[Released] Brutal Russian Overkill

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Redem

[Released] Brutal Russian Overkill

Post by Redem »

This mod is about causing a lot of mayhem with OP weapons, with possibilities, such as wiping the entire map with single shot, killing monsters with style, or making them do it themselves - your choice. This is Russian Overkill (RO) part of the mod. Now this is multiplied by addition of Project Brutality (PB) with no changes in its performance (PB and RO simply adapt to each other when used together) to make the gameplay even more brutal and overkill'ed. And so we get Brutal Russian Overkill.

Some story:
Spoiler:
Installation (without Zandronum launcher):
1. Unpack the archive into your GZDoom folder. Use GZDoom 3.5 or higher when it becomes available.
2. Open the .ink shortcut properties and change the filename path in "target" line and "Start in" line (Win 7) to your gzdoom.exe path. Pay attention to the order in which mods are loaded: Project Brutality first, Russian Overkill second.
3. Run the .ink, select doom wad and enjoy. You can use additional custom wads (like HOE starter pack), textures (like HD), music (like DoomMetal), etc, but place them before the RO and PB in shortcut "target" line.

Download link
HD Textures, Doom Metal, HOE Starter pack

Finally, I want to give credit to Sergeant Mark IV, Painkiller and PillowBlaster for releasing BD, PB, and RO, respectively. That being said, they own these component mods, my part was mod adapting, bugfixing and rebalancing.

Notify me about any issues you find, that I may have missed. Feel free to post any suggestions as well.

Have fun.
Last edited by Redem on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:16 am, edited 17 times in total.
PillowBlaster

Re: [WIP] Brutal Russian Overkill

Post by PillowBlaster »

I wouldn't mind being asked about it first, but whatever, I could see that coming from a light mile. :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

PillowBlaster wrote:I wouldn't mind being asked about it first, but whatever, I could see that coming from a light mile. :P
I guess I'm more surprised that it didn't happen sooner, somehow...but yeah, always better to ask first when you're doing something with someone else's mod.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Somehow it doesn't fit the theme, imho. Russian Overkill is somewhat goofy and all the gore kinda ruins it. Lets see how this turns out, though.
Redem

Post by Redem »

wildweasel wrote:
PillowBlaster wrote:I wouldn't mind being asked about it first, but whatever, I could see that coming from a light mile. :P
I guess I'm more surprised that it didn't happen sooner, somehow...but yeah, always better to ask first when you're doing something with someone else's mod.
Ah, I've just read the rules, and didn't find that notification is necessary. Damn, now I feel uneasy. Well, if either of the authors object, I'll remove the link at once.
OK, can anyone confirm if it is working or not? Hate to think I could forget some detail, that will make the game crash on launch or something.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Lud wrote:Somehow it doesn't fit the theme, imho. Russian Overkill is somewhat goofy and all the gore kinda ruins it. Lets see how this turns out, though.
You're not familiar with black comedy or this trope, are you?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I am, but, still, I fail to see the correlation between a fun(ny) mod and a brutal remake. Probably just me... If I were to make a Brutal Russian Overkill, I'd probably fit the gore and explosions with the theme. Somehow the BD explosions don't seem right here, especially the Cyberdemon. Can't really explain it cause, like I said, it's probably just the way I see it.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Two different explosion styles, that I'd probably agree. But I wouldn't see additional gore in Russian Overkill out of place, in fact it makes it more hilarious.
wpninja

Post by wpninja »

Lud wrote:I am, but, still, I fail to see the correlation between a fun(ny) mod and a brutal remake. Probably just me... If I were to make a Brutal Russian Overkill, I'd probably fit the gore and explosions with the theme. Somehow the BD explosions don't seem right here, especially the Cyberdemon. Can't really explain it cause, like I said, it's probably just the way I see it.
There is one way to kind of rectify this, in project brutality the rocket launcher hits imps and sends them flying into walls or other monsters. Very comical way to make a gory kill if you ask me.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

For some reason the Quit messages are from the Game chex quest
wich is weird and im not mean a tiny bit i mean A LOT
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Look like an old version of Brutal doom,why you don't used Brutal Doom v20b?
Redem

Post by Redem »

ZioMcCall wrote:Look like an old version of Brutal doom,why you don't used Brutal Doom v20b?
That's because I've abandoned the mod for half year. Been too lazy to update it back then. However since there's an interest in such mod, I'm gonna start on updating it. After all, I've marked the project as "WIP", so should keep it up :)
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Redem wrote:
ZioMcCall wrote:Look like an old version of Brutal doom,why you don't used Brutal Doom v20b?
That's because I've abandoned the mod for half year. Been too lazy to update it back then. However since there's an interest in such mod, I'm gonna start on updating it. After all, I've marked the project as "WIP", so should keep it up :)
Nice.I should update my Brutal wolfenstein mod to Brutal doom v20b's gore too in the next update.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

So, basically:

RUSSIAN OVERKILL'S AWSOME WEAPONS OF TOTAL DESTRUCTION DROWNING IN THE BLOOD OF MILLIONS OF DEMON'S, BRUTALLY DESTROYED BY THE HANDS OF AN PSYCHO RUSSIAN MARINE, SEEKING TO AVENGE HUMANITY AND HIS PET BUNNY.

The only thing I liked about Brutal Doom was the gore, and now I can have that mixed up with the russian power!

awsome
Gabbuz85

Post by Gabbuz85 »

With Project Brutality's monsters would be 10,000 times better.
Crazy weapons + crazy monsters = Double awesome.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”