[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ragequit

Re: [v0.5.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Ragequit »

Bit of a problem with the 'nades -- When you exit a map with more than 1 grenade charged, you will enter the next map with only one grenade charged, the others will have to recharge again.
(3 grenades is maximum you can buy for people who happen to not be Xaser)
Xaser

Re: [v0.5.1] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Got it fixed. For those who haven't already got a savefile (or abhor downloading 50 megabytes for a 1-line fix), I've upped v0.5.1 which fixes the 'nade charging -- download's in the usual folder. All better-er now!
Ragequit wrote:(3 grenades is maximum you can buy for people who happen to not be Xaser)
For people who do happen to be me, the maximum you can buy is slightly higher:
Ragequit

Post by Ragequit »

Xaser wrote:For people who do happen to be me, the maximum you can buy is slightly higher:
About 210 grenades thrown in an estimated span of 18.5 seconds.
That's some very good arm action Argent Doomguy has going for him.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I want to make a punmanteau, but all I can think of is "Armgent". I need about six trillion sleeps.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Best KEK ever. :D

"Slightly higher", he says.

Hey, Xaser, so I noticed that you actually edited the EMG Pistol's sprite so that it was pointed even more forward whenever charging up a Charged Energy Shot, like what actually happens in the game. Would you be able to show me how you did that?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I don't really have a special trick or technique for the sprite edits, unfortunately -- I just pixel-edited them using my janky half-artist skills. You can maybe get away with using a skew effect to start the work then edit from there, but there's no one-shot solution that doesn't involve spending a lot of time with a paintbrush.

One thing I do find helps a ton is having an editor where the paint-dropper (or whatever named equivalent that lets you set your paintbrush color by clicking on a pixel in the image) has a convenient keybind -- it's just ctrl+click for me in PSP7, which saves eons of time. Half of what I do is fill in space by doodling texture patterns with neighboring colors. :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It's no problem. I was wondering if you did anything differently. Turns out, that's actually the exact way that I edited some of the sprites I had... holy cow... :D
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Very nice mod!
I played this mod for 12+ hours, and I had so much fun.(Especially with new BFG)

Suggestion:
I want reserve ammunition indicator on HUD.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Bug report:
The game stopped when I used Stun bomb to monsters.
Mod's version is V.0.5.1, and I was using GZdoom g3.1.0.
I screenshotted console message.
http://i.imgur.com/Peyt0hW.png
Last edited by Rachael on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Converted image to URL - it was way too big.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Yuck! I see the issue in the code -- missing null check (and some ugly coding in general). It seems likely this will happen if you kill a Lost Soul or Pain Elemental while they're stunned.

Thanks for the report -- I'll crank out a fix when I can.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Just wanted to say that I'm having a lot of fun with this. I have to admit to pretty much ignoring the upgrade system in favour of just playing through WADs with the standard guns but I do really like them. It's great to have a mod with Doom 4 weapons that I can play with keyboard only.

I wonder, though, if it would be possible to change or give the option to switch the 'Secret Found' sting to something else. I kinda feel like Bill and Ted have just walked in the room every time it goes off! :P
Xaser

Re: [v0.5.2] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Well, it took a bit longer than I expected thanks to grievous distractions, but v0.5.2 is out, with a few bugfixes and additions:
  • Fixed VM Abort when killing a stunned Lost Soul or Pain Elemental.
  • Added a reticle indicator thingy for the Rocket Launcher's Lock-on Burst mod (finally -- I kept forgetting about this).
  • Added a screen flash effect when "purchasing" something with the mod kit.
  • Rewrote the BFG code to be less-hacky & more zscript-y. Of particular note is that the Modern BFG's zappy things will correctly cease to fire if the player (or an ally) is standing in the way. This is a slight behavior nerf if for some reason you'd gotten used to firing forward in order to zap enemies directly behind you, but the behavior makes more sense than the previous one (where players were just arbitrarily immune to the BFG zap damagetype).
The download's available in that one particular folder as usual. Enjoy!

@Outtagum: I can't think of a way offhand to make the secret found sound (heh) configurable via an option or somesuch, so my advice may be make a quick patch wad (or request it from someone) that replaces the sound with something else... which is far from ideal, of course. Welp. :P

Glad you're enjoying it, though!
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Is there a possibility that the Super Shotgun could be given an upgrade as well?

I'm liking this mod btw, especially when the backpack option was finally added.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Ah, no worries. I can live with the fanfare. Just thought I'd ask. :) Thanks for sharing your work and thanks for replying. :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks for the interest! *infinite thank-loop*
0mrcynic0 wrote:Is there a possibility that the Super Shotgun could be given an upgrade as well?
I've never really considered it since D44M's SSG didn't have any weapon mods either (just incremental upgrades & mastery, which ARGENT doesn't add either of in general). I'd not wish to hard-[No] the idea, but I wouldn't be sure what to mod in and the project's gotten a little scope-creep'd as it is. Hope that's not too disappointing to hear.

[Of course, I also did explicitly state I wasn't going to do grenades/etc., and look at us now... ;]

Return to “Gameplay Mods”