[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [v0.3.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Postby Nems » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:44 pm

OMG Xaser you sexy beast <3

Downloaging this before I go to bed, gonna give it a go with DUMP 3 (once I finish DUMP 2). :D
Nems
"small monster loops"

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:49 pm

Xaser wrote:Oh sheeeet! v0.3.0 exists! So do weapon mods! Hot doggity dig!

I'll post up some more promotional info at some point, but for now, I've edited the first post and uploaded a quick vid showing off the mod system and the new Gauss animations:

Enjoy, folks!
Sweet devilish hotdog on a hellish meatball! Glad it's updated, also i see some pickup sprites for D2016 were already made, so it's really excellent to see someone did it!

...Except Gauss Cannon's cooling animation seems much faster than its sound effect. Is because of the upgrade?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:51 pm

I have to question the relevance of this project, now that Doom 4 for Doom has been released.

Are you not part of its development team, by the way? If so, why are you making your own D4 mod?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby wildweasel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:00 am

I imagine this mod has a different end goal compared to D4D, despite using the same base graphics. I think there's room for more than one Doom 4 mod if they're all under different design philosophies.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Overlord » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:18 am

and why not? i saw a lot of monster replacer monsters/weapons mods and they're all different gameplay/features
Overlord

Postby Captain J » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:34 am

If they want to make their own stuff with brand new resources some people used, they can. Making it with their own style? Of course, they can.

For Instance, Xaser who made this mod, had mentioned the D4D team and said it's his own spin-off. So basically others including him can make their own for inspiration or tribute. And mentioning or crediting like what he did makes it clear and better.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Xaser » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:03 pm

I'm making this mod because I want to, and modding's fun. There need not be any other reason for its continuation than that.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:36 pm

plus, as far as i know, D4D and Argent plays different and has enough under-the-hood changes that makes them distinct enough, anyway. no reason you can't make your own Doom 4 mod just because a more popular alternative exists.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby DBThanatos » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37 pm

@Xaser: Holy damn. Those are some ridicolously juicy animations. Looks fantastic!

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I have to question the relevance of this project, now that Doom 4 for Doom has been released.

Are you not part of its development team, by the way? If so, why are you making your own D4 mod?

Please dont do that. No need to be comparing stuff. Like we've said before "the more, the merrier". This is Xaser's interpretation of the doom 4 weapons, and it doesnt need any perceived "relevance" to exist. Like Xaser said:
Xaser wrote:I'm making this mod because I want to, and modding's fun. There need not be any other reason for its continuation than that.

I think we all (modders) do mods precisely because we have fun making them, and playing what we create. Not so much about "what hasnt been done before? i want to do that"
DBThanatos
Guns, explosions, gore.

Postby mrsmurrell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:45 pm

wow I love this ! does this work with Phobos867's Add-ons for D4D ?? I like the new imps and the gore nests in that mod.
it be nice to use the new styled monsters and gore nests put into doom so it fit into doom lvls maybe adding or expanding the odd room for the gore nests so u have a bigger fighting area for the monster spawns
mrsmurrell

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:11 pm

I doubt it'd work with addons intended for another mod.
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby DrPyspy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:36 pm

I really enjoyed what I played of this mod! The guns feel great, and I really like the animations. The only animation I have a problem with is the shotgun's firing animation, but it doesn't really detract from the feel of the weapon. I also really like the MIDI renditions of the Doom 4 songs.

Have you considered switching out the Super Shotgun sprites? I recall seeing a new set that looks closer to its appearance in Doom 4, but I haven't been keeping a close eye so I'm not sure if they're available or not.
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:45 pm

They're not available from Neccronixis's thread... but one can get them from D4D.
DoomKrakken

Postby Xaser » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Oddly enough, I don't plan on switching out the SSG. I'm rather fond of the current sprites and I don't wanna copy it from D4D. Another differentiator, too. :P

@DBThanatos: thanks for the kind words n' backup!
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Ah, that's too bad... the new SSG sprites looked much more like the one from DOOM...

By the way, have you considered donating some of the animations you did here to D4D? The way the weapons move here seem to be much smoother. :)
DoomKrakken

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods