[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [v0.3.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Atendega wrote:Ah well. I just think it's kind of odd that a mod whose purpose is to replace the classic Doom weapons with their 2016 versions instead replaces one of them with something completely different :? It's my only real quibble with this mod, which is otherwise far more polished than other available options, imo.
The SSG isn't completely different, it functions quite perfectly in my opinion to the SSG in DOOM 2016. It just doesn't look exactly the same, but you could say that about some of Necronixxis's other sprites anyway.
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

The other sprites are pretty excellent likenesses. This one is totally different, the only real similarity is that it's a double-barreled shotgun. The fact that it's sprite was totally redone is evidence enough that the original was inaccurate. I do like the old sprite itself, but it just isn't the 2016 SSG.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

since there's an option for toggling between the old and new BFG functionality, the shotgun sprites can be compromised with an option too, right?
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I haven't looked at the code, but that is probably a tall order.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

If I make 'em use the same number of frames and animation offsets, it'd be quite simple. I may end up doing exactly that, given how the poll is going. :P
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

The one and only thing I see as a nit pick for the current sprites is the reload animation, as Doom Guy reloads it more manually than in the DOOM 2016 SSG. It's like the first person introduction of the SSG in game, if that makes sense.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, judging from how the poll's going, you're gonna have a much more authentic option to choose from soon. :P

The newer sprites will be the default, BTW, with an option to swap back to the older ones. I'm a sucker for customization apparently.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

I have recently given a full run of Dump3 using this mod, and I must say it's been pretty fun. 8-)

My only complain so far is that the game feels a little too easy. The rocket launcher is so overpowered, it's difficult not to fall in love with it.
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

I threw together a simple comparison of the SSGs, if anyone finds that useful :3
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

While the older one's angle is risen, the new one just nails it all.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

So...

I suppose there's a reason to release a v0.3.1 soon.
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

\O/

Let all OCD-ridden nigglers rejoice :V

Once again, I'm impressed by the speed with which you got that done!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Funny enough, it took me less time to do the fix than it's taken me to make a release afterward. Doh! -- thanks there though. It'll happen soon. :P

There's still few weapon damage tweaks to do, and after playing a bit more nu-Doom lately, I noticed a bit of a derp-up in the mod: ARGENT's Gauss uses 20 cells per shot when in the actual game it only uses 15. Similarly, Siege Mode ammo cost is 30 while Precision Bolt usage appears to be... 15 still, for increased damage, which makes that particular mod "the ammo efficient one," in theory (though you still get way more mileage out of Siege in practice).

tl;dr: I'm a bit torn on whether or not to change the ammo usage mod-side. Currently, those 20 cells per Gauss beam do 20 plasma shots worth of damage, so if I lower the ammo cost, I've either got to bump the damage down or risk the plasma becoming a bit of an ammo waster... kinda like OG Doom, really. 40 plasma balls vs. 1 BFG shot? No contest on which one's more useful there, and I've been trying to avoid that exact scenario in the mod. So...

I'm thinking keep normal and siege at 20/40, and reduce the Precision Bolt ammo cost to 20 to fit the game behavior a bit more. Should make that particular mod more desirable too. Thoughts?

[Thought #2: thinking of also porting D44M's mastery behavior of making fully-charged Precision Bolts cause enemies to explode on death (i.e. deal radius damage like a barrel), because that's just fun as hell.]
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

I'm a stickler for accuracy, so my preference would be for its behavior to match DOOM 2016. In practice, however, I'll play it either way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
YvonneG

Post by YvonneG »

I have a question.

Would you maybe consider making a Zandronum-based port? You know: mostly for multiplayer (both co-op and deathmatch), and specially for those PCs without OpenGl 3+ (not my case, though).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”