[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [v0.3.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Postby eppn5 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:36 am

BerserkerNoir wrote:You plan to update the SSG Sprites?
The old Ones look kinda out of place, the new ones in D4D are the best and look really smooth.

The SSG sprites in D4D haven't been released for public use yet.
eppn5
Crusader in Hell

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:51 am

Xaser wrote:Oddly enough, I don't plan on switching out the SSG. I'm rather fond of the current sprites and I don't wanna copy it from D4D. Another differentiator, too. :P
Carbine Dioxide
Me and Pain go way back.

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:53 am

some of the gun mods could stand with a bit of a buff, i think.

the shotgun explosive shot is pretty good and can wipe out a group of small enemies easily, but the triple burst is a bit weak compared to the SSG. i was thinking if it were strong enough to reliably kill Revenants, it would be good enough, as the spread is tight enough as it is.

the HAR's micro missiles could maybe do with a small firepower boost? enough to kill a Caco, perhaps? not entirely necessary though as it is fairly strong, but it loses out a great deal to the chaingun when you get it.

rocket launcher... maybe give the remote detonation a larger explosive radius so it can cover more ground? damage is fine since the RL is stronger here anyway.

Siege Mode for Gauss Cannon needs a larger AoE effect, i think. you have to more or less line everyone up in a row to make the most of it, and even then it can flub a few enemies. sometimes it seems it's strong enough to kill a baron, other times it fails to do that? it also feels like the Precision Bolt actually has some of the piercing effect of Siege Mode, which IIRC it's not supposed to have...

Mobile Turret is good, perhaps a bit too good though as the bullet to damage ratio seems a bit out of wack. compare it to the Gatling Rotator, which feels like it uses up much more ammo than the turret to kill something (which is how it should be, but i guess it feels like mobile turret is far, far stronger.)

lastly, the BFG seems a bit less ultimate in this version? it doesn't seem to be able to kill a mastermind reliably at a moderate distance, as well as the two-shot against a Cyber. it seems okay for crowds, but then you'll have to shoot the ball so it doesn't actually collide with the enemies, and unless you have a large open space, the shot flubs a lot. i'm talking about the modern version of course. i guess if it traveled just a bit slower, the rays would have more time to deal damage against a single boss target.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby Xaser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Frankly, I agree with your suggestions for the shotgun, micro missiles, and RL power -- they're a bit too far on the low-side after playing with it a bunch myself. Slowing down the Modern BFG isn't a bad idea either, though I'll need to play with it to make sure it doesn't tip the scale too much the other way. Or maybe just increase the impact effect+damage? It's really meant to be an "open area room cleaner".

I probably need to rethink how I'm doing Siege Mode since the slowdown effect is really taking its toll on aiming the darn thing. Having some more leeway would likely be a godsend, and I suppose I don't have to worry about +NORADIUSDMG since I've taken that off the bosses. Tweaks ahoy!

BTW, I'm still actively working on this. I literally have it open in SLADE as we speak, converting things over to the fabled ZScript. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:24 pm

ah, does it mean i should upgrade to a newer version of GZDoom then? or is ZScript still very much in the works?
Lives To Serve

Postby Xaser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:40 pm

The latest official GZDoom & QZDoom support ZScript officially now. Happy new year! :D
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby TechnoDoomed1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:09 pm

You awesome man, you knew that?

I specially love the mod selection menu, it's one of this little touches I find so cool.
TechnoDoomed1

Postby Deii » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Happy new year to everyone!

I wanted to ask the man himself though: is there any chance we could get occasional health/ammo bonuses from monsters? I know it's something that D4D and even Meta Doom have already, but sometimes I find myself backed into a corner by a bunch of low-level monsters and I really wish killing one of them would give me at least 5% health back in some way or another.

I'm not against implementing that as an optional behavior change, but at the same time I kinda know it goes against your design philosophy so...yeah.
Deii

Discord: Deii #0915

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:52 pm

it could be neat as an option, with a slider to set when HP drops would occur, from 100% (always) to 0% (never). at least if it were optional i can see no reason to complain about it.
Lives To Serve

Postby Deii » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah, that's actually even better and I suppose not too difficult to implement. It also safeguards the feature in that Xaser wouldn't need to update it as much in the future to make it balanced.
Deii

Discord: Deii #0915

Postby Xaser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm certainly not opposed to adding such a thing, though it's low-priority. I like the slider idea, though I'd definitely keep the default at 0% so it's strictly opt-in.

Adding this ought to be super-easy in the future once ZScript allows defining custom functions on the base Actor class, which is still something on the not-yet-done list last I checked.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby YvonneG » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:03 am

Is there a console input for spawning the chaingun? Mostly for Doom 1, since Spidermastermind is only avaiable as a boss. Also, it doesn't drop a chaingun, even if I kill it.
YvonneG

Postby BerserkerNoir » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 am

YvonneG wrote:Is there a console input for spawning the chaingun? Mostly for Doom 1, since Spidermastermind is only avaiable as a boss. Also, it doesn't drop a chaingun, even if I kill it.

Summon Argchaingun.
BerserkerNoir

Discord: BerserkerNoir#7735
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Xaser » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:16 pm

YvonneG wrote:Also, it doesn't drop a chaingun, even if I kill it.

This doesn't seem possible. Are you sure it's not just appearing on the other side of the spidey's corpse?

[Not that it matters much in Doom 1, of course. An inevitability of sorts.]
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby YvonneG » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Xaser wrote:
YvonneG wrote:Also, it doesn't drop a chaingun, even if I kill it.

This doesn't seem possible. Are you sure it's not just appearing on the other side of the spidey's corpse?

[Not that it matters much in Doom 1, of course. An inevitability of sorts.]

Yeah. My bad. It was actually my fault. I was using a mutator for disabling hitscan attacks, and Spidermastermind's actor was replaced :P . I should have seen it coming.
YvonneG

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods