[Released] Brutal Russian Overkill

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valken

Re: [Released] Brutal Russian Overkill

Post by Valken »

Hi Redem,

Just another bug report in case others have problems. So I tracked down the slow bug.

PB + ROK + BIG maps like Doomone, Memorial, DOR... the game would tank the FPS hard on start vs PB or ROK only, with the big maps.

But this time I loaded UDV 2.12B - Ultimate Doom Visor as well and same thing. Maybe worst due to the HUD showing the monster health bars.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... ki113r-v51

So just for testing, I turned on the UDV Movement Scanner - aka Aliens type RADAR - As soon as I turned this on, FPS jumped back up to near normal!!! I cycle through all the scanner modes until off and FPS stays very good.

Now a new bug - no monsters show up on the UDV Movement Scanner. Its blank in all modes (local, movement, full scanning) yet the FPS returned. Seems ROK changed something?

So on large maps, PB + ROK is tracking all the monsters at game start. You can really see this with Memorial. Can barely move on that map.

I rather have a broken scanner with high FPS than bad FPS and working scanner...

More testing...
Last edited by Valken on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redem

Post by Redem »

Interesting. I suspected that some RO script causes bad FPS, and maybe you just found it.
The RO has a modified computer map that has an entity sensor (it detects everything that moves, even torches). Maybe the script that runs it consumes such huge amounts of CPU time.
For some reason, starting memorial with PB causes camera to spin like crazy immediately at the start of the level so for me its impossible to test it with PB (fps is around 11). It works with RO though.
I'll try updating PB to the latest version, maybe it'll help and make PB on memorial (and, possibly other huge maps) at least playable but for next month I'll be busy so work will proceed slowly.
Valken

Post by Valken »

I wanted to report an update:

I rebooted my system and retested BROK PB+ROK+UDV+Doomone/Memorial and the dreaded performance drop came back. However the scanner was working now properly impacted FPS further (as it normally does). Performance did not last though I did made an observation after I loaded a save game from the above post with Doomone.

With the save game loaded, I noticed on the top right of the HUD there was blue + sign without the circle. It was the UDV symbol for local scanning. It appears to have glitched, turned on partially, but as the scanner was broken, my performance shot back up only if I use that save game.

If I start a new game, it would not work as the scanner would reset to normal. If I changemap to Memorial it would not transfer the glitch over either - both Doomone and Memorial loaded.

I just wanted to point that out and have no idea how to re-initiate that bug / conflict... but it does indicate it has something to do with entity tracking now instead of OpenGL features, brutal gore system or the weapons system.

Hopefully we can find the cause between PB and ROK later.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”