: [WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [0.3]

Post by Someone64 »

For the plasma rifle thing, maybe make the projectiles a lot slower but a lot stronger with slightly slower fire rate and uses 2 ammo per shot?
zrrion the insect

The chaingun's main strength over the plasma gun is that it is faster, and the drawback to the chaingun is that it is weaker and less accurate, so playing up that difference on the plasma gun's end might make for an interesting weapon. I'll have to play around with it and see what works out.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Brilliant update! But oookay, i think it has some glitches to talk about;
- Shotgun, Chaingun and Super Shotgun doesn't work when fired and the console says; VM Execution Aborted: Invalid Self Pointer.
- Imp, Cacodemon, Mancubus and BFG's fancy projectile has no-decal™.
- The item spinning is doesn't make sense to me; it's just paper-flat sprite spinning around. Intentional? Would be nice if it's some kind of voxel model.

Anyway i use GZdoom version g2.3pre-232-g96437d9. What has to be the problem?
zrrion the insect

Captain J wrote:Brilliant update! But oookay, i think it has some glitches to talk about;
- Shotgun, Chaingun and Super Shotgun doesn't work when fired and the console says; VM Execution Aborted: Invalid Self Pointer.
- Imp, Cacodemon, Mancubus and BFG's fancy projectile has no-decal™.
- The item spinning is doesn't make sense to me; it's just paper-flat sprite spinning around. Intentional? Would be nice if it's some kind of voxel model.
I keep forgetting that people use decals :oops: that'll be an easy fix. The other error looked like it was caused by a change in one of the newer dev builds. Should be pretty easy to fix as well, but I'll check it out.
EDIT: the change with the way weapons handle user variables is causing problems. Neither user_foo = 0 nor A_SetUserVar("user_bar",0) work. I'm using gzdoom 2.2.0 and it works fine there though.
The thin sprites are intentional, and since voxels are not fun to work with, so I have no intention of replacing the flat sprites.
zrrion the insect

I've stripped the user vars out and replaced them with ARGs. I should have a fix out later today to address the issues cap j mentioned.
zrrion the insect

Re: [WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [0.3.1]

This is mostly a bugfix thing, so there isn't a whole lot in this update.
  • Hitscan weapons now actually work as intended
  • Shotgun idle sprites have been touched up
  • The chainsaw will make things drop health/armor if you use it while you have a berserker pack. No damage increase though
  • Cyberdemon has a behavioral change if you play with that setting on
  • Plasma gun and arachnotron projectiles have a trail
  • Tweaked the recoil and lighting of some weapons
  • the Plasmagun's projectiles start out slow and increase in speed as they go. No change for arachnotron plasma
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Nice idea you got there! I like how you try to stick as close to the original gameplay as possible. A few comments:

Unless you are going to replace the weapon sprites with voxels, I do not think it is a good idea to have them rotating.

Also, could you use a "meatier" sound for the fist impact? The current one is kind of underwhelming and sounds like I am hitting a sheet of paper.

Do you have plans to implement smart health and smart armour system?

Finally, do you plan to add compatibility with The Ultimate Doom?
zrrion the insect

Re: Re: [WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [0.3.1]

The reason the weapons/items/whatever spin when dropped is because it increases visibility of the items dropped so that players can more easily tell what resources have been added to an encounter when things drop. Essentially it makes them easier to see. I won't be switching to voxels with these because some of the sprites don't exactly translate well into voxels (pretty much anything that isn't a box.) I might at some point add a 1 voxel thick version of all the pickups (similar to how minecraft does dropped items) but that'd be the end of it.

I can probably get a different fist sound in there, I'll have to see what works on that.

Smart health and armor might be something I do, but since there aren't too many types of armor there really isn't much to work with there. Health would probably only apply to medikits and stimpacks, not berserker packs. Ammo, since all the big pickups were essentially small crates of the smaller one made sense to have smart pickup of those, Health comes in boxex as well, so that logically follows the same track as ammo, but armor doesn't, and I might be able to add smaller armor items (like armor shards?) If I find/make sprites that I like.

Unless I am mistaken this is already compatible with Ultimate Doom. I've been playing through a few mappsets with it and haven't noticed anything breaking.
EDIT: I just played through all of E1 with it and it played fine. you should be good to go.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

zrrion the insect wrote:The reason the weapons/items/whatever spin when dropped is because it increases visibility of the items dropped so that players can more easily tell what resources have been added to an encounter when things drop. Essentially it makes them easier to see. I won't be switching to voxels with these because some of the sprites don't exactly translate well into voxels (pretty much anything that isn't a box.) I might at some point add a 1 voxel thick version of all the pickups (similar to how minecraft does dropped items) but that'd be the end of it.
Hmm, yeah. I get the point now. But can you at least make it more visible when they rotated left or right? Because i feels like they gets disappearing when they rotates. Like this;
Screenshot_Doom_20161029_141233.PNG
So yeah, 1 tick voxel thick would be great.

Anyway the weapons are finally working now. Thanks!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Odd. I could load the mod with Doom II, but not with Ultimate Doom. Then I updated those two with GZDoom 2.2 and it fixed my issue.
zrrion the insect

I'm currently working on a feature that lets the player select from a few different teleportfog variants in case they like them better/the teleportfog looks better in the level you're playing. I currently have the default doom one, archvile fire, and a blood-cloud thing. What other variants would people like to see in the mod?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”