[Weapon Mod] Mixed Tape Vol.3 (Released!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cryomundus

Re: [Weapon Mod] Mixed Tape Vol.3 (Released!)

Post by Cryomundus »

Yeah, that's kinda why I suggested the explosive alt-fire for the disposable pistol. Mappers intend for you to have something explode-y to deal with stuff, and in this, you kinda need RNG to be on your side, which it almost never is. Or, at least it never feels like it is.

Also, 1 panzerfaust in place of 5 rockets is kinda...eh. You get 1 nice boom for a maybe a crowd or a strong opponent, but that's about it. It's making me do the annoying JRPG thing where you get a 1 use item and you wind up hoarding it the entire game because you might really need it later on. Kinda makes it forgettable, really.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Cryomundus wrote:It's making me do the annoying JRPG thing where you get a 1 use item and you wind up hoarding it the entire game because you might really need it later on. Kinda makes it forgettable, really.
Well, crap. That means I've fallen into the Duke 3D/Shadow Warrior trap, discouraging the players from using the bigger guns by way of ammo availability.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

What a rich script-mixed cocktail you made there(i know it's about the tape, but calling it as cocktail seems describes well and calming. well, to me.)! Gave it a try and hell, it's so savory, it made me keep playing this!
Spoiler: And yet, here's of my tasteless mixed gripes
And my gripes are finished. Anyway barrel-sucker is one fine and hilarious weapon. It made me laugh when i sucked the zombiemen with this to death. Not kidding, it's dead hilarious for some reason.

Anyway good mod from you as always, and thank you so much for using my sprites as well! I might donate some fixes and sprites for you later!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Those grenades actually feel surprisingly good to use. Just enough bounce to get them where you want, without losing control, and the fact that they just stick once they stop helps a lot too. I've been able to throw one right in the middle of a group of and kill everything pretty smoothly.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Captain J wrote:- Disposable plasma pistol does not have explosive damage when it's thrown. I know it's powerful as it is, but would be a delicate touch if it happens.
It does have explosive damage, just not very much of it. I did buff it considerably from what it was, but as it stands you're still rather lucky if you manage to kill a zombie with a thrown gun. (I suppose it's a bragging-rights thing, like killing someone with a smoke grenade in Counter-Strike.)
Captain J wrote:- M1 Garand uses the Gew46 sprite from your Nazis mod. It says Garand, but still it's a gew46 to me. Without bolt. If you mind to replace it into real one, i'm pretty sure Carbine Dioxide made the centered one except it's all monochrome. Also Sgt. Shivers made one as well.
That sprite actually was a Garand to begin with, in that form. I briefly pretended it was a G43, before replacing the sight and stitching some bits from other sprites to make it better resemble the real G43.
Captain J wrote:- M1 Garand's clip plays Chink-! Sound twice; On the air, on the ground. Can we have clip bouncing and ejecting sound effect separated? That would be less simple.
That'd involve more effort on my part than I felt like using.
Captain J wrote:- Double shotgun from shotgun guy gives you very few ammo. That would let Boomstick lovers down.
I found that, with the typical 4 shells per drop, the player was absolutely overflowing with shotgun shells, especially once the other weapons started making appearances.
Captain J wrote:- 9mm SMG's discarded magazine disappears when it's ejected, even though it shows you discarding it visually. Now that's some quite interesting technology!
Didn't feel like adding dropped clip effects.
Captain J wrote:- Hand grenade's projectile is much bigger than the pickup one. And explodes largely.
Explosion is intentional. I didn't really compare the projectile size to the pickup size, so maybe that is a mistake on my part.
Captain J wrote:- Panzerfaust's discarded shell doesn't plays bouncing sound at all.
Didn't feel like finding a sound for it.
Captain J wrote:- Tri-laser cannon doesn't shows muzzle flash when it's fired.
There wasn't one on the sprite when I found it, and I didn't feel like adding one - it's a laser, they don't tend to have plumes of fire bursting out the lens. =P
Captain J wrote:- 12 Gauge Autocannon's first person magazine seems short and underwhelming. How about stretch it more? Also i think snarboo made drum version magazine as well.
The magazine Snarboo drew is quite a bit longer than what I wound up using, but I felt like it looked wrong with it sticking out that far. It messed with the balance of the sprite.
Captain J wrote:- Barrel-sucker's altfire puff makes decal for no reason, it seems.
Something I could have fixed that I never really got around to.
Captain J wrote:- And this one's suggestion; Since secret sounds are mixed, how about make exit sound mixed and randomized as well?
I find you don't really hear that sound clearly enough to bother. Maybe I could slap in the "mission complete" sounds from ww-drla-sounds as DSSGCOCK replacements for the intermission screen, but the secret sounds ballooned the file size of the mod enough, plus...y'know...effort.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: Goodly mixed replies
Understood, WW. Anyway i might donate some sprites regardless. or fan doodle, if possible. I've got a good idea juuust right.
IamInnocent

Post by IamInnocent »

Sick mod you got there. Played with it and the game rings a bell of nostalgia towards my slaughterfest instincts. However the ammo runs out pretty quickly (Played with map of chaos) and the reload animation is not up to my tempo, (I've been playing mods for Brutal DOOM these days.)

I know this review is kinda biased on my taste, so mind recommending me some maps to play with?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

fixformixtape.PNG
Aaaand there we go, See? I'm not lying! Anyway i'm sorry if i look like a suggestive bigot, but i love to help when there's stuff i really like and this is not a force suggestion that you should implement them to the mod, or anything. If you just feel like it, go ahead!

Oh, also i was about to post it as an addon, but making it into resource file was easier. And yet, this thread is made and for you, right? so!
Fixformixtape pack.zip
(227.64 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Spoiler: And here's the changes
And about the fan-doodle, wait and see.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

wildweasel wrote:This weapon was originally named the "Sterling Arms ISIS" as a reference to the television series "Archer," but I removed it, because Certain Assholes (on a global scale) decided to ruin the name. Fuck those guys.
Hah - I had a weapon design for R&D with the fictional manufacturer "Isis" - while I do love the absolute shit out of Archer, it was actually named after my kickass forever puppy (who, sadly, isn't here anymore), but the first response I got was basically "but what if people think it's named after Certain Assholes?". Also, gotta use "Sterling Arms" at some point - isn't it a real weapons manufacturer, though?

Anyway, gotta try this - these mods ought to come with some sort of Nintendo-esque "wildweasel Seal of Quality". Adding the mid-magazine reload realism touch for the M1 was heartwarming.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Ah, I enjoy a good mixtape, so I've good high expectations for this one. :D
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Gideon020 wrote:Ah, I enjoy a good mixtape, so I've good high expectations for this one. :D
Play it with a Megawad, its far better for continous play than it is for pistol starts.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

for instance, It made me laff a lot to play it with the How the Hamburglar Stole Christmas!
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

is it weird that I sat through the trailer and lost it at the mouths and the text-to-speech at the very beginning?

like I can't decide whether it's adorable or hilarious omg
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Almonds wrote:is it weird that I sat through the trailer and lost it at the mouths and the text-to-speech at the very beginning?

like I can't decide whether it's adorable or hilarious omg
All in the name of spending as little effort as possible, heh. I wanted to do the Clutch Cargo effect but couldn't figure out how to do that without a camera.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Almonds wrote:like I can't decide whether it's adorable or hilarious omg
To me, it's like

Anyway at least you could cut the mouth part one by one from the mouth talking video if you recorded it and gather them and make a gif and there you go. Better than cartoon lip talking.
Last edited by Captain J on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”