[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [v0.1.3] ARGENT - Xaser does Doom 4

Post by Captain J »

It depends on how the creator thinks. Also if the custom SS or keen still exists, we have no idea but delete them with an editor. All i can say about this is we should wait for the creator, xaser's answer.
wildweasel wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:mayhaps not replace the Nazi actor in this mod? it'd screw up mods that replace the Nazi actor with something DEHACKED-ry, for example. (and it screws up the opening to Super Sonic Doom, though that's a really ancient ZDoom mod so stuff like this is a given.)
Honestly, Super Sonic Doom just needs a lot of fixing. There are a LOT of antiquated hacks going on with it that make it difficult to run properly in modern ZDoom/GZDoom and could be done much more cleanly with new features...especially the fake 3D buildings in the first zone. That's a real shame, because the level design in SSD is otherwise quite excellent, and it really deserves an update.
All years passed, i still seriously agree. In the forest zone, it pretty lagged my computer because of shacks with inner places. And other unfairness happened thanks to their good ol' classic 3D maps. And like what Viscra said, the newly added enemies in this mod such as humans and seven sinners(except envy tho) are incredibly unfair. And especially what kind of thing should be updated is making it possible to run with weapon mod correctly, like this one! I mean, yeah. Maybe i'm very Obsessed with the weapon mods or not, but still it should be rather great if we could enjoy this mod with little bit of changes. But i still understand why monster replacement doesn't work, though. They're a lot of them and going to be hard to make it mod replacement-friendly.

And no, it still doesn't work with the weapon mods regardless; Rocket launcher and Chaingun seems uses custom ACTOR or something.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

There's at least one wad out there (Herian2) which replaces just the sprites of the SS guy but leaves the behavior untouched, though that's likely the minority given all the Scythe-types out there.

I still feel like just removing the actor is a band-aid that doesn't address real issues when they occur, which just can't be solved in a "generic" sense. Though now I'm thinking I may go ahead with the patch plan but export the current nazi actor to a "doom2" patch, to keep it on the same level as everything else, pretty much.

This is one of those things that's technically trivial to solve but requires stupid-amounts of thought or effort to get it "just right". I hate those types of things. :P

[EDIT] While I'm here, have a preview of the thing I'm currently working on:

[DOUBLE-EDIT]

Comparison with the original HUD via lazypasting:

Mine's way more blue but I like blue. :<
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

actually, i think the seven sinners in SSD are laughably easy to take down. they don't really hit that, you fight them one-on-one, and they have a big health-bar that helpfully tells you how much damage you need to do to kill them. it's most of the custom monsters that are a pain to kill, really.

liking the new HUD a lot though. i also wanted to say, Doom 4 has a separate pick-up sound for the bigger health-kits in the game, maybe it could be added to this mod?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Of course, sometimes they're easy to take them down. but If the monsters helping them, it's real trouble. Especially some sinner who has goddamn railgun... But, i'm still dreaming for possibility of the weapon mod-friendly!
Xaser wrote:Mine's way more blue but I like blue. :<
Darn straight. Anyway good luck with the patch, we'll need it.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Re: Stunning, I have two thought paths:
  1. Does the stun effect require an actor state, or is it something you could do through a script and/or hit flags? I ask because I recently had to wrap my brain around stunning actors without modifying their code. (And without HIT* flags for compat reasons.) I ended up setting them to their Pain state every tic for the duration of the stun.
  2. Perhaps you can still edit the SS:
    randi wrote:As long as an actor users any of the stock actors' states (via inheritance), they can also be subject to DEHACKED modifications.
    If all you do is inherit and add new states, it might still work. Maybe.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Xaser, I made a few D4-styled ammo pickups a while back. Do you want to use these?

Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks for the offer, but the shading on these is a bit too flat/rough, I'm afraid. Something may or may not be in the works regarding pickups anyhow, emphasis on "may or may not".
NeuralStunner wrote:Re: Stunning, I have two thought paths...
I feel compelled to trust your advice here given your username. :P

In seriousness, it may indeed be possible to whip up something that doesn't require actor mods, which would be pretty grand, though I'm gonna have to come up with some serious A_RadiusGive wizardry, likely. Gears are turning now... thanks for that. :D

On another note, HUD progress:

Fullscreen HUD is just about done, but there may be a couple of side effects that need addressing. :P
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

That item I take to get the Weapon Mod? I came in half game and so far nothing. :shrug:

Configured Swap Weapon Mod Mod Options key in and also had no effect . :(
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Mods haven't been added yet except for the Heavy AR (and sorta the chaingun). You'll have to input a cheat to enable it though -- type "pukename gimmemods" with the AR selected and then the swap weapon mod key will work.

Work-in-progress pains.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Xaser wrote:Thanks for the offer, but the shading on these is a bit too flat/rough, I'm afraid. Something may or may not be in the works regarding pickups anyhow, emphasis on "may or may not".
Speaking of which, maybe i'll going to sprite them. Later, Maybe. >:)

EDIT: Ugh, sorry for being a big mouth, i'm keep looking for the ammo screenshots but it's actually harder than i thought. But at least i found grenade screenshots, tho!
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Xaser wrote:Mods haven't been added yet except for the Heavy AR (and sorta the chaingun). You'll have to input a cheat to enable it though -- type "pukename gimmemods" with the AR selected and then the swap weapon mod key will work.

Work-in-progress pains.
Thanks! :thumb: I will test. :D
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Xaser wrote:Work-in-progress pains.
Welcome to our world.
GOODGOOD

Post by GOODGOOD »

Okay Xaser or somebody, I need some help because when i run on ZDoom the weapons sprites doesn't show up So please help me i want to play you're mod.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've actually had a similar issue with ZDoom lately, where the weapon sprites appeared to be invisible.

First of all, double check that "r_drawplayersprites" is "1" (type that name into the console to get the number). This is probably not the culprit, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Secondly, go into your video mode settings and change "force aspect ratio" to some other value, and see if that clears it up. For me, the weapon sprites are seemingly invisible if the aspect ratio is forced into 5:4, but your situation may vary.
GOODGOOD

Post by GOODGOOD »

Jimmy wrote:I've actually had a similar issue with ZDoom lately, where the weapon sprites appeared to be invisible.

First of all, double check that "r_drawplayersprites" is "1" (type that name into the console to get the number). This is probably not the culprit, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Secondly, go into your video mode settings and change "force aspect ratio" to some other value, and see if that clears it up. For me, the weapon sprites are seemingly invisible if the aspect ratio is forced into 5:4, but your situation may vary.
Sorry for the reply and Thank You for helping me :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”