[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [v0.3.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Postby Machine-Reaper » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Using your earlier item based Modding system for weapons, same can be used for Grenades,

Pick up Weapon mod Item > Use Item on Weapons to get Mod

Pick up Grenade mod Item > Use Item to get a single Grenade of any type from Selection Screen (Max 3 can be equipped at a time) (Press [F]rag, [G]syphon, [H]olo to throw grenades normally with any weapon equipped and not required to be equipped as a separate weapon, just shown on screen)

Pick up Suit mod Item > Use Item upgrade Armour or Health Permanently?
Machine-Reaper
commander tea cup reporting for duty!

Postby Stuka » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Great mod, one question is compatible with other addons or not for the moment?
Stuka

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby DoomKrakken » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:40 pm

From what I've seen in the code, it's fairly vanilla. None of the monsters really have special interactions with the weapons themselves, so I think you can use this with other generic weapon/monster mods.
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby Xaser » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:19 am

The only monster edits that are "essential" are the cyber/spider, since they drop a couple of the new guns (gauss/chaingun). Otherwise, monster replacement wads have a chance of working. No guarantees in general, of course, but give it a try and lemme know what works for curiosity's sake.

On the earlier topic, thanks for the Equipment suggestions. I'm sorta leaning toward something similar (though not identical) to Doomguy5th's suggestion:
  • Equipment items may be "purchased" via using a Mod Kit and selecting the Fist
  • Equipment will recharge similar to D44M. Wouldn't feel right to make it limited-use if you get it through the Mod Kit (as it awards permanent items otherwise).
  • Equipment takes inventory slots; use the 'nade to toss a 'nade, etc. No funky extra keybinds needed.
Not quite sure how to switch between all the different equipment items on the mod kit menu yet, but I'll think of something.

As a final aside, I've been porting some stuff over to ZScript since that's very nearly a thing now, and I may make some zscript builds available sometime in the near future. Hooray for more unintentional D4D-footsteps-following. :P

Doomguy5th wrote:EDIT 2: By the way, Xaser, which version of ZDoom are you using? The current ZDoom SVN (November 20th or something like that, non-64 bit version) crashes randomly.

Mine's dated Oct 7th. Not sure what to do aside from file a ZDoom bug report it if it's still happening, since folks have reported other mods doing the same thing and it suffers from the dreaded Works For Me(tm) issue on my side. Sorry there. :(
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:30 am

I forgot about the Cyberdemons/Masterminds dropping additional weapons...

Yeah, that's fairly essential.
DoomKrakken

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:32 am

Btw, if you're interested in it, i made a MIDI of BFG Division that you can use as READ_M music, sknce i noticed there is no replacement for it right now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik62yfjryo0jf ... 5.mid?dl=0
Last edited by Princess Viscra Maelstrom on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby BerserkerNoir » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:51 pm

I really liked this mod, brings all the weapons with upgrades but without changing the enemies.
Still, any chances to upgrade the ammo system? Like the Ammo Lot with the chainsaw or backpacks with random spawn with the ModKit.
BerserkerNoir

Discord: BerserkerNoir#7735
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Xaser » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Still plinking away at this. Working on converting the mod system over to zscript on a branch, which'll allow me to easily patch up a lot of minor (and major D:) issues that are floating aboot. Should be something newsworthy soonish. :P

@Princess Viscra Maelstrom: Thanks for the donation! Shortly after beta release, though, Kate drafted up a D_READ_M so the slot's no longer empty -- I'll certainly keep this one around though for possible future use though (trailers?). Sorry for the timing there. :(

@BerserkerNoir: The ability to pick a backpack instead of a mod is officially on the to-do list, for those who wish to snag the 'pack early. Hopefully that helps a bit.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby DoomKrakken » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Here's an idea... while the mod menu is open, you can have the player use the Reload button to convert it into a backpack, if he so desires...
DoomKrakken

Postby Xaser » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:27 pm

...That is a perfectly-simple way to implement it. Thanks there! I'll do just that. :D
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby DoomKrakken » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 pm

No problem! Glad to help! :D

Here's another idea... if you wanted to go a slightly more complicated route and have variable maximum health/armor/ammo, you could have it so that the Reload key switches between three different menus. The first one you see would be the standard mod menu for the weapon you have selected currently. The second would be a health/armor menu (use Fire to select one and AltFire to select the other), and then the third menu can have you expand your ammo (use Fire and/or AltFire to select that option). This would be an excellent place to implement progressive increase in max ammo capacity, like in D4... or, you can still use the same old Backpack function you have currently. Totally up to you. :)

Pressing Reload from there will cycle you back to the mod menu.
DoomKrakken

Postby Xaser » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:17 am

I'm not planning on implementing Argent Cache-style stat upgrades (or weapon upgrades aside from the mod installations) in ARGENT itself -- though these ideas may be useful for a certain downstream project. O;

I may end up doing something similar-but-opposite for the eventual Equipment "purchase" menu: have fire/altfire cycle between the different equipment types (when the Fist is selected) and have Reload do the "purchase." Seems like the most flexible way to do things since there can be any number of items in the list, though it's a bit less automatically-clear than weapon mods. It's a start, at least.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby DoomKrakken » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Using mod kits to make equipment would be an interesting idea... :)
DoomKrakken

Postby Doomguy5th » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:44 am

Well, good thing that this mod works with QZDoom; now I just need to hope that QZDoom doesn't crash randomly, like my previous issues with the ZDoom Devbuilds (it probably won't). Onto recording Jenesis with this mod!
Doomguy5th

Postby BerserkerNoir » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 pm

You plan to update the SSG Sprites?
The old Ones look kinda out of place, the new ones in D4D are the best and look really smooth.
BerserkerNoir

Discord: BerserkerNoir#7735
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods