[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheFailgunner

Re: [v0.1.3] ARGENT - Xaser does Doom 4

Post by TheFailgunner »

Does it works on GzDoom? cuz it is not working, plz answer ;-;
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

how exactly is it not working? does GZDoom not even launch, does the mod give some script errors, does the mod behave strange when you're playing the game? i would suggest updating GZDoom if you're using an old version of it.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

TheFailgunner wrote:Does it works on GzDoom? cuz it is not working, plz answer ;-;
What version are you using?

Also I look forward to when you update this mod Xaser, even with all the new sprites Neccronixis will be releasing on the 18th of July. It mixes the new Doom with the old Doom very well in my opinion.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Now that the new weapon sprites are already out, are you planning to add more mods to other weapons (such as the combat shotgun)?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Glad you asked! Got a relevant new vid:

Progress is slow but steady. Been doing a bunch of sprite tweaking of the hell of it, partially to set it apart from D4D and also because of the "why not?" factor.

Also, have a bonus "oops" vid. Blaze it.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

enemies gib from close range shotgun blasts now? nice
'break mods at the speed of 2100 explosions per minute!'
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I should probably clarify (since it's buried in the YT video description): I have the mod's "Monsters Always Gib" flag set to 'true'. More fun that way. :P
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

oh.
make it a feature anyway?
just a custom damage type for the shotguns and a_jumpifcloser for the monsters
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Xaser's good ol' instagib features are still alive yet fresh, eh? I still remember it to this day since zen dynamics.

Anyway, really good and meaty animation you made there! Can't wait for more!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I love this! I especially love how you did the tracers there... very ingenious and efficient!

Can't wait for the weapon mods... :D

One thing... I think the BFG tracers are too strong. As far as I remember, they weren't strong enough to clear a whole room of Barons, Knights, Revenants, and Mancubi, all with one shot. Zombies and Imps, maybe... but not the more elite monsters. It also kind of defeats the purpose of the BFG ball itself, which is supposed to hit something and make it go kablooey. I like being able to hit monsters with the BFG ball itself.

Maybe consider nerfing the damage of those tracers, while buffing the damage of the actual ball? Although... firing a ball that fires killer tracers (rather than less lethal tracers) automatically at your enemies is fun too... so maybe put that idea under yet another type of BFG ball for the BFG CVar?
ijon

Post by ijon »

barons and cyber-fatsos are the only two normal monsters in doom 4 that can *potentially* survive being in a bfg ball's *insane* blast radius

the tracers? those tear up everything up to fatsos on their own, even without the explosion.

the bfg really is a fire-and-forget room clearer in doom 4.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I don't remember it being able to do that to Barons... by tracers alone, that is.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

Xaser wrote:
Oh wow! Those shotgun animations remind me of the ones I made for my Brutal Doom sub mod, IB. Except IMO, these look much smoother!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

DoomKrakken wrote:I don't remember it being able to do that to Barons... by tracers alone, that is.
The tracers does great deal of damage, so it is possible to neutralize barons and even put them to death. Even though i haven't played it yet, but some articles and videos tells it all.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Honestly, the shotgun animations look straight out of a Flash animation, and that's not a compliment. The gun doesn't seem to actually recoil in any sensible way, it just flat-out doesn't look right. The pumping also has the same issue.

Also, I feel like when the weapon lowers to change weapon mods, there should be at least some attempt to look like the current mod's being removed while the gun lowers. Right now it doesn't so much convey the fact that you're just swapping out parts of the same gun, it looks like you're changing to a different gun with an equip animation where you put the gun together.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”