[Weapon Mod] Mixed Tape Vol.3 (Released!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Weapon Mod] Mixed Tape Vol.3 (Released!)

Post by Ed the Bat »

It sounds like railattacks will be on us. Collectively, as in the modders at large. Not specifically you and I, although I personally very much need it, and I have a feeling I may have to fumble through some of it myself to make it come to life. Anyway, if I happen to be the one to find a way, I'll pass it along here ASAP.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ed the Bat wrote:It sounds like railattacks will be on us. Collectively, as in the modders at large. Not specifically you and I, although I personally very much need it, and I have a feeling I may have to fumble through some of it myself to make it come to life. Anyway, if I happen to be the one to find a way, I'll pass it along here ASAP.
Well, as an alternative, I wouldn't be opposed to changing the Tri-laser's behavior to (very) fast projectiles with long trails, as long as that doesn't have the same side-effect. It might make it look nicer in the process, too.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ah, like your tracer rounds in Nazis, Terrorists, etc.? It'll certainly look different, but based on personal tastes, it might look better.

I use my rails as piercing alternatives to hitscans. I don't use ripper projectiles for that, mainly because even a ripper will be stopped by a nonshootable actor, like the trees and other various props in Doom. Hitscans go through those, so if my piercing shots can't, then that's a pretty crappy piercer. If you're not bothered with your lasers being stopped by props, then you have much less to worry about than I do.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I've pushed another small update: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/766 ... mixed3b.7z

This one does not make any real changes to the mod itself, but it does fix a sprite name conflict with Colorful Hell 0.88 where the hand grenades would look like Firemace balls.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

A slightly more major release has been posted. Work has not yet begun on the planned "B-side" but I have added a handful of much-requested new features.

- The shotgun shell ammo types now randomly choose between respectively-sized variants of shell and .30-06 ammo. The Doom 1 filters have been updated to suit.
- The Tri-Laser Cannon now fires FastProjectile bullets instead of railgun attacks. As a result, it now supports autoaim. Altfire now sounds different from primary fire and the credits have been updated to suit.
- The Disposable Pistol's projectiles now make new impact sounds. The credits have been updated to suit.
- Armor bonuses, when not spawning hand grenades, now spawn empty water bottles that increase how much water you can carry by 1 unit per bottle. As a result of this change, the player now starts with a max water of only 20, instead of 50. (Thanks to Graf, Xaser, and Ed the Bat for helping with the code.) There are also new pickup sounds, with the credits updated to suit.
- Barrels can now be placed back on the ground with the Barrel-Sucker by pressing Reload.
- Some other mild changes that I probably forgot about.

Download it here. Please let me know if you detect the Tri-Laser's damage suddenly not being right; I tried to keep it as it was, but I can't remember if putting parentheses around the Damage number actually works or not. Any other bug reports and balance suggestions are also welcomed.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

This is a very mild update that comes with some news. I can't remember at all what's different about it aside from perhaps some extra hand graphics being added that are likely not being used at all.

The news is that the "angled weapons" update I'd planned is not going to happen to this mod. I looked into how Final Doomer handled multi-class pickups, and it's just too much for what this mod's purpose is, and I'd rather leave that to Final Doomer anyway. What will happen instead: the angled weapons update will instead become its own mod entirely, which will leave me more free to mess with ammo balance and auxiliary features. I'm tentatively referring to that as "Mixed Tape Vol.4" and will create a thread for that when it is more fleshed out. At the moment I've pretty much only brought in random guns from Cold Hard Cash 2 and Weasel Presents Terrorists with no regard to balance or placement. And, of course, this mod's existence largely depends on my actually having any motivation to do anything.

So the above is the final release.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

wildweasel wrote:I looked into how Final Doomer handled multi-class pickups, and it's just too much for what this mod's purpose is, and I'd rather leave that to Final Doomer anyway.
Honestly, all it does is check for an item a class starts with, and jumps to a state with the gun for that class. It might look terrifying, but the basics of it is just that.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry for bumping. As stated, this is the final release, but I have a small suggestion. AFAIK the 9mm SMG does not feature in Doom 1, as it's only dropped by chaingunners. Maybe make it a Randomspawner or make it check the Player's inventory so it will spawn a 9mm SMG first and the PPSh-41 afterwards?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

No intention to fix. Both of the Doom 2-exclusive weapons share ammo with weapons that can be found in Doom 1, so ammo isn't useless. Beyond that, no plans to change.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

On a side note: I don't know if this is intentional, but the weapon recoil makes the view stutter when turning sideways, much like in Nash's QuakeTilt Mod. It can be fixed by either enabling smooth mouse movement (which I tend to avoid, as it creates input lag) or removing every instance of the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag from A_SetPitch.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”