[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [v0.1.3] ARGENT - Xaser does Doom 4

Postby Kinsie » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:52 pm

Arctangent wrote:Honestly, the shotgun animations look straight out of a Flash animation, and that's not a compliment. The gun doesn't seem to actually recoil in any sensible way, it just flat-out doesn't look right. The pumping also has the same issue.
This is really a problem with every mod that uses Neccronixis's sprites.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Captain J » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 pm

Unless D4D, though(no it's not an advertisement). I always thought the animation in this mod is pretty darn smooth.

Also neccronixis' sprites has lack of rotation, so maybe that's the reason why the animations in every d4 mods looks like flash-made. But i'm not blaming him, though.

EDIT:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:well, to be honest, the shotgun in Doom 4 always felt a bit wimpy to me in terms of animation. it doesn't recoil much there either, it doesn't do that much damage, and the impact of the gun is kind of lessened due to its high fire-rate. at least Xaser made an attempt here to make the shotgun feel a bit more powerful by having the gun tilt back after firing.
Yes, that's true. On the bright side, Xaser really did his best to make it more active. But the problem i can detect is it doesn't looks like much smoother than what D4D did. Perhaps that's the reason, i guess?
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:13 am

well, to be honest, the shotgun in Doom 4 always felt a bit wimpy to me in terms of animation. it doesn't recoil much there either, it doesn't do that much damage, and the impact of the gun is kind of lessened due to its high fire-rate. at least Xaser made an attempt here to make the shotgun feel a bit more powerful by having the gun tilt back after firing.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby enderkevin13 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:46 am

So do you plan on using the newer sprites?
enderkevin13
Official abbadon of ZDoom
Banned User

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:29 am

Arctangent wrote:Honestly, the shotgun animations look straight out of a Flash animation, and that's not a compliment. The gun doesn't seem to actually recoil in any sensible way, it just flat-out doesn't look right. The pumping also has the same issue.

Well, it actually is imitating weapon mod switching in the actual DOOM game... where the weapon lowers, and doesn't show you first removing the mod you already have there, and then raising it again to install the mod you wanted.

You might want to talk to Neccronixis about that, since he was the spriter who did the animations.
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:16 am

i noticed those animations too. especially the Burst Shot mod here looks a lot more refined than the one in D4D now. although, i guess D4D is getting similar animations?
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby Xaser » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:40 pm

Regarding animations, I'm curious to know what the suggested alternative would be. The other basic-ish approaches I've seen thus far are to either rotate the sprite when pumping (Brutal Doom addon) or not rotate it at all (D4D), both of which I like less.

To really make the recoil "realistic", one would need to sprite a lot of additional frames of the weapon kicking back (i.e. "zoomed in" for lack of a better term), which is a bit too time consuming to consider just yet. I might kick such a thing in the "eventually" bucket, but other stuff (i.e. getting the rest of the mods+sprites in) takes priority for now.

Regarding mod-swapping, Doom4 itself indeed had no "disassembly" animations and the idea is conveyed well enough already IMO. No need to lengthen the animation any further than it already is.

Semi-update: I'm currently plinking away at the Gauss mods right now. GitHub's showing activity for those curious about it. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby zrrion the insect » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:55 pm

You can accomplish the "zoomed in" effect by scaling the sprites in TEXTURES and it ends up looking pretty good when done well.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Arctangent » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:20 pm

zrrion the insect wrote:You can accomplish the "zoomed in" effect by scaling the sprites in TEXTURES and it ends up looking pretty good when done well.

Yeah, this was what I was thinking it could use. Still "cheap" animation, but it honestly looks a lot better than just straight rotation.

Xaser wrote:Regarding mod-swapping, Doom4 itself indeed had no "disassembly" animations and the idea is conveyed well enough already IMO. No need to lengthen the animation any further than it already is.

Maybe it'd be better if the swap-out animation wasn't just ... the weapon lowering. That just screams to me that what's going isn't actually the weapon switching modes, but you're just flat-out switching to another weapon. Though on the lengthening the animation point, I don't really see how it would; I just meant playing a small portion of the assembly animation in reverse as the gun lowered - you may not actually see the mod come off, but it's very blatantly hinted.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby EXPERTKILL5 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 am

How i instale this? I want it
EXPERTKILL5

Postby Hellser » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

EXPERTKILL5 wrote:How i instale this? I want it

Consult with your local wiki for further assistance. :)
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby EXPERTKILL5 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Could this be intalled in doom-touch cause it seem really good but i CAN'T play it help pls
EXPERTKILL5

Postby lizardcommando » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:39 pm

EXPERTKILL5 wrote:Could this be intalled in doom-touch cause it seem really good but i CAN'T play it help pls
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby Xaser » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am

Hmm, Beloko's page isn't clear on which version of GZDoom is being used, but yeah, it's not likely too be recent enough to run ARGENT. May be worth getting in touch with him and seeing if he'd be willing to put out a version for a bleeding-edge GZDoom build, though it's maybe a long shot.
Xaser
anarchivist

Re: [v0.3.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Postby Xaser » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Oh sheeeet! v0.3.0 exists! So do weapon mods! Hot doggity dig!

I'll post up some more promotional info at some point, but for now, I've edited the first post and uploaded a quick vid showing off the mod system and the new Gauss animations:

Enjoy, folks!

[EDIT] As the usual forward-disclaimer, this is still in alpha so there are still some known issues (hopefully all of which are chronicled on GitHub). If anything funky pops up, post it here or on GH so I can get to fixifying it.
Last edited by Xaser on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods